Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 12:53 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon all!

Since I have a snowday here, I've been hitting the research hard. I'd asked about Fountain Inn. I got luke warm results-although my friend that lives there raves about it. I know about FIRE as they do quite a bit wit them.

So that being said, what other areas would be good for us to start looking? Hubby is coming down to start job hunting this spring. He'll take our truck and camper and stay at a campground while looking and if he lands a job until I can get everything tightened up here after we sell our house. We are looking to put it on the market by end of June.

Since schools aren't a factor for kids, but a district that I can work in the transportation end or administrative side is what I am looking at. I don't mind a 30 min drive to work, I've done it for years.
I still wouldn't mind living near things that might be walkable. I like a small town feel.

Our friend gave us industries in the area to start looking into for the hubby. He'll be watching for job postings and applying. It's got to be better than here. He just interviewed for a third time at a local grocery store as a meat wrapper at $9hr. Median income here to have a 1 bedroom apartment is now at $82K a year salary. We are doomed here. Even though we don't have a mortgage anymore, it's the taxes and high expenses here. We just want to downsize a bit and put away a nest egg after we sell here. I don't need a McMansion. We'd seen some older homes-late 1800's to about 1940 that caught our eye in the area. They have character and interesting details. That's what we are hoping for in a home. Just jobs that we can pay our bills and live to a ripe old age being comfortable.

So give me ideas. We are narrowing it down between this area, Charleston area and Savannah, GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Travelers Rest sounds close to what you are looking for in a town. We don't have a lot of walkable communities but TR is on the Swamp Rabbit trail, and much of the downtown area is very walkable.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:11 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Just did a walk-through on a brand-new home in Fountain Inn; beautiful neighborhood, walking distance to a quite charming downtown, close to the library and the Younts Center for the Performing Arts. Also 3 minutes form I-385. And affordable. There are older homes in that area too, if that is what you prefer. The more I see of Fountain Inn the more I like it.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:36 PM

635 posts, read 754,324 times
If you think $82,000 is high for the median salary, you do not want to look at Charleston or Savannah. COL is extremely expensive because of the location. My 1BR out of the city was $950/month. In another suburb, it was $1200/month for a 2BR/2BA. Good paying jobs are harder to find in Charleston unless you are in sales, IT, military, or healthcare.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:06 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
Was Fountain Inn the place where the landfill was smelling so bad like rotten eggs?

edit - no, it was further south from there.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:57 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
If you think $82,000 is high for the median salary, you do not want to look at Charleston or Savannah. COL is extremely expensive because of the location. My 1BR out of the city was $950/month. In another suburb, it was $1200/month for a 2BR/2BA. Good paying jobs are harder to find in Charleston unless you are in sales, IT, military, or healthcare.
I thought about the same thing. Out of all of the areas the OP is researching, Greenville is going to be the most affordable. Spartanburg is even less expensive. I don't know much about Fountain Inn but it feels far from Greenville to me. I guess it's no a big deal if you don't plan on going to Greenville alot. Out of all the areas mentioned, I prefer Traveler's Rest but that's just my opinion.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:37 PM

792 posts, read 496,724 times
Fountain Inn/Gray Court are going to have much more bang for your buck housing wise compared to TR. Even more so if you slide over to the Woodruff/Reidville/Moore Greater Metropolitan Area. But I don't know about "walkable"

Other "Upstate" possibilities. Landrum or Tryon (yes that's NC but close enough) Westminster/Walhalla, Liberty/Central

If you aren't hellbent on the Upstate, here are some places to Google Map. Clinton, Newberry, Conway, Edgefield, Cheraw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area