Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:30 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times

Advertisements

I think the trolley is a great concept but it would be nice if the route would be expanded and hours extended. I think it should stop at more key points like the zoo, Cleveland Park, Bon Secours, Bob Jones, etc. Also, go all the way down N Main to Rutherford, part of the Augusta Rd area (maybe to Grove Rd) and lastly the Overbrook District. All of these places are within a couple miles of downtown and I think it could easily be done. I think it would bring more people to these establishments and bring more people to downtown. The other thing that would be nice if they extended the hours, at least on the weekends.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 11:18 AM

843 posts, read 1,430,930 times
I did read an article recently about changing the route to include some of the north main neighborhood. But what you're wanting is more of what I think Greenlink's scope should be.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:22 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,448,592 times
I think it should connect Greenville with Spartanburg. It should go east to Taylors and continue on with additional stops until reaching Spartanburg and then return. They shouldn't even bother doing anything if it is only going to be useful to a tiny percent of the people (at a huge cost to everyone who will never even use it once).

Old 04-23-2016, 09:59 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 315,972 times
Is there any understanding here of what the trolley is or does?

It is a limited use vehicle that moves people around downtown Greenville. It would not be suitable for longer trips all around town and certainly not for a Greenville-Spartanburg route.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:00 AM

77 posts, read 110,443 times
Many progressive cities have bus/trolley routes to improve the environment, however, Greenville can't even figure out how to recycle glass.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:36 AM

632 posts, read 747,765 times
Having watched the transit authority in Greenville effectively collapse due to gross inefficiencies and mis-management , only a few years back, it's rather doubtful that they are going to get any significant infusions of uncommitted money, anytime in the near future. They are currently about as expanded as their finances will allow.

We can forget recycled glass.... almost no one wants it, even for free, right now. Recycling has to have buyers before it is practical. You find thme buyers and cities will once again recycle glass. This leaves you two options. Greenville can landfill it or we can watch a rapidly expanding mountain of glass growing behind city hall. Don't be too surprised if their plastics recycling efforts follow suit, sometime in the foreseeable future. China was the big buyer for both commodities, until their economy tanked too.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:14 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,588 times
Buses have a image problem here. It is known as low or no cost transportation for the working poor here. Therefore, not something someone would endure without some very good reasons. Once you own a car and pay for it, the incremental cost of the fuel and expanded number of places you can go to with it, a bus ride pales in comparison. Buses have schedules, you wait for them, its cold, its hot, some people smell funny, you need exact change, and so on. So, they struggle to make money.

You are right in that a lot of people will take the trolley as opposed to the bus. It's more of a tourist or visitor style transport, limited wait time, limited travel time, and the users are typically people on their day off, catching a baseball game or riding around downtown. Once it starts looking more like a bus and bus routes, it might start becoming something people avoid again.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:26 AM

I can understand not going over the top in expanding the route. I feel that stretching it around downtown is a good concept. It's somewhat useful now but it could be so much more.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:39 AM

843 posts, read 1,430,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I can understand not going over the top in expanding the route. I feel that stretching it around downtown is a good concept. It's somewhat useful now but it could be so much more.
I really can't figure out if you're talking about the Greenlink Bus, which goes multiple locations you mentioned, or the trolley which is strictly downtown and I think aimed at tourist.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
I really can't figure out if you're talking about the Greenlink Bus, which goes multiple locations you mentioned, or the trolley which is strictly downtown and I think aimed at tourist.
The trolley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area