Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 12:50 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,937,194 times

Advertisements

Group threatening 'sit-ins' to meet with mayor, city officials

Clearly this man is not out to make positive social change or improve the lives of those in Greenville, he is clearly just trying to make a name for himself and/or create just anarchy.

The most disappointing part of this threat is his intentions on targeting downtown businesses that showed support for fallen officers when they were attacked but from his words "don’t show similar support for victims of unjust actions by officers."

First of all, certain people who are business owners may have an issue that touches them more dearly than others and want to be able to give back as being a good community citizen, how many give back to the Humane Society because they have a shelter pet? How many give to Susan G. Komen because a family member has cancer? How many of these businesses have family members who are Law Enforcement Officers ? Guess what, theyre a private business and can support or not support whoever the hell they damn well want!

And hey, before you jump all over the businesses that jump to help law enforcement officers who are attacked let me ask if you live in Greenville. If so, you recall the hurt our entire city felt when Officer Jacobs was killed and why did businesses jump in to support? Because he left behind a family while protecting all of us and that tragic event effected all of us here in Greenville, white and black. Not one unjust police shooting of a black man has occurred in Greenville so our local business owners are naturally more moved to support a local officer killed in the line of duty than the shooting of an unarmed black man in Louisiana. Hint as to why the review board in place that he says is not good enough have not seen any complaints...sorry the officers here are doing a fair and just job protecting us?

So go ahead, conduct your sit-ins at businesses that have done nothing more than try and give back and support the community (OUR COMMUNITY) and see how quickly a message of peace and unity between law enforcement and the African American community gets lost by some stupid, foolish, stunt and how quickly you loose support because of the way you went about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 12:55 PM

21,007 posts, read 27,075,551 times
I will reserve my comments on the "Black Lives Matter" movement for another thread.

Business owners reserve the right to deny service. If the individual wants to do sit-ins, not do business, and refuse to leave, he should be issued trespass and restraining orders or be arrested for loitering.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I will reserve my comments on the "Black Lives Matter" movement for another thread.

Business owners reserve the right to deny service. If the individual wants to do sit-ins, not do business, and refuse to leave, he should be issued trespass and restraining orders or be arrested for loitering.
I certainly hope they will be arrested should they choose to hold a disruptive protest in a local business. If these folks wanted to protest within the confines of the law in a public space, I applaud them for it. This takes it to a new level that cannot be tolerated, I dont care what they are protesting, they could be doing a sit-in at my office for me to get a $50k raise and I would still hope they get arrested.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,863 times
Hey guys! I'm an avid follower of this forum, but never bothered to post on here until now. If these people are practicing civil disobedience that is complicit and not hurting, harming or endangering anyone, then they are within their civil rights to act accordingly. Of course people are going to be upset because they are going to see the protesters as nuisances and an inconveience to everyone's playground a la downtown, but it's a noteable area to get people's attention. Protest is the American way, it's very much Americana from the very grassroots and every person should be entitled to do so no matter what group they have been "socially" classified as. It's just bothersome to many people in this community because we simply don't understand nor care about other people's struggles. Sometimes the fight isn't ours. In addition, it's not fair to let a few isolated incidents define a movement. There will always be a loose screw, a lone wolf, a rogue-seeking idiot in civil protest. I just felt enlightened to share my take on it all being a minority in this community I love dearly!

Old 07-26-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.clem.double.u View Post
Hey guys! I'm an avid follower of this forum, but never bothered to post on here until now. If these people are practicing civil disobedience that is complicit and not hurting, harming or endangering anyone, then they are within their civil rights to act accordingly. Of course people are going to be upset because they are going to see the protesters as nuisances and an inconveience to everyone's playground a la downtown, but it's a noteable area to get people's attention. Protest is the American way, it's very much Americana from the very grassroots and every person should be entitled to do so no matter what group they have been "socially" classified as. It's just bothersome to many people in this community because we simply don't understand nor care about other people's struggles. Sometimes the fight isn't ours. In addition, it's not fair to let a few isolated incidents define a movement. There will always be a loose screw, a lone wolf, a rogue-seeking idiot in civil protest. I just felt enlightened to share my take on it all being a minority in this community I love dearly!
You have a great response and I agree with you that if they are practicing civil disobedience and acting within the law they are well within their civil rights and I again applaud and even defend that for them.

My issue is when it becomes an unlawful protest and becomes a nuisence to local businesses and visitors downtown and what has been threatened is unlawful and exactly that. No one has the right to cause an unwelcome disturbance in a privately owned business and should be arrested accordingly.

Now, if this is taking place on the streets of downtown, or in Falls Park I have no problem with this whatsoever as long as it is peaceful and not hindering others from using the public facilities (blocking the sidewalks, entrances into the park, etc.).

As I said, the more this type of stuff happens, the further we come to an honest solution because all this does is build up further animosity towards a issue in which many may even agree with what you are "fighting" for.

You cant legally force people to pay attention or care about what you are protesting. You can sit out, chant, hold up signs, etc. and people can choose to pay attention or not but you cant dictate that, at least legally you cant.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,030,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.clem.double.u View Post
Hey guys! I'm an avid follower of this forum, but never bothered to post on here until now. If these people are practicing civil disobedience that is complicit and not hurting, harming or endangering anyone, then they are within their civil rights to act accordingly.
Nobody has the right to disrupt a business or traffic.

Yes, you do have a right to protest though, but move your ass over out of the way to do it.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,863 times
You guys too make valid points! I totally get why people do it. We shouldn't be surprised this is happening in a place like Greenville nor should we consider the entire practice of sit-ins as uncouth. It's just when we don't have a heart for the cause, it just annoys the hell out of people. I think sit-ins during the Civil Rights Movement were the most extreme form of peaceful protest, which most definitely ruffled feathers. I personally think this issue between people and state is beyond the realms of government, it's just a breakdown in (sub)communities altogether.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:08 AM

1,842 posts, read 2,748,671 times
I have no problem with the protests, but don't see this as reaching a level of injustice as the Civil Rights movement. After all, the group has the ear of the mayor and other city officials, but blew off a July 15 meeting without notice according to the Greenville News report. That makes it seem as though the leader is just looking for some excitement and publicity rather than trying to solve an issue with the community.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:01 AM

9,434 posts, read 9,716,847 times
From the article:

Quote:
The businesses that would be targeted, Wilson said, would be those he characterized as quick to respond with fundraisers or support when there is an attack on police but who don’t show similar support for victims of unjust actions by officers.
Wilson does appear to more of a publicity hound for himself instead of trying to raise positive awareness for his cause. It would be difficult for a small business owner to determine if they should publicly support a victim of an "unjust action". What one business may deem unjust, another may not. If an "unjust action" takes the life of an innocent person, then typically there are many avenues available for businesses and individuals to step up and support the family of the fallen. The bottom line is that public support of law enforcement is typically good for business. The media has a lot to do with swaying the public opinion on police actions, both good and bad. Maybe Wilson should focus his attention there.

But if they protest in a private business, they are breaking the law and should be removed and charged with trespassing.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,823,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
You have a great response and I agree with you that if they are practicing civil disobedience and acting within the law they are well within their civil rights and I again applaud and even defend that for them.
Civil disobedience is, by definition, violating the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area