Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,774 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm trying to decide if I can make the move from San Francisco area to Spartanburg South Carolina.
The salary I'd be coming to (after bonus) would be about $66k. Being from the the Bay Area, this doesn't sound like very much (people need to make $144k to afford a house).
I'd like to live comfortably and buy a nice house.
By live comfortably, I mean I'd like to save for retirement, have a car payment, rent a nice place and have enough in a few years to buy a house to call my own.
I'm single if that helps.

Thank you in advance for your help and your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 05:40 PM

957 posts, read 2,609,651 times
You could live quite comfortably in Spartanburg on that salary, that's well above the average for the Greenville/Spartanburg area. It would be quite a culture shock moving from the Bay Area out here, so keep that in mind.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:59 PM

635 posts, read 748,245 times
Really think twice about moving from Cali to SPARTANBURG. It will be a HUGE culture shock.

The average home cost in SC is $127k. Your salary will be no problem. I'd be more concerned if you will truly be happy in this area. If anything, look at apartments in Greenville. There's more to do there than Sburg.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,649,309 times
$66K is higher than average for sure. You could get a decent house for that.

I'd come out and check it out before you decide.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:55 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,026,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
If anything, look at apartments in Greenville. There's more to do there than Sburg.
This.

Unless you just have your heart set on Sburg for some reason, give Greenville a look first.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 PM

299 posts, read 250,798 times
You will live very comfortably in Spartanburg. The home prices are a lot more affordable than most cities. There was a great article in the Upstate Business Journal about home prices in Spartanburg being more affordable. Spartanburg has a great quality of life. I live on the eastside of Spartanburg and truly love it. I think that you will truly love Spartanburg. Contrary to what CCUGal says we have a lot of great things going on in Spartanburg. As I posted on another post I know of three new families that just moved to Spartanburg from Greenville. One being my neighbor across the street and they love it here. Heather if you need to know more about Spartanburg, I will be happy to let you know.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 AM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherABC123 View Post
Hi there,
I'm trying to decide if I can make the move from San Francisco area to Spartanburg South Carolina.
The salary I'd be coming to (after bonus) would be about $66k. Being from the the Bay Area, this doesn't sound like very much (people need to make $144k to afford a house).
I'd like to live comfortably and buy a nice house.
By live comfortably, I mean I'd like to save for retirement, have a car payment, rent a nice place and have enough in a few years to buy a house to call my own.
I'm single if that helps.

Thank you in advance for your help and your thoughts.
The cost of living should be less in Spartanburg than it is in San Francisco.

Where in the Spartanburg area are you considering to relocate to?

Old 08-05-2016, 06:19 AM

2,437 posts, read 2,838,519 times
Spartanburg is indeed a great place to live; however for a young, single person, as others have said, you may find more to do in Greenville.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:21 AM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
There may be more to do in Spartanburg than there is to do in Greenville dependent on someone's interests.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:14 AM

635 posts, read 748,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nans123 View Post
You will live very comfortably in Spartanburg. The home prices are a lot more affordable than most cities. There was a great article in the Upstate Business Journal about home prices in Spartanburg being more affordable. Spartanburg has a great quality of life. I live on the eastside of Spartanburg and truly love it. I think that you will truly love Spartanburg. Contrary to what CCUGal says we have a lot of great things going on in Spartanburg. As I posted on another post I know of three new families that just moved to Spartanburg from Greenville. One being my neighbor across the street and they love it here. Heather if you need to know more about Spartanburg, I will be happy to let you know.
I'm sorry, but someone coming from a huge city like San Fran will not think Spartanburg is anything spetacular. Someone from Cali can chime in to prove me wrong. Also, wasn't Spartanburg just listed as one of the most dangerous cities in America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area