U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2015, 09:45 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,260 posts, read 16,761,633 times
Reputation: 4848

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
OK after more research, this deal really blows.

Besides the annual fee, Shipt marks up the grocery prices 15-30%. That could get quite pricey for most folks.

Let's say your grocery bill (as an example) is $300 a month. The fee breaks down to $8.25, plus at least $45 on markup (most likely more), then you are spending over $600 extra per year.
Costs are associated with convenience. Someone has to be paid for picking items on the order, delivering the order, covering expenses for fuel, and for time worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
33,975 posts, read 42,176,913 times
Reputation: 56117
Its only available in the Atlanta area of GA so far, but if I was still working I would use it if it came to my area. I really sort of enjoy grocery shopping now. I take my time and sort of zone out. Back in the day, I would have loved to just skip the rushed trip to the store on the way home from work. $100 a year sounds very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Upstate
5,413 posts, read 6,144,813 times
Reputation: 3706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Costs are associated with convenience. Someone has to be paid for picking items on the order, delivering the order, covering expenses for fuel, and for time worked.
I agree. The service is very popular in Florida, that the company is having a tough time keeping up with demand. Reviews have been positive that I read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 02:18 PM
 
94 posts, read 69,191 times
Reputation: 100
It is a luxury/convenience product. It's certainly not for everyone. The costs are necessary to provide the service at all. The membership fee pays for the corporate costs (infrastructure/payroll to corporate employees/etc...) The markups are mostly to pay the shoppers, who are independent contractors. A $100 order can easily take 1 hr+ to drive to the store, shop, and then deliver it. That $100 order will pay the shopper about $12.50, but they are using their own car, have no benefits, etc. So, like I said, it's a luxury/convenience product that isn't for everyone, but there are TONS of people out there who will use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 03:18 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,260 posts, read 16,761,633 times
Reputation: 4848
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I agree. The service is very popular in Florida, that the company is having a tough time keeping up with demand. Reviews have been positive that I read.
Increased demand should lead to higher prices or critical job opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2016, 04:41 PM
 
201 posts, read 283,134 times
Reputation: 128
Just had my first order delivered. Website is easy to navigate, a $60 order of groceries took about 3 minutes to from start to finish (credit card info is already loaded in). Shopper texted me at store to inform me a product was not in stock and I texted back a substitute. I asked for a delivery at 6-7pm and shopper showed up at 6:10. If you are familiar with Publix, this service is very convenient.

For this convenience, though, you do pay a price. Products were a tiny bit more expensive (hard to tell exactly how much they mark things up, will require a comparison of my receipt next time I go to the store). There wasn't a delivery fee because I paid the introductory membership price ($49/yr). Also, you don't have to tip, but you really should. I can't imagine a shopper making a living off this job, I would say it has similar prospects to delivering pizzas or UberX. If you've ever worked for tips, you know what I mean.

All in all, not sure if I'll renew next year, but for about an extra $15, I got an hour of quality time with my daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2016, 07:14 PM
 
94 posts, read 69,191 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant08 View Post
Just had my first order delivered. Website is easy to navigate, a $60 order of groceries took about 3 minutes to from start to finish (credit card info is already loaded in). Shopper texted me at store to inform me a product was not in stock and I texted back a substitute. I asked for a delivery at 6-7pm and shopper showed up at 6:10. If you are familiar with Publix, this service is very convenient.

For this convenience, though, you do pay a price. Products were a tiny bit more expensive (hard to tell exactly how much they mark things up, will require a comparison of my receipt next time I go to the store). There wasn't a delivery fee because I paid the introductory membership price ($49/yr). Also, you don't have to tip, but you really should. I can't imagine a shopper making a living off this job, I would say it has similar prospects to delivering pizzas or UberX. If you've ever worked for tips, you know what I mean.

All in all, not sure if I'll renew next year, but for about an extra $15, I got an hour of quality time with my daughter.

I am a shopper for Shipt. The markups are generally between 10-15%. And you are right. Without tips, this job can be very unprofitable for shoppers. Your $60 order paid the shopper about $8.75, but they had to use their own car, gas, etc, and they are self employed so they have to pay income tax AND self employment tax on that, leaving them with about $6. From start to finish, that process can easily take over an hour. So yes, tips are always very much appreciated. And thanks for using Shipt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2016, 08:58 AM
 
1,515 posts, read 1,892,178 times
Reputation: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman39 View Post
I am a shopper for Shipt. The markups are generally between 10-15%. And you are right. Without tips, this job can be very unprofitable for shoppers. Your $60 order paid the shopper about $8.75, but they had to use their own car, gas, etc, and they are self employed so they have to pay income tax AND self employment tax on that, leaving them with about $6. From start to finish, that process can easily take over an hour. So yes, tips are always very much appreciated. And thanks for using Shipt!
Wow. $6 per delivery? I was considering driving for Shipt and now I'm not going to do that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2016, 01:37 PM
 
94 posts, read 69,191 times
Reputation: 100
Well, I actually do very well with it. Once you get a few shops under your belt, they allow you to do multiple shops at once. If you are smart about it, and are efficient, you can actually do pretty well. Everyone's situation is different. I manage to do 12-15 shops in an 8 hr day. With multiple orders at once, doing larger orders, and tips, I have had days where I made over $25 an hour. There are also slower days where it is tougher. A lot of it depends on tips. My avg tip is about $8. If you had previously though about doing it, I highly suggest it. Give it a shot and see how you like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top