U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:21 PM

9,748 posts, read 18,922,533 times

Advertisements

Awesome: City offered temporary fix for some of Woodruff Road
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:00 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,258,489 times
That second paragraph. PNG is in negotiations with Verdae Blvd. LOL. I think they meant Verdae Development.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:54 PM

126 posts, read 78,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I'm all for more roads but this will not ease congestion on Woodruff in anyway. It will open up a nice piece of Verdae land for development and develop it will. Again, I have no problem with this project but don't believe for one second Verdae will get behind this for the purpose of traffic relief. They can look at a map and clearly see this would be a homerun for them to build this road.

These "connector" roads around retail congestion areas rarely relieve traffic. They just open up more land for retail/residential development. If you want an example, look at Bower Parkway in the Harbison area of Columbia that connected Harbison Blvd with Piney Grove Rd. It was built with the promise of relieving the Harbison traffic nightmare. New retail was already being crammed onto that road before it was even completed. Now it's as bad if not worse of a gridlock than Harbison Blvd.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:31 PM

9,748 posts, read 18,922,533 times
How will it not ease congestion on Woodruff Road if it offers a new connection point? The more roads you have leading to a certain point will mean less people you have crammed onto one major corridor. Verdae owns that property also so they can build on it if they want to.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:34 PM

4,467 posts, read 4,615,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post
I'm all for more roads but this will not ease congestion on Woodruff in anyway. It will open up a nice piece of Verdae land for development and develop it will. Again, I have no problem with this project but don't believe for one second Verdae will get behind this for the purpose of traffic relief. They can look at a map and clearly see this would be a homerun for them to build this road.

These "connector" roads around retail congestion areas rarely relieve traffic. They just open up more land for retail/residential development. If you want an example, look at Bower Parkway in the Harbison area of Columbia that connected Harbison Blvd with Piney Grove Rd. It was built with the promise of relieving the Harbison traffic nightmare. New retail was already being crammed onto that road before it was even completed. Now it's as bad if not worse of a gridlock than Harbison Blvd.
If you're on Verdae or Laurens and you wanna go to Target, TJ's or Academy Sports, you will no longer have to get on Woodruff. Heck, come to think of it, you can take that road to get to Magnolia Place, because it has a traffic light right into it.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:50 PM

15,901 posts, read 13,639,310 times
The parallel connecting road will provide an alternative to Woodruff Road. It will see vehicle count.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:08 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,806,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
How will it not ease congestion on Woodruff Road if it offers a new connection point? .
I'm guessing that the Harbison connector situation was created because the retail boom spilled onto the connector road and simply extended the traffic jam. In the Greenville case, the Woodruff dogpile won't spread to the connector because the Laurens/Verdae project will attract newer retail instead of on the connector. And there will be some new development along the connector, but it will be less than the Harbison connector.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:14 PM

15,901 posts, read 13,639,310 times
The Interstate 26/Harbinson Boulevard interchange in Richland County needs a conversion to a single point urban interchange, or, most likely, a diverging diamond interchange.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:52 PM

126 posts, read 78,409 times
I don't really disagree with any of the statements you guys are making but I think my point may be misunderstood. There will be development on this road which would be counter-intuitive to relieving traffic. This road will create more traffic just like all these other connector roads that are built to relieve traffic in retail corridors. They don't relieve traffic, they create more opportunities for development which creates more traffic. There are many, many examples of this across the country. The main connector road proposed by the city and county that is still in the planning stages will most certainly be a development hotspot very quickly.

Again let me say, I'm all for development and any connector roads being built around Woodruff Rd but they will not relieve traffic. As for Verdae, I agree 100% that it's their land and they can build what they want....but that also solidifies my point about development on these connector roads.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:04 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,673,519 times
Wedge makes good points also. Some smart people wrote a paper a few years ago on "induced demand" or "induced traffic". Basically, if you build it, cars will come.

There are many articles about the paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area