Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:50 PM

6 posts, read 32,243 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I've been reading the forums quite a bit and searched for an answer to my question but still not really sure where to look. My husband and I are relocating to the Greenville area from the NC coast and looking for a more rural area but still within a 20-30 min commute to downtown Greenville. Easley sounded nice so considering there but wanted a few more places to check out too preferably closer to the mountains. We have no children so schools are not an issue. We are 35 and 40 respectively. Just looking for more country and less suburbs. Interested in peoples opinions about Travelers Rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:54 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
Staying within Greenville County, Tigerville and Blue Ridge in the north and Moonville, Ware Shoals and Fork Shoals in the south are popular.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:40 AM

599 posts, read 572,084 times
We're in Tigerville, near North Greenville University. My wife works downtown, and it takes her right at 1/2 hour to commute, although she travels earlier than rush hour. Well worth it, IMHO, for the rewards of living in a quiet area with a lot of natural beauty. TR is a great little town that is growing nicely. It takes about 10 minutes to get to TR, and most of our day-to-day needs are met there. Driving out from Greenville, the longest part of the trip is out to TR. Once you're north of TR, it's wide open, and another 5-10 minutes drive is no big deal.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:16 AM

90 posts, read 102,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
We're in Tigerville, near North Greenville University. My wife works downtown, and it takes her right at 1/2 hour to commute, although she travels earlier than rush hour. Well worth it, IMHO, for the rewards of living in a quiet area with a lot of natural beauty. TR is a great little town that is growing nicely. It takes about 10 minutes to get to TR, and most of our day-to-day needs are met there. Driving out from Greenville, the longest part of the trip is out to TR. Once you're north of TR, it's wide open, and another 5-10 minutes drive is no big deal.
MushCreek

Do you know anything about the Cherokee Valley golf community? When I peruse listings, I notice quite a few building lots for sale there. Yet, it seems CV has been in existence for quite a while. Is there a reason, that you know of, that CZ has not built out more quickly?

On another note, how long is the drive to Asheville NC from Tigerville? Thanks

Old 01-21-2016, 09:24 AM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
Cherokee Valley was originally The Gauntlet.

Asheville is about a 50-minute drive from Tigerville.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:49 AM

Thank you so much everyone for the info! I will check those areas out! :-)

Old 01-21-2016, 12:27 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,304,661 times
I would probably prefer Easley / Powdersville because it has more stuff than Travelers Rest but is also rural. I believe it is as close to the mountains in SC, and it closer to 3 nice lakes.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:01 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,255,264 times
Travelers Rest sounds like the best fit to me. I'd make sure the commute between TR and wherever you work in Greenville is okay for you; some people don't like all the red lights along that route.

The Easley / Powdersville area isn't really all that rural anymore and continues to grow at a fast pace. West of that area in the area zoned for Wren High School is still somewhat rural.

The Dacusville area (kind of between Easley and TR) might be another consideration as would the Blue Ridge area (vaguely Eat of TR and NW of Greer).

Old 01-21-2016, 03:17 PM

As far as safety, is TR pretty good? I'm coming from a town that's gone from bad to worse and although I expect crime, I'm kind of sick of drugs being very common as well as hold ups and car jackings.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:12 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,304,661 times
I think of the Wren school area as part of Powdersville. I don't know what else you would call it. Those were the only schools out there until recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area