Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 AM

131 posts, read 214,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterBritches View Post
Given that the roads bill just raises the fuel tax without actually allocating any of it to repair the roads, don't expect anything to change. They will find a way to misappropriate whatever revenue they bring in. Ask Senator Leatherman how!

This is the issue for me. I have no problem with raising the gas tax since it should have been done incrementally since 1987. Imagine if they raised it every five years to keep up with inflation. Would anyone complain?

I have a problem with the money being misappropriated. First we need to fix the roads we have. Then we need to add more roads, widen, and improve interchanges as needed.

I have lived in the Upstate for 20 years and have had two flat tires due to nails/screws. I would love to know where greenvillebuckeye is driving to have such an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 07:21 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
The defeatist attitude of "it will all be wasted anyway" would be more productive if you pointed out what waste you wanted cut.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:40 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
The defeatist attitude of "it will all be wasted anyway" would be more productive if you pointed out what waste you wanted cut.
Most taxpayers were asking for some transparency of where the money is going before submitting to a tax hike. What we do know is that the State House still wastes a lot of taxpayer money. Look at the billions spent on our last in the nation school system, the bailouts of higher education such as SC State, I-526, etc...)

Old 06-18-2015, 07:42 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Whoopee! Now our roads can suck for years to come!

I agree that the state DOT needs to be cleaned out and the structure realigned to improve efficiency. I agree that nonsensical, unwanted road projects like the roundabout on Hwy 101 are a needless waste of money.

At the same time, I don't think it is realistic to try to maintain the state road system with the same gas tax that we had in the mid 1980s. The price of repaving roads has increased substantially since 1980. We need additional revenue.

Our family has had 3 tires flattened by road debris and/or potholes this year. One of them was repairable. The other two required new tires. At some point, the cost of an increased gas tax would be less than the cost of repairing damage to your car......

Old 06-18-2015, 08:42 AM

292 posts, read 344,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Whoopee! Now our roads can suck for years to come!

I agree that the state DOT needs to be cleaned out and the structure realigned to improve efficiency. I agree that nonsensical, unwanted road projects like the roundabout on Hwy 101 are a needless waste of money.

At the same time, I don't think it is realistic to try to maintain the state road system with the same gas tax that we had in the mid 1980s. The price of repaving roads has increased substantially since 1980. We need additional revenue.

Our family has had 3 tires flattened by road debris and/or potholes this year. One of them was repairable. The other two required new tires. At some point, the cost of an increased gas tax would be less than the cost of repairing damage to your car......
#1) Why are people ignoring the $400M budget surplus we just had? How about forcing Columbia to use that money for our road first before jacking up our taxes?

#2) Fixing our roads is not going to clean debris like nails off of the road, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything here.

#3) Have you driven on the roads in NC and GA? They are no better than our roads and they have higher gas taxes, so just because our taxes go up to does mean our roads will improve.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:42 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
#1) Why are people ignoring the $400M budget surplus we just had? How about forcing Columbia to use that money for our road first before jacking up our taxes?

#2) Fixing our roads is not going to clean debris like nails off of the road, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything here.

#3) Have you driven on the roads in NC and GA? They are no better than our roads and they have higher gas taxes, so just because our taxes go up to does mean our roads will improve.
#1 - The budget surplus is a one time event. While using those funds would help this year, it would still leave the roads underfunded in subsequent years.

#2 - I said debris and potholes. Significant damage occurs from potholes and they create places for debris to settle and collect. Roads that are adequately maintained collect less debris.

#3 - I have drive through Georgia several times per year for work. While I will agree that their roads are not adequate to keep up with Atlanta's growth, the level of maintenance on the roads they do have is much better than here in SC. I used to live in NC and they have a better system of roads that is much better maintained.

If we keep the current level of inadequate funding, our roads will continue to deteriorate. Major companies have already publicly stated that the poor condition of our roads is making them reconsider investment in our state. We are at a funding level where the average road is repaved every 73 years. That is insane!

Old 06-18-2015, 01:05 PM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
If we keep the current level of inadequate funding, our roads will continue to deteriorate. Major companies have already publicly stated that the poor condition of our roads is making them reconsider investment in our state. We are at a funding level where the average road is repaved every 73 years. That is insane!
You mean "a major company" - Michelin. Last I looked they are still here and investing in SC.

Volvo didn't have a problem with our roads.

With that said, our roads do need work, just as our entire US infrastructure does.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Most taxpayers were asking for some transparency of where the money is going before submitting to a tax hike. What we do know is that the State House still wastes a lot of taxpayer money. Look at the billions spent on our last in the nation school system, the bailouts of higher education such as SC State, I-526, etc...)
Just to check this - South Carolina is not last in education - we're 33rd out of 50, according to US News ranking on high school systems by state: How States Compare in the 2015 Best High Schools Rankings - US News

And our spending on schools per capita is 31st out of 50: Education Spending Per Student by State

So it looks like we're getting close to what we pay for in the education department. I don't see any evidence of outrageous waste here.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
Cleaning roads is one of the tasks of the SCDOT, which gets most of its funding through fuel taxes.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:57 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Gas should be $10 a gallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area