U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2016, 01:46 PM
 
38 posts, read 40,005 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

I can't see taxing folks using bicycles, but I would FINE them if they're riding two abreast -taking up 3/4s of the road - especially on a very curvy country road with hardly any straight areas to pass safely - and all the while refusing to move to the right to let a car go by! I've had this situation several times and it's dangerous for all involved. Most bicycle enthusiasts are very aware and polite, but some just seem arrogant and too self-important to "share the road"! Come on, be aware of vehicles behind you and cycle in a caring way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2016, 09:10 PM
jac
 
382 posts, read 856,706 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny50 View Post
I can't see taxing folks using bicycles, but I would FINE them if they're riding two abreast -taking up 3/4s of the road - especially on a very curvy country road with hardly any straight areas to pass safely - and all the while refusing to move to the right to let a car go by! I've had this situation several times and it's dangerous for all involved. Most bicycle enthusiasts are very aware and polite, but some just seem arrogant and too self-important to "share the road"! Come on, be aware of vehicles behind you and cycle in a caring way.

Riding two abreast is perfectly legal, according to the South Carolina Code of Laws.


SECTION 56-5-3430. Riding on roadways and bicycle
paths.

(D) Bicyclists riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride
more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways
set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 03:32 AM
 
114 posts, read 150,968 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
So you're saying the process goes like this:

There is a problem.
The government taxes this problem.
The problem goes away.
The government resumes raising revenue through normal means.

What's the problem here?
The government invents other "problems" to keep up a revenue flow that is more than necessary.


We then expand "problem" to be defined as "any behavior I don't like," or, "Any action contrary to my agenda." If we happen to be in power, we use the taxation arm of Big Brother to get what we want.


Furthermore, government ALWAYS needs "more." It is never satisfied. It is up to the citizenry to inform government, "OK, that's enough."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 04:27 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,493 posts, read 6,215,609 times
Reputation: 3813
Currently the federal government gives a $7500 tax credit and SC gives up to a $2000 credit as an incentive to build and buy electric vehicles. Those vehicles are supposed to be "green" and reduce carbon emissions. They use the same roads as carbon fuel based vehicles do.

So why then would you tax bicycles if those bicycles also do not emit carbon emissions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 04:33 AM
 
215 posts, read 145,349 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Riding two abreast is perfectly legal, according to the South Carolina Code of Laws.


SECTION 56-5-3430. Riding on roadways and bicycle
paths.

(D) Bicyclists riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride
more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways
set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles
'Legal' isn't the same as 'common sense'. Don't come crying to me when you become a hood ornament. There are a lot of cyclists here in the north county (I'm one of them), but there are few that do seem to think that they own the road. Just move over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Gray Court, SC
2,638 posts, read 1,742,372 times
Reputation: 2699
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Riding two abreast is perfectly legal, according to the South Carolina Code of Laws.


SECTION 56-5-3430. Riding on roadways and bicycle
paths.

(D) Bicyclists riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride
more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways
set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles
Wow, wonder if there is a fine or something for that?? Im sure the local law enforcement could make a killing around my house on the weekends if theres a fine! I have seen these guys take up BOTH lanes as they ride in front of my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 05:57 PM
 
38 posts, read 40,005 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Riding two abreast is perfectly legal, according to the South Carolina Code of Laws.


SECTION 56-5-3430. Riding on roadways and bicycle
paths.

(D) Bicyclists riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride
more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways
set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles
Well, If it's legal I guess it must be okay, but is it safe? I'll wait until it's safe to pass even if I'm going 3 mph mostly because I''m retired and don't have to get anywhere on a schedule. How many other drivers are working and have time constraints and worry about getting to an appointment or job with other people waiting for them?? Sharing the road works both ways is all I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 AM
jac
 
382 posts, read 856,706 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny50 View Post
Well, If it's legal I guess it must be okay, but is it safe? I'll wait until it's safe to pass even if I'm going 3 mph mostly because I''m retired and don't have to get anywhere on a schedule. How many other drivers are working and have time constraints and worry about getting to an appointment or job with other people waiting for them?? Sharing the road works both ways is all I'm saying.
I agree that sharing the road goes both ways. I was just pointing out that you can't assess a fine for something that is legal. I do realize that there are cyclists who break the law, just like there are motorists who break the law. However, there are many times that people get upset at cyclists for doing what the law allows.

Personally, I ride as close to the side of the road as is safe. To me, that just makes sense. I think many who ride two abreast do it as a form of protection (easier to see 2 bikes instead of 1). It has been over 2 years since I have ridden on the road. I don't feel very comfortable with the level of anger towards cyclists in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2016, 11:40 AM
 
2,049 posts, read 1,833,749 times
Reputation: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Riding two abreast is perfectly legal, according to the South Carolina Code of Laws.


SECTION 56-5-3430. Riding on roadways and bicycle
paths.

(D) Bicyclists riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride
more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways
set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles
Section 56-5-3420

A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway must be granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter, except as to special provisions in this article and except as to those provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application.

Section 56-5-1560

(a) Impeding traffic by slow speed prohibited. --No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

Following this, it would seem that driving two abreast and holding up the flow of traffic could be considered impeding the flow of traffic. Common sense would tell you to move to the right so cars can pass. I don't understand the fringes of either side - car drivers that think bikes shouldn't be allowed on roads and those few bike riders that are inconsiderate of cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2016, 04:27 PM
 
783 posts, read 1,099,603 times
Reputation: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Section 56-5-3420

A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway must be granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter, except as to special provisions in this article and except as to those provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application.

Section 56-5-1560

(a) Impeding traffic by slow speed prohibited. --No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

Following this, it would seem that driving two abreast and holding up the flow of traffic could be considered impeding the flow of traffic. Common sense would tell you to move to the right so cars can pass. I don't understand the fringes of either side - car drivers that think bikes shouldn't be allowed on roads and those few bike riders that are inconsiderate of cars.
It clearly says that No person shall drive a motor vehicle slow. It doesn't say bicycles that are slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top