U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:14 PM

15,823 posts, read 13,515,461 times

Advertisements

"Project Magellan" is an economic development project in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, that is speculated to be a Michelin distribution center.

It is speculated Michelin may locate a distribution center near the intersection of South Carolina Highway 101 and South Carolina Highway 417. The distribution center could have five 300,000-square-foot buildings.

Further reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:18 PM

Spartanburg County Council approved the second reading of incentives for "Project Magellan."

The projected location of "Project Magellan" is on Highway 101 South in the Woodruff community between Brockman Road and South Carolina Highway 417.

Further reading
Anderson, Trevor. "Spartanburg Council approves incentive plan for Michelin distribution center." Upstate Business Journal. 2016-05-17.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:46 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,166,513 times
Thats a good 4 or 5 miles at least out of town. Maybe a little more back to 85. I really dont see that as a good location for a distribution center, but the area is growing slowly. Its not too far from my house, like 12 miles, so if and when it gets done, I will be putting in my application. For reference, its the large portion of property across from the houses where the runway is, for those that know the area.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 PM

752 posts, read 430,616 times
It's great to see Hwy 101 being utilized. It can certainly handle the traffic. The junction with I85, hmm. Time will tell.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Thats a good 4 or 5 miles at least out of town. Maybe a little more back to 85. I really dont see that as a good location for a distribution center, but the area is growing slowly. Its not too far from my house, like 12 miles, so if and when it gets done, I will be putting in my application. For reference, its the large portion of property across from the houses where the runway is, for those that know the area.
The targeted site has direct reach to Interstate 85. How is that not a good location?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
It's great to see Hwy 101 being utilized. It can certainly handle the traffic. The junction with I85, hmm. Time will tell.
I hope the increase of industrial development along South Carolina highways 101 and 290 will spur Reidville Road (South Carolina Highway 296) to be widened from South Carolina Highway 290 to Woodruff Road in Greenville County sooner than later.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The targeted site has direct reach to Interstate 85. How is that not a good location?
Really just the distance. They were using a place in Laurens that was less than a mile from 385, and may still be using that location, Im not sure since the fire there several years back. Generally, distribution centers are located closer to interstates, at least the ones Ive seen and been around. The only ones Ive seen that far away, are generally just warehouse space. Im not knocking it, just saying I think its kinda strange to be so far off of the highway.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Really just the distance. They were using a place in Laurens that was less than a mile from 385, and may still be using that location, Im not sure since the fire there several years back. Generally, distribution centers are located closer to interstates, at least the ones Ive seen and been around. The only ones Ive seen that far away, are generally just warehouse space. Im not knocking it, just saying I think its kinda strange to be so far off of the highway.
There are other distribution centers locating in the general area. Being four or five miles away from an interstate highway does not appear to be a negative. Keep in mind there are indirect connections to Interstate 26.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:25 AM

Im not saying its a negative, by any means, and in this case, I think its a good thing, less traffic to deal with until youre closer to 85. However, as growth continues in the area, which Im sure will be due to Michelin, being that far off the highway can become a problem. Ive worked in the business long enough to see the possibility. Will it happen, only time will tell. I will say though, it can be a positive to be that far out. Needed improvements to roads and such will be made to accommodate the business, and that leads to other pluses for the area as well, so its not a totally bad thing. Look at the WalMart distribution center. Though close to the highway, it brought road improvements to the area (Eventually), and because of that, other businesses were able to locate there. Even the distribution center Michelin was or is using just up the road, that small barely 2 lane road has been widened and improved, so thats a plus for that area. Again, Im not saying where Michelin is building is a bad thing, I just found it odd to be that far out.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:56 AM

5,060 posts, read 5,654,941 times
Noticed surveyors working on the property for Project Magellan. Sad to see all those trees will be cut down soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area