U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 6,949 times

Advertisements

Taco Mac, a local sports bar chain in Atlanta would do very well in Greenville or even in Simpsonville or Greer area. I believe they have several locations in both Charlotte and Florida, so expanding into the Upstate is not completely out of the question. The food and beer selection blows Carolina Ale House out of the water. One can dream!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 05:32 PM

87 posts, read 43,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
One thing I can say is that Greenville has a decent selection of stores and restaurants. My issue is that depending on where you live, you may have to travel to the other side of town to get to them. I maybe spoiled, coming from FL, but I like convenience. I think more locations should be available. Let's take Greer for instance. If you want to go to Ross Dress for Less, you either have to drive to Cherrydale or Woodruff Rd. Same goes for a movie theater. If you live in Travelers Rest and want to go to Aldi, you have to go to Taylors. It was great that they opened Aldi in Greer but what about TR or Simpsonville. We only have one Sam's Club and it's off Woodruff Rd. These are just a few examples. I just like the convenience of being able to drive to certain stores or restaurants within 10 minutes or less. I know that I could move to Woodruff Rd but that's not neccesarily what I would do. Taylors could definitely use more retail. Greenville is starting to get better in offering more locations and I think they should continue because many would benefit from it. I know some of you won't agree but it's just my opinion.
I definitely agree with you on a lot of points. I live in Dunean, which is just south of downtown Greenville, near GMH. Even though I can easily jump on 85 from there and head to Woodruff, I find myself heading down 123 to Easley a lot for places like Sams, Academy Sports, Marshalls, Kohls, and a few other things, just to avoid Woodruff.

I also moved here recently from FL, so I know what you are saying about wanting to be close to things. There was definitely a convenience factor there that isn't as obvious here, despite actually having most of the same things.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:00 PM

3,688 posts, read 1,996,800 times
Shake Shack.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:14 PM

3,480 posts, read 4,562,617 times
Definitely Wegmans. And since they are entering the NC market, I'm hoping that this area won't be too far behind.

Pollo Tropical - use to be better, but if we got a good run location, I'd go. It's one of the few fast food restaurants I'd probably go to.

I think all the good ideas have already been expressed. Now, if you asked me what I'd like to see in Greer....

Old 07-31-2016, 06:25 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,036,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustcatcher View Post
I'd like to second the need for a Super Target (they have a great selection of gluten free convenience foods) and along that vein would do terrible things to see a Wegman's open up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman39 View Post
The grocery store scene is extremely competitive in the Upstate - I don't expect a Super Target here - I've been to an old location in Birmingham - it's great and a big step above Super Wal-Mart - I do expect Sprouts to announce an Upstate SC location in the next several years

I get what you are saying about the grocery store bubble, but with Super Target, it is about a lot more than the expanded groceries. EVERY department is larger. I used to shop at one a lot in FL, but never really got any groceries. Tthe overall selection was just far better than the average Target. . I wish that Berea wasn't such a "MEH" area. I think that would be the perfect spot for a Super Target. It could be the local Target for TR, Easley, Powdersville and western Greenville.
Target doesn't seem to be building the SuperTarget concept anymore. Too bad the SuperTarget at Garlington and Pelham was opposed back in the mid 2000's. They seem to be focused on stores from 20,000 to 125,000 (the standard size) currently. https://corporate.target.com/about/s...store-openings

I have read they are planning changes to the grocery dept with a larger focus on healthier items.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:58 PM

13,725 posts, read 11,746,219 times
Target has not been interested in opening additional stores in Greenville County for 12 years. I guess it lost interest in the market.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:08 PM

4,467 posts, read 4,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
One thing I can say is that Greenville has a decent selection of stores and restaurants. My issue is that depending on where you live, you may have to travel to the other side of town to get to them. I maybe spoiled, coming from FL, but I like convenience. I think more locations should be available. Let's take Greer for instance. If you want to go to Ross Dress for Less, you either have to drive to Cherrydale or Woodruff Rd. Same goes for a movie theater. If you live in Travelers Rest and want to go to Aldi, you have to go to Taylors. It was great that they opened Aldi in Greer but what about TR or Simpsonville. We only have one Sam's Club and it's off Woodruff Rd. These are just a few examples. I just like the convenience of being able to drive to certain stores or restaurants within 10 minutes or less. I know that I could move to Woodruff Rd but that's not neccesarily what I would do. Taylors could definitely use more retail. Greenville is starting to get better in offering more locations and I think they should continue because many would benefit from it. I know some of you won't agree but it's just my opinion.
Couldn't agree more. Wade Hampton has to be the most under served road in the entire state based on their daily vehicle count. We need a Ross, Marshall, TJ Maxx, Old Navy, movie theater, Chipotle, etc. but I don't want to derail the thread, just agreeing with you.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 PM

4,467 posts, read 4,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
West Elm - coming to Greensboro (it's also located in Birmingham, Charleston - Asheville has an outlet) - I expect WE to come to G'ville in the next several years

Container Store - Little Rock has a location - CS is located in very large Southeast cities - Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta (multiple locations) - not sure about CS coming here anytime soon

IKEA - coming to Memphis of all places (not Nashville) - I've been to the Charlotte location - I don't expect to see an Upstate SC location in the next decade or two

Crate & Barrel - located in Richmond, VA - but only located in other very large SE cities - Atlanta (multiple locations), Charlotte, Raleigh metro - not located in Nashville

Patagonia/North Face - Birmingham has a North Face location - Patagonia is only located in extremely large cities - in fact, Atlanta is the only SE city that has a location

Top Golf has confirmed it's scouting sites for a Birmingham location (I expect an Upstate SC location in the next several years)

The grocery store scene is extremely competitive in the Upstate - I don't expect a Super Target here - I've been to an old location in Birmingham - it's great and a big step above Super Wal-Mart - I do expect Sprouts to announce an Upstate SC location in the next several years

McCormick and Schmick's - has undergone significant reorganization since being (mostly) acquired by Landry's - M&S has closed multiple locations - Birmingham had a location at one time (closed in 2012)

Greenville could support a Village Tavern location - one of the few great chain restaurants

I expect a Newk's location at anytime in Greenville - there is a big hole of Newk's locations in Upstate SC/Western NC compared to the rest of the SE

If Simon would build an upscale out-parcel next to/near Haywood, it would attract many of the above national retailers

(when I mention "Southeast" above, I'm excluding the state of Florida)
Would you be shocked to learn that the Greeenville MSA is actually larger than Birmingham, Memphis, Knoxville, OKC and Richmond MSA's, just to name a few? People just don't realize how big our area has become.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Old 07-31-2016, 07:28 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,727,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Couldn't agree more. Wade Hampton has to be the most under served road in the entire state based on their daily vehicle count. We need a Ross, Marshall, TJ Maxx, Old Navy, movie theater, Chipotle, etc. but I don't want to derail the thread, just agreeing with you.
Yup, you are right. I'm all for those stores being located on Wade Hampton. I really like the setup of Cherrydale where all the stores are located in one lot. It's one stop shopping. There is plenty of room on Wade Hampton for all of this. The Bi-Lo still remains empty and would work well for retail. I think we could use an Ace Hardware store in that location. I have mentioned all of those that you have listed as well. Bring it on!

Last edited by beckycat; 07-31-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 07:30 PM

13,725 posts, read 11,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Would you be shocked to learn that the Greeenville MSA is actually larger than Birmingham, Memphis, Knoxville, OKC and Richmond MSA's, just to name a few? People just don't realize how big our area has become.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
It depends what is considered a metropolitan statistical area. Is the Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin, South Carolina Metropolitan Statistical Area really larger than the aforementioned areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area