Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 02:54 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
I agree with Florida Heat.

Woodruff Road
Pelham Road
I-85 from 385 to the Airport
Laurens Road
Cherrydale
White Horse Road (the whole thing)
385 bottleneck at Woodruff Road
Haywood Road
Wade Hampton BLVD
291, especially around Red Lobster/Wade Hampton
Poinsett HYW
123, especially Easley

All nightmares.

There are too many people here, and the sooner dumb magazines stop making GSP to be some paradise the better.
This post gives an inaccurate impression Greenville residents drive all or most of these roads on a daily basis.

For example, if you live in the Simpsonville area, you rarely drive down Pelham, Wade Hampton, Laurens, 291, Poinsett, and 123 in Easley. Most people only drive on a small portion of Haywood in front of the mall.

Most will almost never be on Whitehorse road.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:29 PM

105 posts, read 107,615 times
I-85 from GV to Atlanta is built for 1960's traffic, and so is much of SC. That is because the population explosion did not occur until recently.
Agreed GV is better than cities 5-10x larger. But the traffic system is bad, and will only get worse if people keep coming. That in itself needs to be considered before moving there and adding to the mess.
It is what it is. I also drove from Woodruff to SR 25 up to Henderville. Stopped at every light, congested areas.
If this is not fixed soon the dreamers will be on to another paradise to destroy.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:03 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_in_Florida

Guess you weren't around when it snowed in Miami in the late 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heat View Post
Fl is over twice the size of SC. So it is extremely varied. A majority of it is rural. In north Florida there are seasons and leaves change. We get freezes almost every year and snow last year. But you can grow oranges here and northern trees also. The winters are the best in the world, consisting of 7.5 months of very dry air; 35% humidity.
June, July,August are hot during the day,92-98 (65% humidity) and at night usually about 78 and mild.Usually a breeze near the coast.
I would assume GV has a similar # of good months, but concentrated in the fall and spring. It is classified as a humid subtropical climate, and is in the deep south. It is generally 15-30 degrees colder in the winter and 5 degrees in the summer as Jax. So the differences are mild.
We have no ice ,snow, little fog,little cloudy winter weather, and good beaches with clear water. Air quality is excellent.( You have convinced me this place isn't that bad; thanks) The interior of Fl is a different animal which I would prefer GV to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Jacksonville has a lot more days over 90 degrees than Greenville. and much more humid in the summer.

You are not giving a realistic assessment of Greenville if you are saying things like I-85 thru the Upstate is only two lanes one way when it is three lanes. And making it seem like the entire stretch of I-85 in the upstate is bumper to bumper. The only congestion on 85 that I've seen is between I-385 / Woodruff and Pelham Road and that is only during rush hour. This is like a 2 mile stretch.

The the configuration of the I-385 and 85 interchange is in the beginning stages of being changed and this should help some with traffic congestion during rush hour.

traffic in the suburban areas of Jax is much much worse than Greenville. And a lot more lights and sprawl.
I just was on that stretch from Woodruff Rd to Hwy 14 right before 5pm today and you are correct, its a small area thats congested, and even then, it moves. Thankfully I dont have to travel on that stretch at that time very often. Woodruff Rd alone is worse than 85 sometimes, I think.

Quote:
I-85 from GV to Atlanta is built for 1960's traffic, and so is much of SC. That is because the population explosion did not occur until recently.
Agreed GV is better than cities 5-10x larger. But the traffic system is bad, and will only get worse if people keep coming. That in itself needs to be considered before moving there and adding to the mess.
It is what it is. I also drove from Woodruff to SR 25 up to Henderville. Stopped at every light, congested areas.
If this is not fixed soon the dreamers will be on to another paradise to destroy.
I don't know what way you went to get to Hendersonville but every light and congestion, from what point?? There's 2 lights for almost a 32 mile stretch from Wade Hampton to the first light if you go through Flat Rock, unless you take 25 to 26 to get there, then it's even longer without any lights. You make it sound like the entire way there there were lights and congestion.

I dreamed of moving to the mountains for about 30yrs, thank goodness dreams really do come true!

Old 11-19-2015, 04:06 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Quote:
You appear to have a low tolerance level for any traffic. You also complained about Asheville's traffic and Greenville is much bigger. It seems like you would have targeted a much smaller town for relocation. Greenville county is the most populated county in SC.

You've complained about I-85 but it is 6 lanes through the populated areas of the Upstate.

You appear to a dreamer, if you are looking at moving somewhere else to escape Florida. Traffic is not a major issue in Greenville outside of rush hour in some spots. If you do decide to move somewhere, you will be adding to the traffic in that city.

I don't think Greenville has ever been touted as a 'paradise'. It is a nice place to live as are other places, particularly if you like living near the mountains.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:43 PM

401 posts, read 379,009 times
Can't believe how many of you are taking the OP seriously.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:55 PM

105 posts, read 107,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post
Can't believe how many of you are taking the OP seriously.
You're right: I made it all up and didn't mean any of it. It was a bad dream.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:05 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvilleNativ View Post
And to confirm my suspicions, looks like they are not content in Florida either. Probably just a complainer. They have posted this exact thing on numerous Florida posts:

"I Have been in Florida for 35 years and it is pathetic. I am in Jax know which at least has a fall season.
The heat and humidity starts in April and doesn't let up till minimum October-November-December.
That means mold, roaches,mosquitoes, fire ants,bad tempers,torrential rain and lightning. The government is corrupt run by developers, which pillage the land and defraud the homeowners.
Highways are undersized which causes continuous traffic problem.
The landscape is a soul killer. Jobs are low paying. Alot of deranged people here seeking paradise.
No sense of community." - Florida Heat
You're no better than the other guy as you blanketed all of Florida as being pathetic. So it must have been so pathetic that in a short 35 years you still haven't moved.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:34 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
You're right: I made it all up and didn't mean any of it. It was a bad dream.
Sounds about right to me. You can now wake up.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Quote:
Sir, because I am trying to save your area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry, but this is one of the most hilarious post I've ever seen on CD!

Carry on about how bad Greenville is though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area