Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 06:43 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times

Advertisements

Yes completely different and you will feel it fast. The differences will become even more noticeable the further from Greenville you get. No real major cities in the area the size of Sacramento. The obvious difference of course is, how different the culture is. Some can adjust and some cannot. Maybe you can do the move on a trial basis, in case living in the Southeast isn't for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 10:14 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes completely different and you will feel it fast. The differences will become even more noticeable the further from Greenville you get. No real major cities in the area the size of Sacramento. The obvious difference of course is, how different the culture is. Some can adjust and some cannot. Maybe you can do the move on a trial basis, in case living in the Southeast isn't for you.
Have you ever lived in Greenville? Lakeland FL is at least 8 hours away.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Actually, the live music scene is the thing I miss most after moving back here from the Raleigh Durham area. I generally don't care for the "major" acts that play Clemson or Bon Secours. The Handlebar shutting down was a huge blow to the area in my opinion.
Raleigh metro has a unique situation with the two largest public universities in the state and the largest private college in the state all be located in the area.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:29 AM

4,231 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Raleigh metro has a unique situation with the two largest public universities in the state and the largest private college in the state all be located in the area.
That only plays a small part really. It's not because of the college situation, it just happens to be a larger metro with more population to pull from and it also happens to be a place that has a solid local music support base. The average age of attendees at most shows I go to up there is certainly over college age.

Colleges do help some at times though - that's one reason Columbia got more musical acts I was interested in than Greenville during my time in SC.

The real reality for music in Greenville is that there are already cities surrounding it that are staple stops on tours. Atlanta, Charlotte, and Asheville. And then Athens sometimes too. It's just hard to break into the tour rotation here with so many regular, proven stops within a few hours.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:39 AM

all those college kids definitely help, there are about 85,000 students between Duke, UNC, and NC State. ATL probably has even more than that.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 AM

16 posts, read 25,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSquared82 View Post
I've grown up in California and I've had a few family members move to the Greenville, South Carolina area. My question is, is the culture as different as I've heard, from what I'm used to in California?
I think we could better answer your question if you can tell us what you like/dislike, why you are considering leaving CA (if you are), and what you've heard about the culture here.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
all those college kids definitely help, there are about 85,000 students between Duke, UNC, and NC State. ATL probably has even more than that.
They help some (and there certainly are a lot more local shows as a result of the college-aged kids in the area), but you could close all the colleges and Raleigh would still continue to be a staple stop for touring bands. They just have a better music scene with a larger potential audience, colleges or not. I was involved with the music scene there for years even after I moved to SC. In bands, helping to book, etc. The music scene is healthy with people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s still attending shows on a regular basis. It's just part of the culture there. Kind of like how Asheville gets a plethora of good touring bands instead of Greenville. It's just how it's been for years.

Don't get me wrong, there is local talent still (I have some very talented musician friends in Greenville), but in general music was the biggest thing I missed while living in Greenville in comparison to anywhere else I have lived. Obviously if music isn't a large part of someone else's life then they won't view things the same way I did. For example, I don't play golf, so I can't comment on the golf scene around Greenville, but as a musician and having music as a huge hobby, that is my view after years spent there.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfootbuilt View Post
I think we could better answer your question if you can tell us what you like/dislike, why you are considering leaving CA (if you are), and what you've heard about the culture here.
agree 100%. It's very hard to give blanket answers as you can see in here. People value and look at different things.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:23 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Have you ever lived in Greenville? Lakeland FL is at least 8 hours away.
I've been there. The Southeast is the Southeast no matter where you go. Give the person a break, their coming from 3000 miles away. Have you lived in Calif? Greenville or any where in the South will be a huge change for the person. It's no insult to Greenville or the Southeast to be open and honest about the difference in culture.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:29 PM

i don't think there is one 'culture' in the south or anywhere. As I've said, i worked in DC and outside of NYC and there was no culture shock for me. How is this possible if the southeast is so different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area