U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 06:03 PM

10,005 posts, read 19,834,919 times

Advertisements

**crickets**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:39 AM

5,423 posts, read 6,155,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Totally agree with your city park example other than the fact that these bike lanes unlike Falls Park or the SRT are coming from the transportation funds that takes away from funding for basic infrastructure that everyone utilizes to benefit the smaller percentage of the population that bikes...and only those that bike.
But there are many more benefits coming from the SRT than a place to ride a bike. Many small businesses have been created and existing business are thriving due to the fact that the SRT brings in more people to the area. That increases employment and tax revenue.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,410,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Let's back up to your boat theory. Lake Hartwell and the dam were originally constructed by the corps of engineers for navigation, hydropower, and flood control. Only later was recreation added to the list of uses. You pay taxes on your boat for water patrol and public maintenance of boat ramps and piers.
Okay valid point (though I don't use public boat ramps) i'll give you that. So you are saying it is needed to pay taxes on a boat based off of public funds going toward ramps, patrol, lake maintenance, etc.?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Tax dollars are used to maintain the lake, enforce the laws, maintain the park, etc. Not to mention the tax breaks and guaranteed profits the utilities make. The divide between private and public when it comes to utilities is soft one.

Does your boat have a motor?
It sure does, and just like I asked to the prior poster, are you in fact in favor of taxing boats due to it taking public funds to maintain the lake and its parks/ramps? (which once again I do not use)

Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Because one causes wear and tear on the roads, pollutes the land, water and air, and costs us all as a community a whole lot more tax dollars than the other one does.

Encouraging bike usage saves tax dollars, reduces pollution, reduces health costs, boosts local business, etc...

Encouraging bike usage through bettering bike infrastructure is a no-brainer that most of the nation (and western civilization) has already figured out. Some people are just slow.
This is what you think because obviously you support cycling and is quite subjective. You know what else reduces pollution and costs less...walking.

Let me also bring up something, not everyone has the physical capability to ride a bike. Would you be okay with someone walking or in a wheelchair using a bike lane?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
**crickets**
Sorry, I went on a quick bike ride.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:29 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,263,419 times
Bicycle people should get a rebate on their taxes for making an effort to commute more responsibly and with less impact on everything. We would pay for this rebate with a tax on gasoline. Car culture is out of control and a financial drain(welfare suck) on our society. Its time the promoters of autocentricity start to pay impact fees for what their culture has festered in to.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:10 AM

5,423 posts, read 6,155,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Bicycle people should get a rebate on their taxes for making an effort to commute more responsibly and with less impact on everything. We would pay for this rebate with a tax on gasoline. Car culture is out of control and a financial drain(welfare suck) on our society. Its time the promoters of autocentricity start to pay impact fees for what their culture has festered in to.
If you purchase an electric car you get an $7500 Federal Rebate plus in most states you get an additional tax break.

So a bicycle tax rebate would not be out of the question.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Look for those that can get around everywhere on a bike thats great. Not everyone can do that. I have no problem at all for reducing the carbon footprint but you can't discourage car drivers from doing something that is necessary to their daily lives by taxing them more while (as it is now) cyclists pay nothing and use the same road.

I am not against bike lanes or cycling at all, I have a bike myself and ride. I would have absolutely no problem paying taxes on it if I decided I wanted to ride on the road (I normally take it on trails). Furthermore, biking to work really isn't very practical for me considering it is a 10 mile commute. Call me lazy, but thats a bit too far for me on a bike. Not to mention its not really the best idea to show up to the office drenching in sweat smelling like crap in a suit and tie that I have to wear which may or may not be torn up by this point...oh yeah and probably late as well considering 10 miles on a bike takes a bit longer.

Im not even totally against cyclists getting a rebate on their bikes if their taxed.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:38 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,460,876 times
Default Fallacy Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
This is what you think because obviously you support cycling and is quite subjective.
Nope. Again you are completely wrong. There's nothing subjective about what I wrote. Just verifiable, easily found, pretty well-known information.

Do you know how to use the Google?

More protected lanes for bicyclists pop up in cities

Making The Economic Case For Cycling-Friendly Cities With Bikeonomics

How Bike Lanes Increase Small Business Revenue

Protected bike lanes strengthen city economy, report finds | News | Archinect

Every Study Ever Conducted on the Impact Converting Street Parking Into Bike Lanes Has on Businesses - CityLab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or