Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times

Advertisements

Michelin has its North American Headquarters in Greenville along with a significant engineering and research presence out at Donaldson Center. They employ hundreds of college educated professionals.

GE has a large manufacturing presence but they also employ many engineers and professionals to support that manufacturing.

The manufacturing for BMW, ZF, and the other auto related industries all employ engineers and college educated professionals.

O'Neill, Fluor, and CH2MHill are just a few of the engineering firms that employ people in the area.

If you have an engineering degree, particularly with relevant experience, it isn't hard to land a good paying job in this area.

If you have a 2 year degree in something like CNC programming, you can land a good paying job in what some turn their nose up at as manufacturing.

Even unskilled labor with little more than a high school diploma can land a manufacturing job and eventually work their way up into management. At a certain point you'll need that degree to advance further, but many manufacturing employers will even help pay for your degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 09:05 AM

55 posts, read 89,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman43O View Post
There are a lot of good points here. First, Greenville is still largely a manufacturing town with a growing government sector, one of the fastest growing employment sectors.

Second, the list if companies which are attractive to younger folks is limited.

Third, this is still an insular town. The locals wi pretend to embrace diversity but will quickly retreat to Simpsonville or Chanticleer to get away from undesirables.

Fourth, the town is not growing that fast.

Fifth, why can't we fill the large blocks of vacant office space?
Dude, did you just create two false profiles (one impersonating the OP and the other a reincarnation of your permanently banned account)???

Lol!!! And here I thought all the good llama noms were only to be had on Babycenter! You are something else!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:29 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I don't usually post things like this, but there's always a first time.
GSP101 got banned permanently for trolling. he was warned many times to stop, didn't listen. He brought this on himself.
Now I consider GSP101 a closed topic, so please don't quote him, don't discuss his trolling etc. And if you spot a new member with a similar agenda, let me know.
Now back on topic folks, please.
Yac.

Thank you Yac

We do our best to help newcomers asking about Greenville, giving them the strengths and weakness of Greenville in a balanced way so that they can make up their minds. And we do listen to constructive criticism about Greenville

What this poster does is ruin every thread so that not only people who inquire about Greenville gets turned off but even people like me anf others who live and work in Greenville stop responding to threads about Greenville due to this non stop spewing of nonsense from someone who has an an agenda against our city.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 AM

503 posts, read 530,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
First, how many Fortune 500 companies are based in Greenville.....0. What are the largest employers....Greenville Health System, school district of Greenville, St Francis Healthcare, Michelin, GE and State Government. Government is one of the largest areas for job growth. Looking further down the list of largest employers, still in the top 10, you have the federal government, Bi-Lo, Greenville Tech and Sealed Air (which is moving to another city because of the deeper labor pool).
So there is no statistical data involved here regarding the number of job openings per capita (which determines how easy it is to find work). Your claim that there are few job opportunities is without merit.

It is not at all unusual for health care systems and government to be the among the largest employers in U.S. cities. One of the many reasons we are moving to Greenville is because my significant other will be graduating nursing school in two years, and all of the nursing jobs in Connecticut require at least 2 years experience. Meanwhile, Greenville has 190+ nursing jobs open last I checked the GHS website, and a large chunk of those require no prior experience. I don't know what you'd call that but it looks like opportunity to me.

I cannot believe you created another account after being banned, and then a third account impersonating gman430, in order to continue your anti-Greenville information campaign. I feel like you've crossed a line with this behavior, where previously you could have been a normal person with a grudge, and now some level of mental illness is confirmed. I hope you are able to find healthier pastimes and find peace somehow.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
GSP101 got banned permanently for trolling. he was warned many times to stop, didn't listen. He brought this on himself.
Now I consider GSP101 a closed topic, so please don't quote him, don't discuss his trolling etc. And if you spot a new member with a similar agenda, let me know.
Yac.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Yac.
Thank you. I had him blocked.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:17 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,656 times
So I actually posted this in another thread about Pettigru, it seems like there are several houses that have been flipped back to being residential, turned into duplexes etc (def. not marketed to 20 somethings im sure due to the fact none of them are moving here) but it seems like that neighborhood is growing a lot as well for residential and its a great location (little bias bc I live there) but love it so far and would love to see some more residential go in there!

Old 04-28-2015, 02:25 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
So I actually posted this in another thread about Pettigru, it seems like there are several houses that have been flipped back to being residential, turned into duplexes etc (def. not marketed to 20 somethings im sure due to the fact none of them are moving here) but it seems like that neighborhood is growing a lot as well for residential and its a great location (little bias bc I live there) but love it so far and would love to see some more residential go in there!
The problem with that area and residential is it has to compete with the value the properties have as commercial space. If that value exceeds the value of the buildings as residential properties, they will remain commercial. Maybe with all the commercial development in the downtown area, we will see businesses in older properties in that area move to the newer buildings and then re-open those properties to be redeveloped as residential spaces.

Of course, since all the commercial buildings in downtown are empty and no one wants to live there anyway, they will probably all just sit empty.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:35 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The problem with that area and residential is it has to compete with the value the properties have as commercial space. If that value exceeds the value of the buildings as residential properties, they will remain commercial. Maybe with all the commercial development in the downtown area, we will see businesses in older properties in that area move to the newer buildings and then re-open those properties to be redeveloped as residential spaces.

Of course, since all the commercial buildings in downtown are empty and no one wants to live there anyway, they will probably all just sit empty.
LOL right, I mean who the heck would want to work or live in Downtown Greenville? Definitely no one who just graduated college!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:58 PM

55 posts, read 89,566 times
Ale House is old news... So I'm assuming Pops moved away about 6 years ago. LOTS of growth has happened since then. I think Greenville is the BEST for 20-somethings with its gorgeous, sprawling downtown and employment and social networking opportunities. In contrast, it's not the best for your average family with school age kids because of a higher crime rate in the more affordable areas coupled with not so great schools. Still better than Columbia or Charlotte though!! What total dumps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area