Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 PM

513 posts, read 575,861 times

Advertisements

IMO, if Frontier just did an ATL flight it would be completely pointless. But I don't think that will happen, the email I got was specifically regarding direct flights out West.

Not to trash SW (we're better with than w/o), but I have been very disappointed. I haven't flown them once b/c they are always more expensive, and... Atlanta, really?
They could have been a game changer at GSP, but they chose not to be. And I know they changed their model and bought airtran, but they still service multiple markets from other similar airports, and have expanded like gangbusters at CHS.

Last I heard, JetBlue would most likely look at New York, Boston, and Miami. Does that sound correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 10:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
IMO, if Frontier just did an ATL flight it would be completely pointless. But I don't think that will happen, the email I got was specifically regarding direct flights out West.

Not to trash SW (we're better with than w/o), but I have been very disappointed. I haven't flown them once b/c they are always more expensive, and... Atlanta, really?
They could have been a game changer at GSP, but they chose not to be. And I know they changed their model and bought airtran, but they still service multiple markets from other similar airports, and have expanded like gangbusters at CHS.

Last I heard, JetBlue would most likely look at New York, Boston, and Miami. Does that sound correct?
That was my point. Frontier is trying to be in Denver what Delta is in Atlanta. They wont do an Atlanta connection, it'd more than likely be nonstop to Denver, since that's where 19 of the 21 new cities they announced will be flying to. Chicago and Philly are also possibilities.

I flew Southwest to Dallas from GSP - though obviously had to connect in Atlanta. The experience was fine and bags are free. Their boarding methods are weird tho but not enough to make me not fly with them again. And they're not Frontier and Spirit cheap, but they're also not Frontier and Spirit quality.

Routes don't always work. They likely didn't become a game changer because it wasn't going to be profitable, but things change and routes are brought back. Southwest could definitely try GSP again, especially now that the renovations are finished.

Yeah JFK, Boston, and Ft Lauderdale are Jetblue's big focuses, and theyre building a Caribbean presence. I've flow to and from DC and from NYC to Charleston on Jetblue and you just can't beat them. Quality service, good prices, and they also offer the most legroom of all the major airlines, while Frontier and Spirit offer the least.

Landing Frontier would be better than nothing, but flying to Denver for $49 is not as awesome as it sounds. Plus it won't really be $49, but still, it's a possible flight out west.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:16 PM

I've flown Frontier before and will again this summer and I don't have a problem with their model. I have to go to Atlanta to fly them but don't mind doing that, paying 30$ for a bag and bringing my own snack to save over a thousand dollars on 4 tickets. I'm all about the best deal when it comes to flying and I can handle a small seat for a few hours.

Never flown Spirit or JetBlue. I've heard a lot of people say they like it so I'm sure that would be a good get.

As for SW, I agree it is about the finances, but I'm not sure they really gave GSP a fair shot with the other routes before scraping them. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure someone could find info on load factors when they were running.

My main wish for GSP is for more destinations. JetBlue to Boston and Miami/ Ft Lauderdale and Frontier to Denver would all be great additions. I'd also like to see Lax and SFO in the near future. Someone mentioned Vegas, and I know Allegiant had a direct for awhile. I think it did well but was cut due to the distance being at the end of their range or something, that would probably be another good one for us. Anyone have any route wishes? I've often wondered if a Charleston flight would make sense.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:04 PM

We just "booked" a Spirit flight for fun from Chicago to ATL. What's advertised as a $34 flight ends up costing $114.29 when its all said and done, and that's before you have to pay for water on the plane. That costs more than the same flight on American and United. We almost did that Spirit flight back in October, but I'm so so glad I went with United. I'll probably never fly Spirit. Frontier is not that stingy, but it can still add up. That's good that you've had a good experience though.

I think that's just the nature of the industry. SW didn't leave GSP at once, but rather kept scaling back, but that's been happening at many airports lately, even major hubs like Phoenix. But maybe they'll try again. It's pretty interesting that their market share is 3rd considering they only fly to one place - and to the a place that's already dominated by another airline.

I'm not an expert but I personally can't see LAX or SFO happening anytime soon. Vegas with Allegiant possibly. I'm not picky about destinations, but I'd like more original ones. Seems most mid-level southeast airports fly to all the same places. It'd be cool if GSP got something random like Austin or New Orleans or Boston or Milwaukee, idk. I'd really like bigger planes. More Boeings and Airbuses, less MD80's and Bombardier CRJ's. And of course, Jetblue presence.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:05 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Does anybody other than me remember Hare Krishnas with drums in GSP? Early 70's I think.
I remember them, mostly from the movie "Airplane", but they were big in the 70's when the white hippies joined the group and showed up at airports to "drum up" donations. Airports began banning the groups and the HK's lost a battle in SCOTUS to stay in the airports. After that the hippies left and the group went back to it's core members of mostly Indian immigrants. They are still around.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:02 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
We got four tickets nonstop, round trip from Atlanta to Los Angeles in May on Frontier for $619 total! I don't care how small the seats are, for that price they can put me in the overhead bin.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
We got four tickets nonstop, round trip from Atlanta to Los Angeles in May on Frontier for $619 total! I don't care how small the seats are, for that price they can put me in the overhead bin.
Does that include your carry on and checked bags and seat fees, and taxes? I flew from ATL to LA on a Delta 757 last July and thought it was just right. Currently, Ill definitely take Frontier over Spirit and Allegiant.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Agreed, I got 4 nonstop from ATL to San Jose in the middle if the summer for $703. No it did not include checked bags, but no airlines do these days except SW. The best I could find from GSP to California around my dates that was a one stop and NOT an overnight flight was nearly two grand! $1300 savings, and non-stop... sign me up.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Does that include your carry on and checked bags and seat fees, and taxes? I flew from ATL to LA on a Delta 757 last July and thought it was just right. Currently, Ill definitely take Frontier over Spirit and Allegiant.
I don't usually do carry ons, every passenger gets a small personal item free, you can usually get what you need in a small bag there. Every airline now charges for checked except SW, it was only $30. I don't bother with seat assignments, they usually group parties together. That figure does include taxes.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Agreed, I got 4 nonstop from ATL to San Jose in the middle if the summer for $703. No it did not include checked bags, but no airlines do these days except SW. The best I could find from GSP to California around my dates that was a one stop and NOT an overnight flight was nearly two grand! $1300 savings, and non-stop... sign me up.
2 grand? That's crazy. Yeah that's one thing about flying out west, though there are deals to be found. You can fly from Charleston to Seattle nonstop round trip next month for $297 on Alaska, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it as high as $500 before in the summer.

Some good deals do tend to lurk around though, you just have to do some digging. Sometimes it may require more than one airline, or purchasing two one ways rather than a roundtrip. I've found some cheap flights posted in various places, like Atlanta to Rome for $400 - on Delta, not a European budget airline. Jetblue and SW are constantly having sales. When I went to Chicago a few months ago, it was actually cheaper to fly there on SW to Midway, and back on United from Ohare, and we were able to take the train to and from both for like $6 total. Sounds like a complex hassle, but it was actually a breeze.

The SW flight there was like $58, but the flight back to ATL was going to be over $100, even on Spirit, but I did some digging and found tickets with United for $60.

Also found a great deal on parking at ATL. Life hack if you decide to drive to ATL instead of connect from GSP: check with the hotels. Many of them offer parking for as low as $4-5/day, maybe lower, and they also offer free shuttles to and from the airport.

Also found an amazing deal on a hotel in the Loop at the last minute thanks to digging around. Not every option is right there on the surface. I've had similar situations before. And it's another reason I want to see GSP with bigger planes, they can help lower the cost.

Quote:
I don't usually do carry ons, every passenger gets a small personal item free, you can usually get what you need in a small bag there. Every airline now charges for checked except SW, it was only $30. I don't bother with seat assignments, they usually group parties together. That figure does include taxes.
Jetblue only charges a checked bag once it hits a certain size, I believe some other airlines do the same. I was able to pack enough clothes for 6 days to DC and NYC on Jetblue, plus carry on, and didn't incur a fee.

It just depends on where I'm going. If I'm gonna go to say Austin for a leisure weekend, I'll consider Frontier, but if I'm going to LA for a week long vacation or business, then probably not. I really have a thing with window seats and I'm tall so legroom is a factor. I flew from GSP to DCA on a regional jet and even though I had the row to myself I was still cramped. Plus the lack of entertainment and food charges for me. At least Frontier gives you water, unlike Spirit.

Budget airlines can also be more of a problem if theres a delay or cancellation issue since they have smaller fleets. I care about the cost, but the experience is a factor too and as with any product, you get what you pay for, so as long as you know what to expect.

Like I said, if Frontier does come to GSP, I'll be cool with it, but they wouldn't suddenly become my personal go to. Still more destinations is welcome and since the terminal is only at 1/2 capacity, hopefully the airport will get more aggresive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area