Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,473 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My wife and I are early 30s with a small child and seriously considering a move to Overbook. We love the location but don't know anyone who currently lives there. Any information you have on the neighborhood would be great (Is it safe place, demographics, good place to walk/run, etc.). Trying to figure out why homes here are so much cheaper and whether they will stay way long term. Also, since we have a small child how is East North Street Academy and how easy is it to use school choice? THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 12:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCgrad05 View Post
Hey everyone! My wife and I are early 30s with a small child and seriously considering a move to Overbook. We love the location but don't know anyone who currently lives there. Any information you have on the neighborhood would be great (Is it safe place, demographics, good place to walk/run, etc.). Trying to figure out why homes here are so much cheaper and whether they will stay way long term. Also, since we have a small child how is East North Street Academy and how easy is it to use school choice? THANKS!!!
I actually looked at this area as well. I don't know much about it than it is in a good location. I've driven through a couple times and it looks decent. From what I see, most of the homes are small. I see investors buying houses there and flipping them. Honestly, I think in the future, it will go up in value and will be a good place near downtown to live. I think it will be a good investment as well. It's nice because you can buy a home now for a reasonable price. I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:40 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,964 times
I wouldn't buy a house just because it will be a good investment. Is it some place I want to live? Does it meet most of my needs and wants?

I'd live in Overbrook as an almost 30 year old pretty quickly. East North St is a good school and school choice is as easy as entering a lottery and driving your kid to the school outside their zone.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:14 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,789 times
There was a residential burglary reported over there last month. It's a really old area. The homes are small by modern standards. I also think they are pretty close to each other with small yards. If your neighbor is loud or messy, it will be a nuisance you won't be able to ignore. I don't think upkeep is consistent over there and it certainly doesn't bring to mind the sort of historical preservation or classic restorations in the "Augusta Road" or "North Main" areas. You won't turn that around by yourself. But there is an outside chance you could enjoy living there.

One thing I like about it is it would be close to Cleveland Park which accesses the Swamp Rabbit Trail for biking and running. Some downsides include poorer neighborhoods within walking distance and its really near LEC, the local jail.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:41 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
My Aunt moved into that area 30 years ago when it wasn't the best neighborhood (and that is being nice). Anyhow, in the last 5-10 years, a lot of the houses around her have been renovated. As another mentioned, many of the homes in that area are smaller so it will never be an upscale location. That said, I do think the area has seen significant improvement and will likely continue to improve in the future. It is relatively close to downtown, and as the downtown area grows, the "Augusta Road" and "North Main" neighborhoods become increasingly pricey and unable to meet the demand. I wouldn't rule the neighborhood out if I found a house there that met what I was looking for in a home.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:10 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
We looked into Overbrook, but only found a couple of blocks very appealing and no homes for sale in those blocks.

As others mentioned, the homes are smaller, older, right next to each other, and tend to need a lot of work to get up to modern standards of living.

The proximity to downtown is very nice.

What stood out to me about East North Street Elementary was that 80-85% of the kids were on the assisted lunch program.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 3,526 times
I have lived in Overbrook for over 15 years!!! I love the neighborhood...my neighbors are great although I have seen many come and go but in my opinion it is a wonderful neighborhood. Many houses have been built or renovated making the neighborhood even more beautiful.
My children have gone/go to East North Street Academy now my children are not on the free/reduced program but does that really matter
I hope it is the right neighborhood for you like it has been for my family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area