Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:01 PM

503 posts, read 530,588 times

Advertisements

A couple people asked me for thoughts on my recent trip to Greenville, so here goes:

First of all, coming from the polar vortex in Connecticut, the weather was amazing -- 70's each day we were there. Two thumbs up for climate.

I was immediately struck by how much friendlier everyone seems to be. Store clerks and people in the service industry seem genuinely happy to serve you and are so polite. People in these jobs in the north are often miserable and that either comes across clearly, or is poorly hidden behind fake smiles and canned speech.

Also, countless strangers started conversations with me. I hardly ever talk to people I don't know, but I found it happening many times a day in Greenville. Usually, someone would begin by asking where I was from, and why I was visiting Greenville. Somehow natives would immediately and correctly peg me as non-native, I'm guessing due to lack of accent. When I said I was thinking about moving down, people just lit up with enthusiasm and encouragement. I was afraid there might be some negative attitude towards yankees but if anything it was the complete opposite (at least in my brief time there). At the Comedy Zone, the couple behind us in line had just moved down a year ago from New Haven, CT, and they gave glowing reviews of life in Greenville and urged us to leave CT behind ASAP.

I was very impressed with downtown. That Falls Park is in the middle of it was mind-blowingly cool, I kept saying, "I can't believe this in the middle of a city!" I went up and down the length of Main St, checking everything out. We enjoyed live music at Smiley's acoustic cafe, and went twice to Stellar wine bar (loved this place as wine drinkers). One night we ate outside at Soby's southern cuisine, which in itself was incredible to us, to be comfortably eating outdoors at night, in early March. The people-watching from this vantage point was terrific. In maybe an hour's time, I counted no less than three different gay couples walking hand in hand down the street. And this was on Sunday night, not busy. As someone concerned that the area might be too religious and socially conservative, I took this as a very positive sign.

The city itself is the perfect size for me, comparable to Hartford where I live near currently, except a million times better. Parking was not an issue, and the lots are very inexpensive compared to other cities. It doesn't seem like commuting would be too miserable. I also like how many major employers are spread out around the area in various campus settings, so odds are, you do not need to commute to downtown anyway. Hours of stop-and-go traffic, into and out of a major metropolis every day, sounds like hell on earth to me, and I pity anyone who has to do it.

We rode bikes from downtown as far north on the Swamp Rabbit as Furman University, hung out there for awhile, then came back, stopping for lunch at the Swamp Rabbit cafe. My girlfriend and I are relatively fit, but we kept getting left in the dust by old men (I'm talking 70's) wearing spandex outfits covered with sponsor logos. I later read that Greenville is a popular retirement destination for professional cyclists because its one of the best areas in America for cycling. I guess that explains it, but it was so funny at the time. I kept thinking, "wow, old people in Greenville are in amazing shape!" lol

I had to see the mountains, so I headed up to Caesar's Head State Park. That was some fun driving in the miata, all those curvy, hilly roads and switchbacks up the mountain, exactly what I was hoping for. The views from up there were epic. Looking out from Bald Rock, it feels like the world is laid out before you, breathtakingly beautiful. And of course, Caesar's Head was super impressive as I suspected it would be.

My only gripe: on 276 between Greenville and the mountains, we passed through some pretty depressing looking areas. I'm talking falling apart trailer homes, and the stereotypical collection of broken down vehicles and piles of junk that characterizes poverty in the rural areas of the nation. Except in my area, you would need to drive far, far off the beaten path, into the boonies to encounter something like that. So that was disappointing to see along a major route.

Back to the positive, we went to Victoria Valley Vineyards, another fun drive, and totally loved it. The setting of the place, nestled between the mountains, couldn't be more picturesque. The wine was as good or better than anything I've had from the 30+ vineyards around CT. I'll be a regular when I move down...

...which we are planning to do when my girlfriend graduates nursing school in 2017! We drove all around the suburban areas around Greenville and scoped out apartment complexes. We have a preference for townhouse style apartments (private entrances, no one above you stomping their feet, very important) and found some nice ones that we'll consider.

Also I should mention, although every meal I ate in Greenville was delicious, the very best food I had was actually not in downtown. It was at Bacon Bros Public House. That place is so good -- I could probably eat there every day.

Anyway, I hope that was a satisfying review of Greenville for resident and would-be resident readers. I'm interested to hear any agreement or disagreement with my observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 05:17 PM

158 posts, read 180,698 times
Thank you VERY much for this honest assessment on your recent visit. My wife and I have chosen the Greenville area to relocate in late 2017 or early 2018.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:18 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Glad you enjoyed your stay here!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Somehow natives would immediately and correctly peg me as non-native, I'm guessing due to lack of accent. .
First, thanks, I appreciated your post.

BUT, I quoted above because you were pegged as a non-native due to YOUR accent !!!
See how that works.

I've been out of my home town of NYC for over 25 years, but you'll hear where I'm from as soon as I open my mouth. C'mon down!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:20 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Loved your post! You are correct about some of the ugly roads, but there is so much here that outweighs that aspect!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:55 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Awesome post. We love when people come back and tell us about how they liked the area, good or bad. It seems like you had a positive experience. Only 2 years and you can move here. For now, come visit whenever you can

Old 03-28-2015, 04:14 PM

143 posts, read 218,110 times
As a born and bred Greenvillian I thank you for your positive post. The only think I disagree with is Bacon Brothers. We ate there one time and thought it was the worst food in Greenville. That's what makes the world go around. I was stationed in New London, Conn for a while. I know what Winter is about.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:22 PM

8 posts, read 16,892 times
We moved here 3 yrs ago this July from Windham CT. It was the best thing we did!

Old 03-28-2015, 04:35 PM

158 posts, read 180,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormmac View Post
We moved here 3 yrs ago this July from Windham CT. It was the best thing we did!
I have a friend in the area right now looking at homes. He is relocating from low country. Can't wait to hear how it went!

Old 03-28-2015, 04:52 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Also I should mention, although every meal I ate in Greenville was delicious, the very best food I had was actually not in downtown. It was at Bacon Bros Public House. That place is so good -- I could probably eat there every day.
Bacon Bros is right up there in or top 5 favorites in the area (along with American Grocery and the Peddler). Based on how full it is every time we've been there for lunch or dinner, I'd say a lot of folks agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area