Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,484 times

Advertisements

We are going to be relocating to Greenville SC by the end of summer or Early fall. My daughter is currently enrolled in an alternative highschool- small classroom, no homework and it has worked out for her beautifully! She had generalized anxiety and has a hard time with focusing ( at times) is there anything like this in the area? Or perhaps a school that doesn't give out tons of homework? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 08:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 2,850,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellekauppila1980 View Post
We are going to be relocating to Greenville SC by the end of summer or Early fall. My daughter is currently enrolled in an alternative highschool- small classroom, no homework and it has worked out for her beautifully! She had generalized anxiety and has a hard time with focusing ( at times) is there anything like this in the area? Or perhaps a school that doesn't give out tons of homework? Thanks in advance!
I don't know but that sounds a lot like my son- I homeschooled him in high school.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:00 AM

7,255 posts, read 4,582,647 times
I don't know about their homework levels but Next high school Greenville is supposed to be a newer/different structure for students, may want to look into it: https://www.nexthighschool.org/at-a-glance

There are also several private schools in the area but I imagine majority follow the regular school formats. School starts mid to late August here many areas.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:02 PM

22 posts, read 12,730 times
In the beginning stages of a potential move to the Greer area. Husband would be transferring with a promotion. I am wondering how new kids are treated? Is it easy to fit in? Are kids generally welcoming to new students? I do realize this would be varied depending on which school/area but in general how is the process for kids. Have a sophomore, 7th grader and a kindergartener.
Also what districts have good schools k-12.
Any advice or input would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Old 11-25-2018, 06:03 PM

My kids were grown when we moved here, but based on our experience in Raleigh, which also has a lot of newcomers, and my conversations with friends, there are so many transplants here that new students are a common occurrence, so no issues.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:00 AM

Thank you, I sort of figured that’s the way it is. My 15 year old is struggling to fit in where we live now. This is where he mostly grew up. He started here in 1st grade and it seems as though the parents make the choices here. Like if you didn’t do play dates and mom isn’t friends with someone else’s mom then you aren’t going to be able to be friends. Very Clicky, which I know can be anywhere but it seems to be on the high end of what is normal. There is segregation based upon income and we are middle class. Small minded. I just don’t want to “jump out of the frying pan into the (fire) fryer...

Last edited by Fabienne77; 11-26-2018 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne77 View Post
Thank you, I sort of figured that’s the way it is. My 15 year old is struggling to fit in where we live now. This is where he mostly grew up. He started here in 1st grade and it seems as though the parents make the choices here. Like if you didn’t do play dates and mom isn’t friends with someone else’s mom then you aren’t going to be able to be friends. Very Clicky, which I know can be anywhere but it seems to be on the high end of what is normal. There is segregation based upon income and we are middle class. Small minded. I just don’t want to “jump out of the frying pan into the fryer...
Don't know where you are currently living but that reminds me a lot of LI, NY where we lived before moving to Raleigh 20 years ago.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
My kids were grown when we moved here, but based on our experience in Raleigh, which also has a lot of newcomers, and my conversations with friends, there are so many transplants here that new students are a common occurrence, so no issues.
Quote:
Don't know where you are currently living but that reminds me a lot of LI, NY where we lived before moving to Raleigh 20 years ago.
Central NY, one of the fingerlakes. There is so much that I love about this place on the outside, it’s beautiful. On the inside however it is very ugly.
My son didn’t make a varsity team initially based on grades but there is s system of academic probation that is supposed to be offered. Initially he was not offered academic probation because he “didn’t fit the culture they are trying to build.” Aka he isn’t friends with the majority of the team...they just never accepted him so he has his own group of friends that aren’t really into sports. It’s not like he causes problems. He has played sports with all of them from 3rd grade on. No real issues. Very frustrating. As a parent I want him to be happy and succeed and I feel like this place is not conducive to that.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne77 View Post
Central NY, one of the fingerlakes. There is so much that I love about this place on the outside, it’s beautiful. On the inside however it is very ugly.
My son didn’t make a varsity team initially based on grades but there is s system of academic probation that is supposed to be offered. Initially he was not offered academic probation because he “didn’t fit the culture they are trying to build.” Aka he isn’t friends with the majority of the team...they just never accepted him so he has his own group of friends that aren’t really into sports. It’s not like he causes problems. He has played sports with all of them from 3rd grade on. No real issues. Very frustrating. As a parent I want him to be happy and succeed and I feel like this place is not conducive to that.
Yes, I can relate. BTW I spent 4 years in that cold part of the country. Brrr....

Old 11-26-2018, 09:36 AM

4,893 posts, read 7,405,545 times
Quote:
Certainly sounds like the areas around Washington DC. DC is so beautiful with the monuments etc but ugly, ugly people.

Our kids are grown but I’ve certainly found people here (Spartanburg) to be much, much more pleasant and welcoming. In one year, I can honestly say we have made far more social connections that decades in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area