Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 885 times

Advertisements

Hi - we are moving to Greenville and are looking to move into Simpsonville. We have heard some say to stay away from Hillcrest high school and other say they have had no issues. Can anyone from the area chime in on their thoughts on Hillcrest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 07:27 PM

34 posts, read 28,391 times
I have kids at Hillcrest High. They love it and we have had nothing but positive experiences there. Simpsonville is a great place to live and raise a family and Hillcrest is part of Simpsonville. Welcome to town!

Old 01-23-2016, 07:38 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Having raised three kids I can say that they are all different and had differing needs and experiences with school. It is good to research schools online but I also recommned visiting the schools you are considering while they are in session. That being said I have not personally heard anything bad about Hillcrest High.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:55 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
The only problems Ive ever heard at Hillcrest were problems caused by people who complained the most about being there. I wouldn't worry.....

Old 01-23-2016, 08:46 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,683 times
I have one that is graduated from Hillcrest and another that will graduate in '18. I have the upmost respect for the administration and faculty. Either of my children could have qualified for one or more of the "magnet" programs available throughout Greenville county. We / they chose HHS. No regrets. Schedule a visit.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:32 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
When my daughter was in Mauldin's Marching Band the place she and the band felt less safe was traveling to Hillcrest. In fact they often left those games early because they didn't feel safe. I am looking for articles to back up my comment. Here is one:

School officials say Hillcrest ninth grader had gun, magazine wi - FOX Carolina 21

I posted this in another thread years ago; read the last paragraph.

Quote:
For those that may have missed the comments as he came upon McDonald's; there was a shooting in the parking lot of that strip mall. It was said that school rivalry lead to the shooting after a game between Mauldin and Hillcrest HS's. I have never heard of a Mauldin student bringing a gun to a game but we hear it happens at Hillcrest too often.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/3442262-post8.html

Old 01-25-2016, 10:43 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
There is nothing wrong with Hillcrest. Good school.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:00 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
If you just look at the test scores from the SC school report cards, Hillcrest has somewhat underperformed when compared to other schools like Mauldin, Wade Hampton, Riverside, and Eastside.

That said, there does seem to be a trend for improvement and test scores don't really say everything about a school.

Report Cards - South Carolina Department of Education

Have you ever visited the area? I'd suggest visiting the area and looking around before settling on a specific town to live in. What is a great fit for your family is likely different from what fits my family so it's hard to recommend a specific place without knowing you and your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area