Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 09:22 PM

104 posts, read 234,493 times

Advertisements

The Regions bank at Five Forks.... Around the corner from us...was robbed a couple days ago. There was a helicopter and police dogs etc but they didn't find him. In the news today, it was reported that some of the stolen money was used at a Spinx on south Pleasantburg. I'm just curious. How would the cashier at Spinx know that? Those bills just get put in the drawer. And how would they be marked anyway from the bank since they were probably just taken out of the tellers drawer, right? Unless there was that dye thing and the bills had dye on them. Btw. There's a picture of the Spinx guy on the website for 106.3 Word radio. Police need to talk to anyone who can recognize him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 11:26 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
If not dye packs.. Then serial numbers most likely.

While money is flowing in and out of the teller's drawer.. When it started, they likely had a nice, new stack of some denomination bills, which are pretty much all recorded.. When the money was deposited by Spinx, the serials matched.

Or.. yes.. A dye pack.

Many years ago, there was a Carolina First or similar on Antrim Dr that was robbed. I worked on Greenacre, and the guy came running through our parking lot, tossing money along the way as dye packs were exploding. We had a stain in the parking lot for 3 years from that dye.

For the serial number standpoint.. It's amazing how much those serials are tracked. There are sites out there where you can search every serial number of the money that DB Cooper took.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:42 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,866,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjean View Post
The Regions bank at Five Forks.... Around the corner from us...was robbed a couple days ago. There was a helicopter and police dogs etc but they didn't find him. In the news today, it was reported that some of the stolen money was used at a Spinx on south Pleasantburg. I'm just curious. How would the cashier at Spinx know that? Those bills just get put in the drawer. And how would they be marked anyway from the bank since they were probably just taken out of the tellers drawer, right? Unless there was that dye thing and the bills had dye on them. Btw. There's a picture of the Spinx guy on the website for 106.3 Word radio. Police need to talk to anyone who can recognize him.
Planning on robbing a bank??

Old 10-16-2015, 07:59 AM

104 posts, read 234,493 times
John nooo ! Haha. Just curious. My husband and I were both just wondering about how the spinx cashier would know. Inquiring minds. I've been following the story since it caused quite a hullabaloo in our neighborhood. Unless he's really dumb I wouldn't think he'd use the money locally if there was dye on it. I'm wondering if the guy pictured at spinx was an unsuspecting guy that the robber passed the money to. Guess I watch too many crime solving TV programs. Ps. Thanks labonte for the insight. Really interesting.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjean View Post
While it's unlikely all the money that was stolen had the serial numbers recorded, if the bank was smart, some of the bills had their serial numbers recorded. Banks keep a set of bills with recorded serial numbers in every drawer specifically for the purpose of tracking robbers.

As to how they knew to look for those marked bills at Spinx, I figure two possibilities. Either they had some other way of knowing the thieves were at Spinx (perhaps the Spinx cashier knew the face of the robber, or the description of their car) or Spinx made a depost at their bank, and their bank has a machine that automatically searches deposits for marked serial numbers.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:51 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
For the serial number standpoint.. It's amazing how much those serials are tracked. There are sites out there where you can search every serial number of the money that DB Cooper took.
In the case of DB Cooper, they knew they were paying a ransom with the cash and surely wrote down every single serial number of every bill they gave him. Not all bills were tracked that closely in the 70s. I'm not sure about nowadays.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:02 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
In the case of DB Cooper, they knew they were paying a ransom with the cash and surely wrote down every single serial number of every bill they gave him. Not all bills were tracked that closely in the 70s. I'm not sure about nowadays.
They actually photographed each bill. Didn't have time to write them all down. I don't think they photographed each individual bill, but 20-100 of them at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area