Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:18 AM

30 posts, read 39,194 times

Advertisements

Anybody know what the progress, if any, is on the WLOS repeater on Paris Mountain?

Or any other way of receiving OTA ABC in Greenville?

Last update I saw was half a year ago and I think the status was that it was slowly going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 04:21 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwrench View Post
Anybody know what the progress, if any, is on the WLOS repeater on Paris Mountain?

Last update I saw was half a year ago and I think the status was that it was slowly going up.
That WLOS translator project seems to be on hold right now. And if their construction permit has expired, there may be a freeze on such new projects by the FCC. However, in certain areas of Spartanburg you can receive WSOC 9.1 or 9.5 from Charlotte. But unfortunately that ABC affiliate does not quite make it into Greenville except sometimes at night. Which is ironic, because you get a strong signal from the Charlotte CBS, NBC, and FOX affiliates, as well as the local WYFF, WSPA, and WHNS channels. So 2 choices for these networks, but both ABC options are weak ... However, WLOS Channel 13 from Asheville CAN be received with some strategic work, although it may require a separate VHF antenna, an amp, and a filter. Because strong signals from WSPA, WYFF, and FM radio can overload an amp or cause dropouts on 13 which is a weaker VHF signal. I use basic rabbit ears in the attic, an attenuator, and an amp and I receive 13 and 7 reliably, as well as a UHF antenna for the other GSP channels and Charlotte. Most indoor antennas are poor performers and will have difficulty receiving 13. Although you may consider a Terk HDTVa Log Antenna sold at HHG. But a better, less expensive option worth trying would be the Winegard Freevision antenna sold at Home Depot for $34. It can be used inside, outside, or in the attic. Not to be confused with the Winegard Flatwave thin panel antenna also sold there. Avoid that one. And you may need to add the Winegard LNA200 preamplifier also sold at Home Depot. Other more expensive choices are the Clearstream 2V and 4V antennas sold at Walmart and Best Buy. But I would try the Freevision first as it is more affordable and likely to perform just as well. Now if you want a big style outside antenna, some Radioshack stores may have clearance prices on certain models, as they are apparently discontinuing TV antennas as a result of the bankruptcy and the rebranding with Sprint. And they have closed down their Antennacraft manufacturing facility.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:16 PM

30 posts, read 39,194 times
Thanks tylerSC,

Some questions about setup - I've got a Winegard HD4400 UHF antenna now mounted outside with an amp. It gets all the channels I want except for ABC - WLOS.

So it sounds like maybe a VHF antenna with a filter (bandpass for VHF? any recommendations?) and a signal booster amp might work, right?

After amps, combine both signals onto a single coax and into the TV, or do you think an antenna switch is necessary? (I'd rather not have the task of figuring out how to switch the signal in coordination with the TV channel selection).

Old 05-17-2015, 04:04 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,269 times
I wish they'd do something. I was getting pretty reliable reception- until the trees leafed out. No more 'Jeopardy' until autumn, I guess.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I know WLOS simulcasts WMYA on 13.2. I wonder if WMYA could simulcast WLOS on 40.4.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:35 AM

53 posts, read 67,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I know WLOS simulcasts WMYA on 13.2. I wonder if WMYA could simulcast WLOS on 40.4.
I second that. It's as aggravating on this side of the mountains to get WLOS as it is for the other side of the mountains to get WMYA. Even with a roof mounted antenna, we still get intermittent reception issues this time of year.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks tylerSC,

Some questions about setup - I've got a Winegard HD4400 UHF antenna now mounted outside with an amp. It gets all the channels I want except for ABC - WLOS.

So it sounds like maybe a VHF antenna with a filter (bandpass for VHF? any recommendations?) and a signal booster amp might work, right?

After amps, combine both signals onto a single coax and into the TV, or do you think an antenna switch is necessary? (I'd rather not have the task of figuring out how to switch the signal in coordination with the TV channel selection).
You need to add a VHF antenna and combine with the UHF 4400 antenna, using a UHF/VHF signal joiner sold at Radioshack. It looks like a regular splitter but it isolates the VHF from the UHF with separate inputs. Then connect the output of the UVSJ into the input of an amplifier. You could try the Winegard LNA200 preamp sold at Home Depot. I also use an FM trap from Radioshack in the line before the preamp to prevent interference, which is most problematic with 13.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The could do that if they utilize top tier encoders to multicast all of their subchannels. It has to be done properly to avoid a decline in picture quality on the HD channels. As you would have 2 HD channels in the mix for WLOS and WMYA, and 2 standard definition subchannels. Currently they only simulcast a standard def version of WMYA on 13.2, and they should upgrade that simulcast to HD. It is being done in other markets with dual HD channels on the same frequency, but it requires excellent multiplexing by the broadcaster. They could do this mix for both 13 and 40 channels with the dual feed and better serve both the Upstate and the mountains on both frequencies.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:21 AM

Been getting WSOC Channel 9 from Charlotte real strong this week after 7pm with UHF yagi antenna in attic.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:

At long last, the WLOS translator on Paris Mountain now appears to be operational, broadcasting on RF31. However, the signal may not yet be fully functional, as it appears to be very low power.

Rescan your TV or manually input 31 to receive the translator channel, which will also appear as 13.1, 13.2, and 13.3 . A good UHF antenna may be required, and it may perhaps need to be pointed towards Paris Mountain rather than Caesar's Head or Hogback Mountain.

An amplifier may be a problem, as stronger local signals may overpower the WLOS translator. So perhaps careful use of filters or attenuators may be required. Thereby remains the same problem with the main 13 signal from Asheville.

Hopefully they will increase power or make adjustments so the WLOS translator is easily receivable in Upstate SC. But at least they appear to finally be making steps in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area