Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 04:56 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in a Subdivision in the county which, like most, has covenants against parking on the street overnight...also on the board for a term.

Parking on the street is a topic that many are vocal about and one that, unfortunately, in which the subdivision has no teeth. The one thing that bothered me today was that cars are now parked on BOTH sides of the street near intersections and we do have people with heart problems etc. A fire engine or ambulance would be hard pressed to turn the corner.

Does anybody know enough about traffic laws, enforcement to see if there is another way to at least take care of it where it is a safety issue?. You can push people until you are blue in the face but if they are rude enough to do this, they are rude enough to blow you off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 06:54 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
There are laws as to how close you can park from the intersection. I think it's 30 feet?

THANK GOD HOA's CAN'T SUPERSEDE THE LAW.

Having lived in urban city environments where cars are parked on every legal square inch, I doubt that emergency vehicles will have any problems getting around Greenville suburbia.

What is the concern about parking on the street? Snow plows?

Old 08-12-2016, 07:13 AM

Actually HOAs can supersede the law as far as I know as long as they are more restrictive.
You sign documentation that you will abide with them when you buy a home.
But people have complained because there are no sidewalks and cars block vision of pedestrians by cars etc.

Neither here nor there but most of your urban environments are not these cul de sac streets.--I honestly do not see how a fire engine could get around cars parked at an intersection. My cousins are retired BCFD firefighters and they told me how they were blocked frequently from accessing fires by people and vehicles so it IS a problem.

Well I did pull from the drivers manual

It is illegal for you to stop or park your vehicle at any of the
following places--except to avoid an accident or unless directed by the
law enforcement officer or traffic control device to do so.
1. On an interstate. In case of mechanical trouble or other emergency,
stop on the right shoulder, entirely clear of moving
traffic.
2. On a sidewalk.
3. In front of a driveway or near enough to hinder the driveway use
by others.
4. Within an intersection.
5. Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
6. On a pedestrian crosswalk.
7. Within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection.
8. Within 30 feet of a signal light, stop sign or flashing beacon
on the side of the roadway.
9. Between a safety zone and the opposite curb.
10. Within 50 feet of a railroad crossing.
11. Within 20 feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station, or
within 75 feet of the curb section opposite a fire station entrance.
12. Alongside or opposite any street repair construction area, or
other obstruction, where you would hinder traffic.
13. On any bridge, elevated roadway, or in any tunnel or underpass.
14. Along a curb if it is painted yellow or some other color as a “no
parking” warning.
15. On a hill or curve, or on the open highway, unless there is clear
vision along the highway for a distance of 200 feet in each
direction.
16. Where there is a “no parking” sign.
17. Within 500 feet of a fire vehicle stopped in answer to a fire alarm.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
It is illegal for you to stop or park your vehicle at any of the following places--except to avoid an accident or unless directed by the law enforcement officer or traffic control device to do so.
4. Within an intersection.
Parking in an intersection on Woodruff Road would be a no-no. "Do not block intersection" signs are taken seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
14. Along a curb if it is painted yellow or some other color as a “no parking” warning.
16. Where there is a “no parking” sign.
17. Within 500 feet of a fire vehicle stopped in answer to a fire alarm.
Parking in a fire lane at any commercial center would be a no-no. If you need to park your car in order to go into a store and conduct business, park in a readily available parking space. Motorists who are literacy-challenged and/or colorblind should not be driving and should be seeking services of professionals.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:41 AM

94 posts, read 111,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

What is the concern about parking on the street? Snow plows?
Poor people park on the street. Better people park in driveways and garages. That is the problem.

Sounds ridiculous, but I was once "lucky" enough to have lived in a deed restricted community and actually had that brought up at an HOA meeting. Street parking was not restricted there at the time. At the meeting, a group of very snooty residents moved to ban street parking because "only those beneath us have to park on the street."

I'm not saying that is what the OPs problem with it is, but it is definitely a reason why people would have an issue

Old 08-12-2016, 08:45 AM

This is really NOT a class issue. One neighbor has had a major heart attack and my husband 2 minor ones and the proximity to a fire department was one of our selection criteria.

We do NOT have sidewalks and people have to walk in the street, children play in the street, and have frequently expressed safety concerns about the cars.

But I do not have an issue with covenants as they do help preserve property values if properly enforced. The problem is they make the way too granular and specific and the HOA often has no legal recourse to deal with a violation.

And by the way, my daughter lived in the Westwood neighborhood which is NOT upscale, NOT snooty and had a number of restrictions as well. I live in a nice neighborhood but do not consider it upscale by today's standards.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:02 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,789 times
I don't think laws like this are enforced here.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:00 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,811 times
In my neighborhood most of us do not have driveways, and with multiple cars at least one has to park on the street. Here, however, it is considered a "traffic calming" benefit and there is no HOA restriction.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:29 PM

672 posts, read 1,417,908 times
The other problem is visibility as a driver, trying to navigate around the parked cars. The worst is that many of the parking offenders park backwards, meaning the car is extremely difficult to see at night as you approach it. This is valid concern of the OP. Street parking is enforced in my neighborhood, and thankfully so. If you can't fit your vehicles in your garage and driveway, you chose the wrong property, IMHO. I know that sounds harsh...

Old 08-15-2016, 01:31 PM

Hey shamrocker! FYI my ancient computer is STILL running ok since you fixed it several years ago!!!

Anyway - how do they actually do that? Is a penalty spelled out in the covenants-our have rules but no teeth in them. No enforcement mechanism other than taking someone to court. Do they send letters (which seem futile hear for chronic offenders)?

Yes, safety -- we also have kids playing in the street and if they pop out from behind a car the won't be seen until the last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area