Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:33 AM

10 posts, read 9,779 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I just recently moved here from Michigan. We are currently in temporary housing, but are moving into our new house next weekend. We bought a home in the Hawthorne Ridge subdivision. It is located off of Woodruff Rd and E Georgia, 29681 zip code. It is a new construction home and we are having trouble finding any internet providers. We have already confirmed with AT&T, Frontier and Charter that they do not service our area. Does anyone know who we can contact to get internet set up? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:08 AM

826 posts, read 1,125,306 times
Those are the only internet providers in that area. Is this a new build on a new street? Perhaps the address hasn't made into their systems yet.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,625,981 times
That's what I would suspect, that it just isn't in their system yet, especially since there are so many houses in that general area. We ran into the same problem a few years ago with AT&T when we switched to their internet and had to tell them their box was right in front of our house. Then they sent someone to verify and then we got service.

When you are in your new neighborhood / street take note of any of the green/light green-ish or other colored utility type boxes near the curb every so many houses. They should be internet providers and possibly larger power boxes. Any of those should have who owns them identified. Just check a few in case you have more then one option to choose from.

If for some reason they're not present I would contact the builder about did they get internet utility's run into the neighborhood or not, but again it's likely it's just not in the internet company's computers being newer.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:29 AM

Yes, it is a new build home. The street has to be fairly new, however there are some homes already being lived in on that street. It's just strange because every time we type in information about internet providers, the sites will state that they service our address, but then once we call and actually speak to a live person to set it up, they tell us that they do not. We are sort of at a loss...

Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Thank you so much Pshychoma! We have some photos of the exterior of the home on our phones and see those boxes you are talking about. We will take a drive over there today and see if we can find out what provider/s have service there.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:29 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,589 times
Verizon has good 4G coverage in that area.. if you can't get anything else, maybe get a jetpack "Mi-Fi?" I can't speak for the pricing on it, but it is an option.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:36 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Verizon has good 4G coverage in that area.. if you can't get anything else, maybe get a jetpack "Mi-Fi?" I can't speak for the pricing on it, but it is an option.
We do this in our RV while traveling, and it works pretty well (with enough tech gadgets in the mix), but we have an old grandfathered unlimited plan.

The best deal Verizon currently has is 18 GB per month for $100. That's fine for light browsing, but won't get much more than that.

Without our unlimited plan, we'd pay well over $1000 a month for the amount of data we use (less than half of what we are allowed to use on charter)

Old 02-27-2016, 09:52 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times
I know of another option until one of the larger providers "adds" your subdivision.

Dish Tv and DirectTv offer satellite based internet. You might look into that until land-based service arrives.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:04 AM

826 posts, read 1,125,306 times
You may want to talk to your contact at the builder as well. They may know the right person to call here locally. If your calling charters or att national phone number those reps can really only do what the system will allow them.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:13 PM

Thank you so much to everyone for the responses. We went over to the house today and were not able to find any boxes on our actual street for AT&T/Charter/Frontier. However there is another street in our sub, just one house down from us and they are being serviced by Charter. We attempted to contact our local Charter branch and the phone call was re-routed to somewhere in California. We were told that we will have to physically go to the branch and that there is no direct phone number that will allow us to speak with someone at the Simpsonville location and that they do not want people to be able to call them directly.

We also spoke with the woman who initially walked us through the home, she works for Meritage/Legendary Homes and she said that she thought Charter was the provider. We have also contacted Direct TV and Dish network and they both said that they do not service our address either. So far the only luck we have had is with Hughes??? They apparently are also satellite based. They have been the only ones to confirm that they can provide internet to us. However, my husband is stating that he would prefer a cable internet provider, as the phone and satellite providers cannot provide the speed that the cable providers can. I don't know if anyone has any input on that, but feel free to let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area