Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:00 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKern View Post
Sorry to hear all that trouble with AT&T. I have heard similar stories from a few others - so it is safe to say I'm probably not going to consider getting the U-verse even when they do become available.

What is the name of this 60Mbps "internet only" package from Charter and what is it supposed to cost per month? This is the one I need.
Look at the bottom of page. Internet alone is $39.99 for first 12 months

https://www.charter.com/browse/content/packages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:42 PM

31 posts, read 38,044 times
Ahh..yes, I see it..thanks! Not a bad price for the 1st year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Look at the bottom of page. Internet alone is $39.99 for first 12 months

https://www.charter.com/browse/content/packages

Old 02-03-2016, 04:22 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,209 times
It's infuriating how they don't put the price *after* 12 months anywhere on their website.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:37 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
It's infuriating how they don't put the price *after* 12 months anywhere on their website.
That's because it is subject to change. I think the standard rate for Charter Internet-only is $59.95 + junk fees

Old 02-03-2016, 05:50 AM

826 posts, read 1,126,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
That's because it is subject to change. I think the standard rate for Charter Internet-only is $59.95 + junk fees
No fees on Internet. It's 59.99 all in currently.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:11 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Not sure what the current promo is, but a few years ago it was $39 for the first year, $45ish for the second, and $59 after that.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
I think AT&T's biggest problem is consistency from neighborhood to neighborhood (mostly due to the copper involved in that last 1000 feet IMO).

Our U-Verse (TV and Internet) was vastly superior to Charter. Charter's internet was a bit faster down (60 vs. 45), but AT&T provided more upstream bandwidth. We also had a noticeable slowdown several days a week (early evening when demand was high), and numerous outages in the 18 months we used Charter. Even after having a new cable drop from the pole to our modem, the modem replaced, and numerous service calls, we'd still have to reboot the modem several times a month to get service back (generally at high load times).

We had one outage with AT&T in two years, and never any noticeable difference in speed.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:51 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
All non-contract prices are subject to change, but only in the cable and healthcare industries are they kept secret.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:15 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post

Not only that but they screwed up my billing every single month until I finally canceled the service (didn't give me the promotional price and said they fixed the issue, each month I would owe more and more over the promotional price, each month they told me they fixed the problem until I ended up owing like $300 more than I was supposed to, at which point I canceled).

AT&T is the worst company on the planet - their wireless division has some of the worst customer service known to man as well. After the U-Verse debacle I went through, and wireless issues I had with them a decade ago, I vowed to never give them another cent of my money no matter what they offer.
I almost forgot that ATT has a major credibility issue in regards to their promises.

When I went from dsl to a higher speed and had Charter as an option at a similar cost ( but would require running a new cable to an upstairs bedroom since the internal cabling was used to by Dish) I called ATT if they can match the free installation and free modem that Charter offered at that time. The rep agreed to waive the $100 modem fee and said a supervisor will call to see if they can waive the $100 installation fee. Finally at 7 PM she calls on my cell, from California , agreeing to it ( while I was out shopping). I agree to ATT's 1 year contract deal and they come and change dsl to U-Verse.

But in 1 1/2 months, when he first bull comes I get a $100 fee. I call and they say that it is an installation fee. I state that their supervisor had agreed to waive it. They say that it will be removed but, lo and behold, it appears the next month. And I call once again. By the 5th month they flat out lie to me and state that no supervisor had called and that that they are not allowed to remove installation fee. I had agreed to a year contract in exchange to waived fees. I threaten to cancel the contract. Finally after 9 months they remove that fee.

If you choose ATT and they offer any reduction in fee or service charge, get it in email / writing. Otherwise you will go through a nightmare, like I did. They are the biggest bunch of bait and switch people, especially in the consumer division. The business reps are more pleasant and reliable.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
By the 5th month they flat out lie to me and state that no supervisor had called and that that they are not allowed to remove installation fee. I had agreed to a year contract in exchange to waived fees. I threaten to cancel the contract. Finally after 9 months they remove that fee.

If you choose ATT and they offer any reduction in fee or service charge, get it in email / writing. Otherwise you will go through a nightmare, like I did. They are the biggest bunch of bait and switch people, especially in the consumer division.
I know exactly how this feels as I went through something very similar with Time Warner. They promised me the moon with an awesome package that was above their advertised one. By the time I got my equipment and everything installed, I noticed premium channels were missing, sports packages were missing, and the internet service was not the right speed. Longer story, short... I've now downloaded a call recorder on my cell phone and set it to record all calls to and from numbers that are not stored in my contacts list. I've used this several times to push back to shady sales/customer reps and their "supervisors"

I suggest you do something similar. North Carolina and South Carolina are 1-party consent law states, meaning only 1 person in the conversation needs to give consent to the conversation being recorded. These days most states are the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area