Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Define the term affordable. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean other people can't.
Try to stay focused...we are talking about subdivisions. I can more than afford a custom home if I was in the market for one. If you look at the homes being built in these subdivisons, many start in the low 100's to mid 200's, 1500sf to 3000sf. Now tell me where you can find a house of your specifications (custom, not stick built), with the square feet people are looking for in that price range, being built on a pace that they are being built by the major companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 10:09 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Let us know where they are building homes that are affordable like the ones you mentioned. Although some of these older homes are available on the market, there are not enough of them for the growth that is expected in the Upstate.

There are historic neighborhoods everywhere just waiting for revitalization. People need to buy these homes and invest their cash into contractors who will restore them, instead of spending the same amount of cash on creating subdivision sprawl.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:37 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
the perplexing thing to me in suburban america is that it seems like many people are drawn to crappy lots, poor planning, narrow roads, minimum build quality, and low-end finishes as long as they can have that 3,000+ft² house, of which they rarely use a large percentage. The house I sold when I moved had an 18x14 master bedroom. We both have a lot of clothes, and between the closet and the bedroom we had room for all of our stuff with plenty of room around the dressers and other furniture. We had a chair in the corner for reading and a wall-mounted bookshelf with a desk area for working/reading.It was a nice Master. Spacious without wasted space.

Yet, several people commented the Master was too small during showings. I think it's a southern mindset, where people are just used to low cost of housing and thus are used to having large houses vs what's really functional for every day living. As a result, they say 'why spend X on 1800 ft² on this older home when I can spend X on 3000 ft² here!'. So yes, if you want 3000ft², you're going to pay an arm and a leg to get that in an older house downtown. But does everyone really need all that space?

Old 04-26-2016, 11:59 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
There are historic neighborhoods everywhere just waiting for revitalization. People need to buy these homes and invest their cash into contractors who will restore them, instead of spending the same amount of cash on creating subdivision sprawl.
I can see the value of buying a 'finished house' instead of upending your life with endless renovation, dealing with contractors, and the inevitable heartbreak of at least one of the projects.

But I'm also surprised that existing cleared and platted land isn't built out further before bulldozing a large adjoining area.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Two or three years ago i was flying back into GSP and I was amazed at all the unfinished developments below.

Why would builders even consider building new houses in new subdivisions when the old ones aren't full?

Why would home buyers even consider buying homes in brand new empty subdivisions when there are so many 5-6 year old subdivisions still half empty?

Old 04-26-2016, 01:11 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Two or three years ago i was flying back into GSP and I was amazed at all the unfinished developments below.

Why would builders even consider building new houses in new subdivisions when the old ones aren't full?

Why would home buyers even consider buying homes in brand new empty subdivisions when there are so many 5-6 year old subdivisions still half empty?
Exactly that is what I am wondering. I mean we have them that are over 8 years old off of Lee Vaughn barely filled and everything being build is essentially the same price range on 0.18 acre lots. Our lots were build with normal foundations and keeping trees reasonably intact but they just bulldoze EVERYTHING.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:36 PM

180 posts, read 341,648 times
There are tons of homes being built that's for sure. I think people just want to buy a brand new house that's just as expensive ,if not cheaper, than an older one. I looked at the subdivisions planned and there are some that have hundreds of lots. Right now, there is land being cleared for 83 lots near Southside Christian and 61 lots across from Five Forks Plantation.

Last edited by Sillymiller123; 04-26-2016 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
I agree about buying a new home. You can build it the way you like. What I don't agree with is how new builders bulldoze the entire subdivision without leaving trees and 0 lot lines. I'd much rather build or buy in a historic area if I could afford it.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
These are all cookie cutter tract homes where you can pick some customization (minor) nowhere near custom homes.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:24 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,165 times
Jamecita hit the nail on the head. People think they need all this room to live when they really don't. We aren't a very social culture anymore because when we get off work we go back to our McMansions and stay. Not meet friends for dinner or take the kids to the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area