Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 10:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,240 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all! My husband is considering a job relocation to Greenwood, SC. Right now we live in Lake Norman area of NC. I am a stay at home mom with a four year old and 1 year old. Right now, our community is packed with families like ours. We are so lucky and I am scared to death of moving to a neighborhood that does not have some young families. (When you are home all day, you need friends with kids or you can go crazy.)

We'd like to be on Lake Greenwood. Does anyone have any suggestions on communities that might fit our needs or can offer insight as to where I should be looking? I have no clue where to begin.

Are there many family/kid friendly activities offered by the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 11:09 PM

21,006 posts, read 27,047,925 times
First, what are you looking for in a community?

Second, what family and kid activities are you interested or active in? For activities, I would definitely look at Visit Greenwood, South Carolina. If you like the outdoors, you may want to look at Lake Greenwood State Park (302 State Park Road, Ninety Six, South Carolina 29666-8749).

For additional thread related to Greenwood, check out the "South Carolina" forum.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:20 PM

Thank you so much. Right now, we are in a cookie cutter style development with a community pool. We are ready to move beyond that 'cookie cutter home' but I love the close neighbors, being able to go to the pool with our neighborhood friends, and running down the street to have a daytime play date. I suppose I am mostly curious if there are any communities that foster this type of atmosphere?

Old 06-06-2015, 11:35 PM

21,006 posts, read 27,047,925 times
The only community pools in Greenwood I know of are Hunter's Creek and Grand Harbor. Both of these are golf communities.

If you are looking for swimming activities, you may want to look at Greenwood Family YMCA (1760 Calhoun Road, Greenwood, SC 29649-8909).

Old 06-08-2015, 09:15 AM

696 posts, read 1,330,142 times
Puckett's Ferry, Grand Harbor, Harbourside, Stoney Point, Summerset Bay, and Watersedge are some of the more established and larger communities. There are a number of non-subdivision type communities such as the Irvine's Circle area (where I personally live) that are well established with families. Pier 96 is a townhome community on a nice part of the lake, but I believe it is more retiree oriented.

If schools are going to be a factor, I would look at the communities that are in the Ninety Six school district. It's the best in the area, IMO. That said, Ninety Six is a small, sleepy town and there's not much besides the lake and the state park for activities.

Greenwood itself is about a 15-20 minute drive from the lake if you are on the Greenwood county side. Driving from the Laurens or Newberry side is prohibitive with a few exceptions, such as the Crystal Bay community because of it's easy access to highway 72.

I like where I live now, but if I had to pick anolther community, I would probably go with Grand Harbor or Stoney Point with a tilt towards Grand Harbor because I like Ninety Six schools better.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:09 PM

Thank y'all so much for the feedback. Eric, that is very insightful and I appreciate it. We don't 'go out' much, but we have a very active social life thanks to our neighborhood being full of friends with young children. Supper clubs and cocktail hours on the porch have replaced going out-I am hopeful that we can find an area that suits our lifestyle in the Greenwood area. I'm ok with a sleepy town

Old 06-11-2015, 07:18 PM

696 posts, read 1,330,142 times
Here is another tidbit that may help when you are considering lake communities. Lake Greenwood is primarily fed by two rivers and the water level is controlled by the Buzzard's Roost dam. During the late fall, winter, and early spring months, the water level is lowered for maintenance on the dam -- and presumably to allow dock owners to perform work on their docks.

During those times there may be lots which are low on water, or even devoid of it. Deep water lots are more highly sought after and more expensive. A good local realtor will have knowledge of this and be able to direct you accordingly.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:17 AM

Oh wow!! That is great to know!! Thank you!

Old 06-14-2015, 08:19 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,863,272 times
Joan Timmerman was our realtor in Greenwood and she is very honest and straight forward. You may want to give her a call to just discuss your options. I've known quite a few families like you describe who were actually unhappy with living on the lake because of the "drive in" to Greenwood for their children's activities. Hunter's Creek, while not on the lake, is a very popular neighborhood for families like yours. Good luck with your search.... I have family in the Charlotte/Lake Norman area and that is a terrific area.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:56 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,863,272 times
Listing Detail

Creekside is another terrific and very well situated neighborhood in the Greenwood area. Low or no HOA fees --which is a key consideration for selling/reselling homes in this area. This is an immaculate home for sale by owner....for what it's worth. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area