U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:06 PM

105 posts, read 87,581 times

Advertisements

As a part of the younger crowd that keeps getting referenced, Charlotte is the most boring city I've ever been to. Greenville attracted me and my business first. Part of Charlotte's problem is it isn't even close to a major college. Greenville has Clemson and Furman.

I frequently compare Greenville, Spartanburg and Clemson to Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

Greenville is also excellent for entrepreneurs - Charlotte is good for...bankers maybe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 PM

5,564 posts, read 4,599,492 times
Yes Columbia is tops population wise with current annex, but all Greenville has to do is annex Taylors, Wade Hampton, and everything either around Simpsonville or on the West Side (Berea, Parker, City View, Dunedin, Judson, Welcome, Gantt, Sans Souci), and voila, 150,000+ people immediately. Annex residents around Furman, North Pleasantburg, Paris Mountain, Five Forks, Pelham, and Piedmont as well, and that's well over 200,000 easy.

And Greenville County leads all other SC counties by at least 80,000 people.

But at the end of the day, who cares? Both are great cities, and along with Charleston, are pushing South Carolina forward. Each city has something its good at and a specific purpose. This doesn't need to be a competition. As long as the state runs well-oiled then all is well, but if city A is clashing with city B, and it holds cities C-Z back, then theres a problem. That's currently not happening so get over yourself. Nobody gives a rats butt about Charlotte and why Charlotte is so supreme, you're in the wrong state. Stop breaking your ban. You show mad disrespect for everyone here, including moderators who have given you countless chances.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:45 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,666,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yes Columbia is tops population wise with current annex, but all Greenville has to do is annex Taylors, Wade Hampton, and everything either around Simpsonville or on the West Side (Berea, Parker, City View, Dunedin, Judson, Welcome, Gantt, Sans Souci), and voila, 150,000+ people immediately. Annex residents around Furman, North Pleasantburg, Paris Mountain, Five Forks, Pelham, and Piedmont as well, and that's well over 200,000 easy.

And Greenville County leads all other SC counties by at least 80,000 people.

But at the end of the day, who cares? Both are great cities, and along with Charleston, are pushing South Carolina forward. Each city has something its good at and a specific purpose. This doesn't need to be a competition. As long as the state runs well-oiled then all is well, but if city A is clashing with city B, and it holds cities C-Z back, then theres a problem. That's currently not happening so get over yourself. Nobody gives a rats butt about Charlotte and why Charlotte is so supreme, you're in the wrong state. Stop breaking your ban. You show mad disrespect for everyone here, including moderators who have given you countless chances.
And boom goes the dynamite!

Exactly what I was saying earlier and this brings up a great point I saw a movie director talk about in why South Carolina is the perfect state to shoot movies.

He said that within 3 hours, you can have any scene you would ever want, Mountains, beach, coastal, flat farmland, rolling hills, a small town, a city of numerous sizes and feels, and rivers and lakes of any type of topography.

Every corner of this state, every town, every area, every metro, etc. offers something and especially in terms of our big 3 metros, are completely different and thriving in their own ways. Each is growing rapidly and each is becoming well known across the country!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:40 PM

11,071 posts, read 22,016,350 times
Two new development unveilings today for downtown: New hotel, high-rise planned for downtown Greenville

Old 05-05-2015, 07:40 PM

4,919 posts, read 6,973,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Two new development unveilings today for downtown: New hotel, high-rise planned for downtown Greenville
This is a nice development. Not sure why they have to call it high rise when it's more mid rise though. Not necessary really.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:05 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,471,117 times
Quote:
Very nice! Don't beat me up, as I haven't been in the area for any length of time for a while, but what happened to the Embassy Suites that was supposed to go downtown?

Old 05-05-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
Very nice! Don't beat me up, as I haven't been in the area for any length of time for a while, but what happened to the Embassy Suites that was supposed to go downtown?
Under construction.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:20 PM

11,071 posts, read 22,016,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
This is a nice development. Not sure why they have to call it high rise when it's more mid rise though. Not necessary really.
What makes a building a high rise though? 10 stories? 15 stories? Is there even a true definition over what makes a building a high rise over a mid rise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
It's currently under construction: http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/1be5...AJ1FDH.1-0.jpg

Old 05-05-2015, 08:32 PM

155 posts, read 197,282 times
The AC hotel part is interesting. I found this article that says it's aimed at Millennials and made comparisons to Aloft. Said it is a mid-priced hotel. Reviews on their hotels in DC & New Orleans are good (average rating of 4 stars for both of those properties on Trip Advisor).

Marriott imports a new hotel brand for Millennials

I was rooting for a W hotel, but that may be too high priced. It just seems like all the new hotels opening are at the same price point.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
What makes a building a high rise though? 10 stories? 15 stories? Is there even a true definition over what makes a building a high rise over a mid rise?

It's currently under construction: http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/1be5...AJ1FDH.1-0.jpg
I think there is, if I remember correctly. Referring to height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area