Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 06:27 PM

347 posts, read 979,952 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I got my first new car (yay!) and want to take it in for tint. I went to Tint Solutions after reading good reviews, and they offer 5%, 18%, 35%, and something higher, let's say 55 or thereabouts. I want my tint dark, but as we know, the SC legal limit is 27%. What do you have on your cars, and for those of you below 27, have you ever had any issues?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 08:36 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,866,470 times
My Mustang is either 18% or 20%, don't know that I would want it any darker. (But mine is just the sides.)

Wanting a 5.0 Mustang, 11-14 or is 15+ worth it?

Cant really tell from this pic, but its the only one I have right now.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:22 AM

347 posts, read 979,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
My Mustang is either 18% or 20%, don't know that I would want it any darker. (But mine is just the sides.)

Wanting a 5.0 Mustang, 11-14 or is 15+ worth it?

Cant really tell from this pic, but its the only one I have right now.
That looks great. I love the look of the 18%. So, you haven't had any ticket issues or anything with the darkness level?

Old 08-28-2016, 11:35 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,866,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
That looks great. I love the look of the 18%. So, you haven't had any ticket issues or anything with the darkness level?
No, but Ive only had the tint on for a few weeks now, but Ive never heard of anyone around here getting in trouble for too dark of tint either.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:10 PM

41 posts, read 57,237 times
I tinted my sides at I think 27% (darkest legal limit) a couple days after I got my car new. A few days later after talking to a coworker I decided to tint the windshield also, but the original place wouldn't do it so I had to go to a different place. Got the good 3M tint. The only problem I've ever had is with the tint itself, because I left my GPS suction thing on the windshield when it was about 100 degrees one day and got a few bubbles under the tint. Went back for a warranty claim and the guy said it's rare but happens sometimes.

If I were doing it again, I'd get it darker all the way around. Nobody I know has ever gotten a ticket for dark tint in SC.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:13 AM

45 posts, read 69,674 times
Actually, I was just pulled a week ago for front window tint. It's the lightest available, and an oncoming state trooper still spotted it and pulled me (only violation; no speeding, etc). Fortunately he only gave me a warning.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:44 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,228 times
In some places, like Dallas, TX for example, pulling people over for window tint is very common (especially if your skin pigment is on the darker side as well).

Tinting the front driver and/or passenger side windows is illegal there, and will get you pulled over pretty quick.

So I guess don't road trip?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 AM

17,562 posts, read 15,220,914 times
The DMV area (District/Maryland/Virginia) is bad about pulling people over for tint as well, and most, if not all, the cops carry the tint meters with them to measure the tint on windows.

No idea whether or not the laws apply to vehicles registered out of state, but.. Something to keep in mind if you might be driving through other states.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:23 AM

4,211 posts, read 6,898,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
In some places, like Dallas, TX for example, pulling people over for window tint is very common (especially if your skin pigment is on the darker side as well).

Tinting the front driver and/or passenger side windows is illegal there, and will get you pulled over pretty quick.

So I guess don't road trip?
I wouldn't know how common it is here for people to get pulled over for window tint. However, I can say that way more people have their windows tinted here in Dallas than Greenville. My car stands out because it doesn't have tinted windows here.

And as far as tinting the front driver or passenger side being illegal? Not sure where you heard that. For darkness, it is legal up to 25% on the front sides (which is a pretty common number for most states. SC is somewhere around there too) and unregulated on the back passenger side windows.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:41 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I wouldn't know how common it is here for people to get pulled over for window tint. However, I can say that way more people have their windows tinted here in Dallas than Greenville. My car stands out because it doesn't have tinted windows here.

And as far as tinting the front driver or passenger side being illegal? Not sure where you heard that. For darkness, it is legal up to 25% on the front sides (which is a pretty common number for most states. SC is somewhere around there too) and unregulated on the back passenger side windows.
So, I didn't word that well. 25% is not very tinted, and I believe one of the lowest of all the states?

You can't have a vehicle in Texas with dark tint on the front windows. I see that a lot here in SC, where you can't tell at all who is in the driver's seat because it is so dark. If you can't even make out the silhouette of the person in broad daylight, the tint is probably illegal and reason to get pulled over in TX in my experience.

I have family in Texas, and my uncle bought a car out of state and brought it in with tinted windows. He got pulled over 2X in maybe 6 months or so before he finally had it redone to the legal minimum (apparently 25%).

I lived in Texas for years (hate that place). And in Austin and Dallas, pulling people for tint was a common way to stop "suspicious" vehicles to see what the people inside were up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area