Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 03:17 PM

142 posts, read 176,614 times

Advertisements

Huh reed067??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I spend time out in TR almost every weekend and I have never really noticed much of a difference. It probably is a bit cooler but not enough to make a difference. When it snows, Paris Mountain will get a bit more but again, not something to worry about more than once or twice a year if that. You wont be cold anywhere in SC 10 out of the 12 months of the year if not 12 out of the 12 months of the year!!
Your last sentence is only partially true. Every winter since I moved here from Chicago, I have felt colder than I ever did there. This, I believe, is due to the fact that my home is on a concrete slab, it has a lot more windows, the heat vents are in the ceiling, and the homes are not well-insulated like those up north.

The good news is that winters here seem much shorter and falls and springs are more beautiful and longer. I remember January days that were so warm people were dining outside in downtown Greenville. Overall, winters are much, much better here than up north. It may not get as cold, but it's a much damper cold, if you know what I'm saying.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:50 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenJim View Post
Huh reed067??

My wife & I used to live in Asheville, NC. And we watched it get over crowded & the cost of living went out the roof. We had to leave Asheville to take care of my mom who passed last month. We have been planning to move to Greenville before we had to take care of her. To make a long story short we don't want to see Greenville become another Asheville.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 AM

142 posts, read 176,614 times
I totally agree with you about not wanting what has happened to A'ville happen to G'ville. I always think about that in the back of my mind. Sorry about your Mom.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:01 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My wife & I used to live in Asheville, NC. And we watched it get over crowded & the cost of living went out the roof. We had to leave Asheville to take care of my mom who passed last month. We have been planning to move to Greenville before we had to take care of her. To make a long story short we don't want to see Greenville become another Asheville.
The Greenville area is already a great deal more crowded than Asheville. There are more people in Greenville county than there is in the whole Asheville metro area.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:49 PM

23 posts, read 30,283 times
I just communicated with my former co-worker that was in Greenville last week on vacation, attending the Pearl Jam concert. She only spent a day or two there but was very positive about it. She told me she didn't see sprawl as a huge problem there. And she commented how beautiful the area is. She felt the area seemed not over-populated at all just 10-15 minutes from downtown. She may have been traveling west or north, I didn't ask. Nonetheless, she seems to think I'd like it there. (Keep in mind, we're both in a metro area of almost 3 million, so perhaps Greenville seemed like a small town to her.) Thanks again to everyone that replied. Now if I can just get the same information about Chattanooga, I'll be in a better position to figure out where I may want to relocate. Or, as I said, just come down and visit both areas in a couple of months.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:02 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebco View Post
I just communicated with my former co-worker that was in Greenville last week on vacation, attending the Pearl Jam concert. She only spent a day or two there but was very positive about it. She told me she didn't see sprawl as a huge problem there. And she commented how beautiful the area is. She felt the area seemed not over-populated at all just 10-15 minutes from downtown. She may have been traveling west or north, I didn't ask. Nonetheless, she seems to think I'd like it there. (Keep in mind, we're both in a metro area of almost 3 million, so perhaps Greenville seemed like a small town to her.) Thanks again to everyone that replied. Now if I can just get the same information about Chattanooga, I'll be in a better position to figure out where I may want to relocate. Or, as I said, just come down and visit both areas in a couple of months.
That's good news and thanks for sharing. Keep us updated

Old 04-21-2016, 01:16 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebco View Post
Thanks again to everyone that replied. Now if I can just get the same information about Chattanooga, I'll be in a better position to figure out where I may want to relocate. Or, as I said, just come down and visit both areas in a couple of months.

I think that's your best bet. Speaking from experience, when you research cities online, you develop an image and perception in your head of the place. Once you actually arrive there in person, that perception is completely shattered as you drive into town and see everything in person. In my experience, I remember taking a deep breath and saying "wow" the first time I drove into Greenville - very pleasantly surprised, and it exceeded my expectations 10-fold. We were very skeptical about moving here once an excellent job offer was received, due mostly to the negative stereotypes of the south, and SC, held by most northerners. I remember when the offer came in, looking at my partner and saying "where? SC..Eh....." That has all changed, and we now feel as though we are one of the lucky ones, ending up in one of the South's hidden gems - a truly unique and highly livable city, surrounded by terrific forests, waterfalls, and panoramic mountain views.

As for the sprawl comments. The subdivision sprawl on the E-NE side of Greenville is NOTHING compared to most northern cities. Check out Greenville on Google Earth, then look at any northern city like Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc. No comparison at all.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:09 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
You definitely have to visit, and possibly more than once. I was first attracted to Greenville because of what I had read about it. The first part I saw was Haywood Road and, coming from the suburbs of north Raleigh, I was overwhelmed at the traffic. Then I saw Laurens Rd-motor mile- and again was underwhelmed. Once I saw downtown, though, I was in love, and fell further in love when I met friendly people every where I went. Of course once I spent more time here I got to explore all of the other beautiful areas of Greenville. I'm hoping that the redevelopment plans for Laurens Rd will soon take place and improve that streetscape.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:59 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
The Greenville area is already a great deal more crowded than Asheville. There are more people in Greenville county than there is in the whole Asheville metro area.

Greenville is more spread out then Asheville is too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area