Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:32 PM

200 posts, read 157,425 times

Advertisements

You can forget finding a 2 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood for $550ish a month now, those days are gone. High earning transplants and company transfers have pushed the rental rates through the roof. I'm a Greenville native and am back looking for an apartment, and a 1 bedroom in an "okay" complex is running $650 a month MINIMUM. The minimum I'm seeing for a 2 bedroom in an "okay" complex is around $710-$725 a month. This is in Greenville and its immediate suburbs.

If you want better than okay, be prepared to pay. The complexes are catering to the high earning transplants. There is no affordable housing left in Greenville that anybody really would choose to live in if they had other options. Middle and low earners are being ignored and left in the dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My wife & I are living in South Georgia for a bit family issues. I was in Greenville a while back & I miss it.
I loved the UU church that I went too & miss Reedy Park & I miss the ability to ride/walk the Rabbit Trail system into town. The jobs pay well there even more so considering your in the South. If you can't get a job there then your just being lazy or don't want one. The cost of living in good as well. I have seen apts
2 bedroom 1 bath for $550ish a month. Gas was always much cheaper then it was in Asheville abut 30 cents a gallon less. When we move from here Greenville is one of the places we are considering we avid hikers & for us Jones Gap & the Blue Ridge Parkway offers more then enough & TN is right up the road.
As far as religion goes other then the Bob Jones University it's pretty liberal overall. My wife likes it there also so I hope this turns out to be a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 03:58 AM

896 posts, read 1,139,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeninja View Post
You can forget finding a 2 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood for $550ish a month now, those days are gone. High earning transplants and company transfers have pushed the rental rates through the roof. I'm a Greenville native and am back looking for an apartment, and a 1 bedroom in an "okay" complex is running $650 a month MINIMUM. The minimum I'm seeing for a 2 bedroom in an "okay" complex is around $710-$725 a month. This is in Greenville and its immediate suburbs.

If you want better than okay, be prepared to pay. The complexes are catering to the high earning transplants. There is no affordable housing left in Greenville that anybody really would choose to live in if they had other options. Middle and low earners are being ignored and left in the dust.
I am very sorry to hear this. With this growth, I wondered if this was happening. Btw, we are retirees/transplants, but, not ones that came from a high income area with a lot of $$$ to buy real estate or big pension. We paid 105K for our condo.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:18 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
[quote=codeninja;42023953]You can forget finding a 2 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood for $550ish a month now, those days are gone. High earning transplants and company transfers have pushed the rental rates through the roof. I'm a Greenville native and am back looking for an apartment, and a 1 bedroom in an "okay" complex is running $650 a month MINIMUM. The minimum I'm seeing for a 2 bedroom in an "okay" complex is around $710-$725 a month. This is in Greenville and its immediate suburbs.

If you want better than okay, be prepared to pay. The complexes are catering to the high earning transplants. There is no affordable housing left in Greenville that anybody really would choose to live in if they had other options. Middle and low earners are being ignored and left in the dust.[/QUOTE

My wife and I were down there just last year and we saw same for $550. Granted they were not perfect but clean.
These were not down town but the locations were decent enough.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:37 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:

Man you really dont like transplants...

Old 11-22-2015, 02:34 PM

It's not that I don't like transplants, it's more that I don't like the deluge of new people moving here and renaming things and talking down about the older parts of the city and the people who already live here based on nothing but racial and economic stereotypes and some stats they saw on some website. We were here first and we made it possible for Falls Park and downtown, and all the other trendy places transplants love to rave about, to become what they are now and what has attracted companies and new people to the area. Something had to be here to get them here. Who do you think was paying those taxes to make those improvements? WE WERE.

And then, here come all these new people in droves moving here with their noses turned up to us, downing us, telling other people to avoid us and our neighborhoods, saying that we're dangerous and et cetera when they hadn't even bothered to try to get to know us, their neighbors. We're the wrong demographics for them: too poor and less educated as a whole, and secondarily too brown in many places. So, immediately we're written off as being of no consequence or use, so no thought is given to what happens to us when everything is geared to cater to the new people with money.

So with all the rents increasing so much in decent areas, where the hell are the people who are from here who don't work at fancy jobs with high pay supposed to live? Not all low or lower income people have bad habits or lifestyles (or are on welfare) and they shouldn't be relegated to living in the 'hood among those who do have bad habits and lifestyles just because they can't afford anything else. There used to be a middle ground, so to speak. Complexes and neighborhoods that were in between 'hood and upscale. Those don't exist anymore; now, there's only the 'hood or the upscale areas that most "regular joes" are priced out of. THAT'S my problem. You got a problem with that?

BTW, I'm educated at the graduate school level in high tech and have other marketable skills and can afford to live in an upscale apartment complex or condo. But, I'm kind of frugal. Just because I can spend the money doesn't mean I should. But, it looks like I may have no choice, so it is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Man you really dont like transplants...

Old 11-22-2015, 02:46 PM

You saw a TWO BEDROOM apartment for $550 a month? A one bedroom I could see. But, a two bedroom for that rent would be a stretch. "Decent enough" doesn't work for me. That's like saying a neighborhood is "kinda safe".
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Quote:

My wife and I were down there just last year and we saw same for $550. Granted they were not perfect but clean.
These were not down town but the locations were decent enough.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:13 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
You saw a TWO BEDROOM apartment for $550 a month? A one bedroom I could see. But, a two bedroom for that rent would be a stretch. "Decent enough" doesn't work for me. That's like saying a neighborhood is "kinda safe".
I know right. I'm paying $1,150 a month for a one bedroom.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:20 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
It's not that I don't like transplants, it's more that I don't like the deluge of new people moving here and renaming things and talking down about the older parts of the city and the people who already live here based on nothing but racial and economic stereotypes and some stats they saw on some website. We were here first and we made it possible for Falls Park and downtown, and all the other trendy places transplants love to rave about, to become what they are now and what has attracted companies and new people to the area. Something had to be here to get them here. Who do you think was paying those taxes to make those improvements? WE WERE.

And then, here come all these new people in droves moving here with their noses turned up to us, downing us, telling other people to avoid us and our neighborhoods, saying that we're dangerous and et cetera when they hadn't even bothered to try to get to know us, their neighbors. We're the wrong demographics for them: too poor and less educated as a whole, and secondarily too brown in many places. So, immediately we're written off as being of no consequence or use, so no thought is given to what happens to us when everything is geared to cater to the new people with money.
k:

Old 11-22-2015, 05:36 PM

14 posts, read 28,595 times
This post makes me sad because I will be a transplant in 6 months and I am so excited about moving there. But, I am moving there for the beautiful city that it is. I would never dream of changing it nor the people in anyway! We are moving for a better place to raise our children in and to grow old in. The way you are describing it are some of the reasons we are moving from Florida for. There are so many snow birds here and transplants that Florida's culture has been long gone for years! It is one huge melting pot, but not in a good way. And the northerners have made it so expensive here to live that you are either poor or rich. No middle class anymore. I hope this is not the case for Greenville. So sad to hear...

Old 11-22-2015, 05:46 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I know right. I'm paying $1,150 a month for a one bedroom.
You're downtown though, aren't you? I agree rents have gone up but outside of downtown, it's more affordable. Rent has gone up but same holds true for many other places. It's about supply and demand. The economy is picking up and I think that also has an effect on things. I don't think you can get an apartment in a decent area for $550, maybe $650 for a 1 bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area