Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:09 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,594,448 times

Advertisements

many years ago, I was a server at a national chain restaurant - most difficult job I've ever experienced - I gladly reward excellent service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 04:24 PM

5,145 posts, read 7,299,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I worked at a restaurant after college (thanks to the collapsed economy). Most (that have good tip possibility)won't hire you as a waitress without experience. You will also be bottom of the food chain so to say and the busy days with good tips will go to those who have been there longest so I'm doubtful you would really make money especially only having two days of the week available.

You could get a host job. Hosts get paid decently if they help when not busy and are a part of tip sharing. I made as much as the waitresses at times but I also worked my ass off to bust tables and keep drinks filled. Working at a restaurant isn't easy extra money though. If you are doing you job right it's incredibly stressful, hard, and exhausting work.
Yes indeed restaurant work is hard and exhausting, so selecting a potential high tip venue is crucial. As most restaurants exploit a loophole in the law that does not require them to pay minimum wage. So most compensation is tip based, so you don't want to work hard at a typical chain restaurant where folks don't tip. Unfortunately most restaurants only pay something like $2.35 an hour plus tips, and this so called tip sharing scheme only serves to make the employees pay each other, rather than be paid by the restaurant itself. As the bartenders and servers may pay the hostess and the busboy, etc. Only kitchen staff and cooks tend to be paid a higher wage. While you can make good money at the right restaurant, ranging from Waffle House to upscale, I got tired of this legalized scam a long time ago. But good luck selecting a good restaurant which may meet your immediate needs for additional income.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:03 AM

635 posts, read 751,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes indeed restaurant work is hard and exhausting, so selecting a potential high tip venue is crucial. As most restaurants exploit a loophole in the law that does not require them to pay minimum wage. So most compensation is tip based, so you don't want to work hard at a typical chain restaurant where folks don't tip. Unfortunately most restaurants only pay something like $2.35 an hour plus tips, and this so called tip sharing scheme only serves to make the employees pay each other, rather than be paid by the restaurant itself. As the bartenders and servers may pay the hostess and the busboy, etc. Only kitchen staff and cooks tend to be paid a higher wage. While you can make good money at the right restaurant, ranging from Waffle House to upscale, I got tired of this legalized scam a long time ago. But good luck selecting a good restaurant which may meet your immediate needs for additional income.
Do most restaurants tip share or are there only a select few?

Old 05-05-2016, 11:39 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,657,844 times
To the OP

If you are a CCU nurse could you not not volunteer to do extra shifts on weekends. The pay might be better than working these hard labor jobs at the bottom of the food chain ( no pun intended) for less money

Last edited by kamban; 05-05-2016 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
To the OP

If you are a CCU nurse could not not volunteer to do extra shifts on weekends. The pay might be better than working these hard labor jobs at the bottom of the food chain ( no pun intended) for less money
That's not what that stands for.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Yes to this.

I think the OP is a bit naive on the restaurant industry. Waiting tables is very hard work. You don't just walk into a successful restaurant with no experience and pick a few part time wait shifts on the side that you like.

You start as a host/hostess, or washing dishes and learn how things work. You get the crappy lunch shifts first. You work your way up and it's difficult work, and it takes time and experience to become a good server who makes good money.

With all due respect, the original post here is a bit of an insult to waiters and waitresses - that this is such a no-brainer job that you can just walk in and get a job (because you're awesome?), be good at it, and make good money as something on the side. It doesn't work like that.

If you were to apply to a decent restaurant and manage to get an interview, they are usually held between 2-4 mon-thurs, meaning you'll have to take off time from your other job. Do you know anything about how a restaurant works? Any of the lingo, or processes?

If you managed to get hired with no experience (not likely), your first shifts would be lunch during the week to see if you can handle things, and to learn. You won't make much money at all on these shifts, as you shouldn't because you don't know what you are doing.

After some time, if you manage to hang in there, you can get dinner shifts. After your night shift, you will be tired and wired at the same time. Parts of you may hurt, but there is no way you can just go home and go to sleep and you'll likely be up late. Your day job will suffer.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, just trying to introduce some reality here.
There's also such a thing as networking and "who you know in the industry."

I had the opportunity to work at an upscale place on Augusta and at one of the top restaurants downtown (more casual side). I just can't handle dealing with traffic at this point and need something closer to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area