Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 04:29 AM

9,502 posts, read 9,816,320 times

Advertisements

I'm all for progress and happy to see that this project will be "100% privately funded".

But I do have some thoughts:
  • This is to cost the developer somewhere between $50-60M to build? Most private investments require an ROI in around 5 years. I can't see how this will meet that goal even at 10 years. That would mean $5M in revenue (ridership) a year (10 years) just to cover construction.
  • So that $5M/year would be 500,000 passengers a year at $10 (or 1369 passengers/day).
  • The I-185 toll road was a public/private venture. Never met expectations, went bankrupt and now the public is footing the bill. Could the public (taxes) be called upon if the private venture of the rapid transit goes bankrupt to bail them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:41 AM

348 posts, read 497,081 times
Default Of Course!!!

Doesn't the "Taxpayer" at all levels,Local, State or Federal, pick up the pieces from all failed programs? It sticks in my craw, but the Green Link will be surely one of those, on an ongoing basis. Too Big to Fail!! JMHO.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 PM

105 posts, read 101,691 times
Greenlink isn't a waste, and this wouldn't be either. They achieve 1mil in ridership, and my employees who use it to get to work greatly appreciate it. Ridership has increased 6 straight years.

PRT is a step in the right direction.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
Doesn't the "Taxpayer" at all levels,Local, State or Federal, pick up the pieces from all failed programs? It sticks in my craw, but the Green Link will be surely one of those, on an ongoing basis. Too Big to Fail!! JMHO.
These PRT's have been around for over a HALF century, yet there are only FOUR being used in the entire world!

The developer estimates $10M per mile, yet we all know that there will be cost overruns of this type of mega-project. It will be hard to see how this will work without "public intervention".

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn56 View Post
Greenlink isn't a waste, and this wouldn't be either. They achieve 1mil in ridership, and my employees who use it to get to work greatly appreciate it. Ridership has increased 6 straight years.

PRT is a step in the right direction.
A Poterra bus that is built here in Greenville costs $850k each. That is steep compared to a diesel bus, but much, much cheaper than a PRT system. But again, this is "supposed" to be just private money and hey if it works without any public assistance, then that will be great.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Mass transit PodCars would sustain GreenVillages idea

Old 03-05-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
These PRT's have been around for over a HALF century, yet there are only FOUR being used in the entire world!

The developer estimates $10M per mile, yet we all know that there will be cost overruns of this type of mega-project. It will be hard to see how this will work without "public intervention".

A Poterra bus that is built here in Greenville costs $850k each. That is steep compared to a diesel bus, but much, much cheaper than a PRT system. But again, this is "supposed" to be just private money and hey if it works without any public assistance, then that will be great.
Even if it needed some public assistance, but reduced congestion significantly (thereby lowering your gas usage), lowered the cost of road maintenance (and even car maintenance due to terrible roads), and attracts more business to Greenville, it's worth it.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Even if it needed some public assistance, but reduced congestion significantly (thereby lowering your gas usage), lowered the cost of road maintenance (and even car maintenance due to terrible roads), and attracts more business to Greenville, it's worth it.
Those are a lot of "IF's". That same argument was used to justify building the I-185 toll road and we now see what happened to that.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:20 AM

826 posts, read 1,126,074 times
Even if it does get built, I seriously have my doubts about how successful it will be. While Greenville is starting develop traffic trouble spots I just don't see the proposed route doing much to reduce congestion.

While it may get used by those that live in the direct proximity to it. Greenville thankfully hasn't reached the point where it is faster, cheaper or more convenient to drive somewhere park and then get on another form of transportation. After the coolness factor wears off I don't expect the ridership to be all that great.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Those are a lot of "IF's". That same argument was used to justify building the I-185 toll road and we now see what happened to that.
It's paying for itself, has never had a taxpayer bailout, and has increased in traffic every year since 2009. It missed bond coupons to investors in the past, but now is fine. Everyone references 185 as a problem, but I use it and like it.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
It's paying for itself, has never had a taxpayer bailout, and has increased in traffic every year since 2009. It missed bond coupons to investors in the past, but now is fine. Everyone references 185 as a problem, but I use it and like it.
The toll road began having financial difficulties less than 6 years after opening which forced the owners of the road to file for bankruptcy protection. Tolls are still going up, with another increase expected in 2016, which is helping increase revenues of about $7M a year. Not bad, but not what was estimated when the road was proposed in the late 1990's, much like what is being proposed today with the PRT.

I also like the I-185. Haven't used it though in over a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area