Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:14 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This won't be a popular opinion, but when you have kids, you should be doing what is in their best interests, and your "wants" go out the window. When your kids are grown, you can do what you want. Stay where you are until your kids are out of high school. Moving them in the middle of their school years away from their friends is cruel.
I understand where you are going with this but on the other hand, as parents, we sometimes have to make the tough choices even though they may not be the popular one. These parents feel that a change is the best decision for their family. The mother suffers from SAD, which affects the family. A happy mom = a happy home!

As for the OP, if you do move, it is critical to find the right schools and sadly Simpsonville does not offer great high schools, although it is a nice town to live. I live in Simpsonville with three children, one in H.S., but thankfully we were able to get into Brashier Middle College Charter. Awesome school with great teachers and leadership. Entrance is based on a lottery (or grandfathered for siblings if you get one in).

There are a few threads here about schools, look those up. I understand that Wade Hampton, Riverside High and Greenville Senior High Academy are all ranked very good. You should look for homes that are assigned to those schools. Double check the assignment before you make an offer on a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:38 AM

80 posts, read 114,526 times
Just moved from IN to Greenville this past December. We have an 11th grade son that is in baseball, a quiet and shy 7th grade daughter and a typical 3rd grade daughter. We made the move to get away from the long, ugly winters in hopes of our kids settling down near us when they are older.

I am beyond happy with how well the move has gone. They definitely miss their friends, but have been able to keep in touch through FaceTime and messaging. We moved into a neighborhood with a lot of kids. We all agree that is was a good move. And we all love Greenville and are excited about all the new things to explore.

BTW, we are in Simpsonville and our kids go to Mauldin, Hillcrest and Rudolph Gordon. Happy with all the schools.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:32 PM

214 posts, read 301,066 times
Quote:
This won't be a popular opinion, but when you have kids, you should be doing what is in their best interests, and your "wants" go out the window. When your kids are grown, you can do what you want. Stay where you are until your kids are out of high school. Moving them in the middle of their school years away from their friends is cruel.
As someone who moved around a fair amount due to my father being transferred for his job (SC to TX to NC to SC), I absolutely disagree with you. I am EXTREMELY thankful that my father didn't turn down the transfers for his job - it gave me a chance to see and experience things I absolutely would not have otherwise done. Yes, it hurt a bit to leave behind friends, but some I kept in touch with (which is made even easier now with social media - you don't need a stamp and the slow postal service to back and forth letters) and, despite being shy and not outgoing, made new friends soon enough.

The OP has a VERY valid reason for wanting to move - I can guarantee you their children would prefer to have a happy parent vs a parent suffering from depression, even if it meant making new friends.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:01 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
As someone who moved around a fair amount due to my father being transferred for his job (SC to TX to NC to SC), I absolutely disagree with you. I am EXTREMELY thankful that my father didn't turn down the transfers for his job - it gave me a chance to see and experience things I absolutely would not have otherwise done. Yes, it hurt a bit to leave behind friends, but some I kept in touch with (which is made even easier now with social media - you don't need a stamp and the slow postal service to back and forth letters) and, despite being shy and not outgoing, made new friends soon enough.

The OP has a VERY valid reason for wanting to move - I can guarantee you their children would prefer to have a happy parent vs a parent suffering from depression, even if it meant making new friends.
Well said!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:35 PM

141 posts, read 240,693 times
A significant reason that my husband and I decided to make our move down here in 2013, was that we both suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder during the long, awful Minnesota winters. It was BAD. For us, a milder climate has been hugely important.

All that to say, I think the mental health and stability of a parent is an extremely valid reason to consider a big move.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:59 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthByMidwest View Post
A significant reason that my husband and I decided to make our move down here in 2013, was that we both suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder during the long, awful Minnesota winters. It was BAD. For us, a milder climate has been hugely important.

All that to say, I think the mental health and stability of a parent is an extremely valid reason to consider a big move.
I suffer from it as well and it sure does make a big difference living here. I was talking to a psychology student from Philly and she told there are so many depressed people up north. People may say it's crazy but when the sun doesn't shine for months at a time, it seriously affects how you feel.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:32 PM

40 posts, read 164,179 times
Default I couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I suffer from it as well and it sure does make a big difference living here. I was talking to a psychology student from Philly and she told there are so many depressed people up north. People may say it's crazy but when the sun doesn't shine for months at a time, it seriously affects how you feel.
For people like us who have a hard time dealing with months of gray, this alone is reason enough to move:

Click image for larger version

Name:	notenoughsun.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	149248

Old 05-03-2015, 07:16 PM

80 posts, read 114,526 times
As a recent transplant, I feel so spoiled every day by all the sun. Just can't believe how different it feels.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:08 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissinger645 View Post
As a recent transplant, I feel so spoiled every day by all the sun. Just can't believe how different it feels.
Yes! me as well! One of the reasons I could not stand to stay in my former house in Raleigh was that the kitchen and living area faced north, where there was a small patch of forest, and the house was constrcuted so that there was no light from the other side. I was depressed every day! Love Greenville's sunshine; even when I'm working inside I can enjoy it streaming through my window .

Old 05-05-2015, 10:48 AM

53 posts, read 62,425 times
Quote:
It is in the kids best interests to move. They will appreciate the decision in the long run. And their kids will as well. DO IT NOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area