Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 01:13 PM

60 posts, read 68,885 times

Advertisements

I made a thread on the Port St. Lucie, FL subforum talking about how we got priced out recently with the onset of the snowbird season. Rental prices went up too much. We moved out in August (off season) and got a great deal. Now, prices have gone up across the board, and we are really considering moving to Greenville as we've heard good things. Yet, the Floridians bring up some good points to consider:

Here is what someone said on a Port Saint Lucie thread where I started saying that I got priced out of Florida:
Quote:
You realize as well that in SC, state taxes will now be taken out of your check. I'm guessing it could be close to $300 a month. So the cheaper rent probably isn't really cheaper.

I've seen a lot of your recent posts and it seems you are just not happy here. So, IMO, you aren't going to be happy anywhere until you are just plan HAPPY in your life. I saw something on Facebook the other day: "Happiness starts with you. Not with your relationships, not with your job, not with your friends..." Happiness isn't determined by where you are, where you work, or anything like that. It is determined by you deciding to be happy and taking action to make yourself happy.

My husband and I just moved to PSL in September. We love it here but we understand what it's like to be in a place you just don't like. That was one of the reasons we moved. We hated where we were.

IMO a 2/2 anywhere in the area (unless you are looking in the bad areas) is going to be at least $1000 a month. If you can make it in a 1/1 you might have a better chance, but yes, the snowbirds arrived early and the rents went up a bit.

Have you looked at Belle Vista? There's also a new apartment complex in Tradition, their 2 and 3 bedroom units were within our budget (around $1200), so you might want to see what they are getting for their 1br units.
What is the cost of living in the suburbs of Greenville, SC? State taxes are really ~10% in South Carolina? I know gasoline in Greenville is about 30 cents less than Port Saint Lucie. Food I would assume is about the same price. Utilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 01:34 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Having moved from Miami about 5 years ago after having lived there my entire life I can tell you there is NO place like Greenville, SC area. I couldn't stand living in Miami and dreamed about moving to the mountains since I was a teen. From personal experience, it's a lot cheaper to live here, less stress, less rudeness, shall I go on. PSL is a lot different than SOFLA, but why stay somewhere you don't like if you don't have to?

I find food can be a little higher in the Upstate, but there are no taxes on food here, and if you're a smart shopper, you will probably find it about even with your area. Homeowner insurance, and car insurance are definitely cheaper here than SoFla. I found housing cheaper here as well.

One of the wonderful things you have here are the change in seasons, that alone is priceless! Having one of the nicest downtowns is icing on the cake.

Best advice, do your homework, and visit, more than once, to get to know the area before you make any move.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:29 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
We spent 20 years in FL as well (Tampa Bay), and would never dream of going back (we've been here for 4.5 years).

We've found housing / rent cheaper here as well (especially mandatory flood / wind / hurricane insurance), and FL is in the top 10 most expensive states for auto insurance, so you should see a nice drop there as well. Yes you'll pay state income tax here, and property tax on your car(s), but tags are $12 a year instead of nearly $100 and many other taxes are lower (gas in particular).

Most other things should be about the same IMO, and you don't have to put up with the humidity or snowbirds.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:25 AM

348 posts, read 497,143 times
Default Love It Here!!

Been here for almost 7 years. Live in the Mauldin area and find the housing reasonable, taxes low and the amenities top rated. The weather is just fine as said, with the seasons and very few harsh weather days. We looked in Florida and decided against it for some of the same reasons listed before. The roads are just horrible ( Congestion ) during the "High" season and try a restaurant in the evening? Good Luck! There are so many things to do to keep you occupied and up from the couch. "Try It, You Gonna Like It!"

Old 11-08-2015, 10:10 AM

60 posts, read 68,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
Been here for almost 7 years. Live in the Mauldin area and find the housing reasonable, taxes low and the amenities top rated. The weather is just fine as said, with the seasons and very few harsh weather days. We looked in Florida and decided against it for some of the same reasons listed before. The roads are just horrible ( Congestion ) during the "High" season and try a restaurant in the evening? Good Luck! There are so many things to do to keep you occupied and up from the couch. "Try It, You Gonna Like It!"
I've got a job interview on Tuesday morning in Mauldin. I'll be checking out some apartments near there. I see that there are a lot of 1/1 apartment complexes in the $550-$650 range.

It's true though that wages are lower in South Carolina since they go by the federal minimum wage. I was thinking about delivering pizzas part-time, but wouldn't that mean I'd only be paid $2.13/hr, since I'd be receiving tips as well? Do restaurants in the area actually pay that little to their waitresses? Or do they try to stay competitive and at least offer a decent base hourly wage?

Old 11-08-2015, 10:26 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,605 times
I spent about a decade in New Smyrna Beach and I miss it. I'd love to get back there one day. The prices always seemed reasonable to me, and I lived both beachside and mainland. That said, I was always a renter, so I never had to pay homeowners insurance or anything in FL.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:48 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
New Smyrna is changing a little bit. Crime getting higher, costs going up. Its still decent but its not as great anymore.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:12 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
My response: Clemson. Boom.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:14 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
As you know, we came from FL 2 1/2 years ago. I like both places so I can give you a fair prospective. Of course, in Greenville, you are closer to hiking and mountains. You can be out longer because it doesn't get that hot here as FL. You will get state taxes taken out of your check but with your income, you'll probably get most of it back. If you own a newer vehicle, taxes can be pricey but if not, it's not bad at all. I have a 2005 CRV and my taxes this year were about $80. I have a 99 Dodge Ram truck and it was $40. As someone else mentioned, the registration is dirt cheap and you only pay every 2 years. It's a wash after FL raised their registration fees a few years ago. My car insurance in FL was double.

Food is a little more expensive here but nothing extraordinary. Gas is way cheaper but you tend to drive more here. Rent in FL was considerably more for sure. As you can see, you can get an apartment here for $500-$600. In FL, it was more like $800-$900.

As for jobs, I think the pay is pretty comparable for entry level positions. The warehouses here pay pretty well, some $16/hr.

I do miss New Smyrna and Flagler Ave as well but that doesn't mean that I don't like it here. We have cheap flights right out of Greenville to Sanford or we can be there in 7 1/2 hours which is nice. (Although, I don't get to go back often) I know the OP doesn't care about the beach so New Smyrna probably won't mean anything to him.

You get four seasons here which is nice. It can get cold in the winter with a little snow but it's short lived. January and February are when I wish I were back in FL I like the warm weather and beaches in FL but it can get old being the extreme heat can last several months. Another thing here is the allergies are pretty bad. I never had allergies in my life until moving here.

It's a different type of living here than FL. Both places have a decent amount of things to do IMHO. I like both though.

Come check it out and let us know what you think. Good luck at your interview and make sure that you go to downtown Greenville for lunch or dinner. Take a walk around downtown and go by Falls Park

Old 11-08-2015, 03:17 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
my response: Clemson. Boom.

lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area