Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,900,849 times

Advertisements

Everything in downtown looks great until you drive/walk past the blue building above City Tavern on Main. It looks like an unfinished building that's been that way since we visited here 3 years ago. I'm surprised the city doesn't get on them about fixing it. Even if they just painted it a neutral color to blend in with the other buildings. You can catch a glimpse of it in the left corner of the picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Why don't they paint that building above City Tavern on Main St in downtown?-greenville-sc-13.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 05:59 PM

843 posts, read 1,423,006 times
That color is part of the charm of that building.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:04 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,750,164 times
Check out the last slide. The owner says he doesn't have the funds to fix it.

Program upgrades Greenville's commercial corridors

"Greenville gives money to select businesses to improve their building facades, while others are on their own."

Old 02-21-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Check out the last slide. The owner says he doesn't have the funds to fix it.

Program upgrades Greenville's commercial corridors

"Greenville gives money to select businesses to improve their building facades, while others are on their own."
What is it? Is it owned by City Tavern? I would think the owner would get fined for not fixing it regardless if he has the funds or not. If you own in downtown, it's just the price you have to pay IMHO. It's an eyesore.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:29 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,813,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I would think the owner would get fined for not fixing it regardless if he has the funds or not. If you own in downtown, it's just the price you have to pay IMHO. It's an eyesore.
That building is ugly as sin. But is there actually legal power to fine such people for ugly buildings?

Old 02-23-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
That building is ugly as sin. But is there actually legal power to fine such people for ugly buildings?
Usually, when you are in city limits, they are pretty strict. I'm surprised if they don't get fined. They just need to get it fixed.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:00 PM

843 posts, read 1,423,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Usually, when you are in city limits, they are pretty strict. I'm surprised if they don't get fined. They just need to get it fixed.
Problem with them being "fined" is that the plans were probably approved at one point in time. It just so happens that you think that color of siding is ugly. I have a real problem with a city approving construction 30 years ago and then coming back demanding that they need to change it, especially if it isn't a hazard in any way.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:33 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,750,164 times
From what I understand, most of Main Street downtown was "ugly" just not all that long ago. And once you leave downtown, there's plenty of "ugly" to go around. It would be seriously hard to pick and choose who you want to fine.

If it's important to the city to spruce up this place, they should do what they did for the other business owners and help pay for it. I think that's this guys beef, that some owners have received money around town to make their businesses more attractive, while others have received nothing. I can see his point.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Perhaps you could purchase the building and paint it or volunteer your time, effort and money to the building owner and paint it for him.
That would certainly be a nice "charitable" gesture on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area