Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:45 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
haywood is bad during afternoon rush hour around 385.
I noticed this. Seems to be more recent as I didn't remember this happening just last year. I do know that right now quite a few people are moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 10:47 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I noticed this. Seems to be more recent as I didn't remember this happening just last year. I do know that right now quite a few people are moving in.

This is a huge office complex right next to the mall and that plays a part in it.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
This is a huge office complex right next to the mall and that plays a part in it.
True, but I don't remember it backing up like this last year. People are moving in. The numbers in our meeting were 3200 people monthly right now.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 PM

158 posts, read 180,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebco View Post
I'm looking for a small city/big town, near hills. I want a place that has all the amenities you would need (good medical care, stores, restaurants, etc.) but where you could be at the core of the small city/big town and then be basically in a rural area within 10-20 minutes. In other words, I would like to live in a rural or semi-rural area but have the aformentioned amenities with 10-20 minutes. What I can't stand is a bunch of sprawl. I live in one of the top 25 metropolitan areas now, and it seems like from the urban core you drive 35 miles in any direction (or more) and you're still in suburbs and congestion. I should mention that I am averse to the extreme cold. I don't mind relatively mild and short winters. This would probably rule out most locations out west.

The two areas that stood out to me on the map were Greenville, S.C. and Chattanooga, TN (By the way, I'll be asking the same thing on that forum.) So does Greenville fit what I'm looking for? Any help would be appreciated. (And if it matters, I'm in a healthcare field that has decent jobs just about anywhere in the country.)

Thanks!

I could have typed this up myself. I enjoy both Chattanooga, TN and Greenville, SC. I chose Greenville because it's much closer to the beach. Best of both worlds IMO, mountains behind and beach a mornings drive away. 4 seasons are nice as well with a short winter and a nice long Spring and Fall. Hope to move there in 2018.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:44 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
It's just more crowded. Traffic is heavier etc. Just the county is around 500k, not counting msa. I have family in Asheville, so I visit often. Great city, but it isn't more crowded than Greenville though. According to city-data Greenville is also more dense even though it's metro spreads some.

The summers in Asheville are terrible!

We used to live off Brevard Rd. It would take me 10 mins in the summer to get to work. Going back home not only did I have to brave though the local traffic but the tourist traffic as well. So going home it took me almost an Hr some times. I'll take the local traffic in Greenville any day.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:16 AM

23 posts, read 30,244 times
When I started this thread I did not expect it to reach seven pages. I appreciate everyone that has participated in this thread and I feel like I'm starting to get a good idea about Greenville before I even make it down to visit. I hope people are as friendly as they are on this forum. It appears people in Greenville are happy to talk about their town.

I posted the same question(s) in the Chattanooga forum. So far, not one response. I guess they don't like talking about their town as much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post
I could have typed this up myself. I enjoy both Chattanooga, TN and Greenville, SC. I chose Greenville because it's much closer to the beach. Best of both worlds IMO, mountains behind and beach a mornings drive away. 4 seasons are nice as well with a short winter and a nice long Spring and Fall. Hope to move there in 2018.
Tell me your thoughts on Chattanooga, related to the questions I have. Perhaps I can get all my answers in one thread, and delete the other one.

Again, thanks to all. I will continue to check back here for more and look forward to visiting.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:47 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
you are correct! My mind read it as woodruff because that is the only road i associate with any traffic in Greenville haha.

Haywood rd on the other hand, I would agree. I never had a single issue with traffic on that road and I was on it regularly.
We stayed at the Hyatt on Woodruff the first time we came here, and I was referring to the traffic coming off of 385. It's better now becuase there is no turn on red.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:54 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebco View Post
When I started this thread I did not expect it to reach seven pages. I appreciate everyone that has participated in this thread and I feel like I'm starting to get a good idea about Greenville before I even make it down to visit. I hope people are as friendly as they are on this forum. It appears people in Greenville are happy to talk about their town.

I posted the same question(s) in the Chattanooga forum. So far, not one response. I guess they don't like talking about their town as much?

Tell me your thoughts on Chattanooga, related to the questions I have. Perhaps I can get all my answers in one thread, and delete the other one.

Again, thanks to all. I will continue to check back here for more and look forward to visiting.
Wow, no responses. Glad we've been helpful. Feel free to ask more

Old 04-27-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The summers in Asheville are terrible!

We used to live off Brevard Rd. It would take me 10 mins in the summer to get to work. Going back home not only did I have to brave though the local traffic but the tourist traffic as well. So going home it took me almost an Hr some times. I'll take the local traffic in Greenville any day.
Happens here every rush hour morning and evening on freeways. What highways in Asheville are you speaking of? I'll look up daily traffic count and compare. No way an area with that much less people has more traffic. I've been there in rush hour and didn't see or feel this. The only problem there in freeways have less lanes.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:39 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Happens here every rush hour morning and evening on freeways. What highways in Asheville are you speaking of? I'll look up daily traffic count and compare. No way an area with that much less people has more traffic. I've been there in rush hour and didn't see or feel this. The only problem there in freeways have less lanes.

We both lived & worked off Brevard Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area