Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 05:46 PM

16 posts, read 19,345 times

Advertisements

I liken Anderson to Cortland and Greenville to Syracuse. Similar in distance too.
SC is a bit livelier than NY due strictly to climate...longer summer season.
I think you'd do well in Anderson at least at first to get to know the area then possible move to Greenville, if its not happening enough. I'd probably suggest to find a place near Anderson University to keep with the age group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 06:12 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutb View Post
Hi all!

I'm a near college graduate from Syracuse University and will possibly be moving to SC by 2017. I've been offered a job in Anderson, SC and am flying down in a few weeks for a sight visit before anything is finalized. I've been trying to decide if I want to live in Greenville and commute to Anderson, or if I want to be in Anderson and give it a shot.

I'm 21 and have a australian shepherd/golden retriever mix who'll be coming with me. I'm looking to rent (and eventually buy a house) in a decent neighborhood (nothing cookie cutter suburbia type) that has a few bars, restaurants, coffee shops, parks, etc. that I could frequent. I don't have kids (and don't plan to at least for a handful of years) so school districts don't really faze me.

I want to know what areas or neighborhoods are seen as up-and-coming or maybe places where a lot of college-aged kids rent. Also, if I'm renting a 1 or 2-bedroom house/part of a house, what should I be expecting for rent?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated! Thank you all so much, and I can't wait to hear what Anderson/Greenville have to offer!
We sure do have a lot of people (like you) who are moving here and need advice. They use a lot of parentheses (not that this is a bad thing), and they always only have 10 posts. That's not bad thing either!

You are going to love this place! SO much better than Syracuse, NY!

Old 11-21-2016, 08:28 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
The advice above is very good. Don't know if you would be happy living in Anderson; sounds like you would prefer to be where there is more going on. As WhitewaterVol said if the commute is not too far you should consider areas of Greenville.
That is the first thing that came to mind. I didn't think about Clemson but that was another good option along with Greenville.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Anderson is apart of Greenville-Spartanburg. The thread is fine here.
The city of Anderson and Anderson County are neither in the cities of Greenville and Spartanburg nor in Greenville and Spartanburg counties.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:39 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The city of Anderson and Anderson County are neither in the cities of Greenville and Spartanburg nor in Greenville and Spartanburg counties.
Dont be obtuse, CK. You know what I mean.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
That is the first thing that came to mind. I didn't think about Clemson but that was another good option along with Greenville.
Anderson leans more on the typical side city wise, but the location cant be anymore convenient. Not just with Clemson and Greenville, but with the mountains, Lake Hartwell, and Atlanta as well.

To me, if youre working in Anderson, itd make much more sense to live there too. Just not commuting back and forth can save at least 300 miles worth of gas and wear a work week.

You can easily drive up to Greenville whenever you want to have the fun you cant have in Anderson.

Yet, I'm young too, so if the OP finds Anderson to be too snoozy and wants to drive back and forth everyday, I wont blame her.

OP, add Powdersville to the list as well. I dont know what all there is to rent up there, but the location is very good for work and play.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:02 AM

214 posts, read 300,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Anderson County is absolutely considered in with the MSA as well as the CSA. In addition, the "cities" in the Greenville-Spartanburg area subforum includes Easley - which is located in Pickens and Anderson County.

Anyone wanting information on Anderson/Anderson County will have for more responses (and people actually in the area) reading than the full South Carolina forum.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
Anderson County is absolutely considered in with the MSA as well as the CSA. In addition, the "cities" in the Greenville-Spartanburg area subforum includes Easley - which is located in Pickens and Anderson County.

Anyone wanting information on Anderson/Anderson County will have for more responses (and people actually in the area) reading than the full South Carolina forum.
Metropolitan statistical areas (Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin, South Carolina) and combined statistical areas (Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, South Carolina) are different beasts than the physical location of the city of Anderson and Anderson County. (Anderson was its own metropolitan statistical area up until a few years ago.)

There are more threads of Anderson and Anderson County in the "South Carolina" forum, which covers them, than the "Greenville-Spartanburg Area" sub-forum, which does not cover them.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:30 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
I did a simple search for Anderson, SC using the CD search function shows 17 pages of questions and responces with Anderson, SC in them. Without looking at each and every post, there are more hits in this forum, than the SC forum. There may be more information in the SC forum than this one, but again, Im not looking at each and every post.

Not trying to start a war, just saying.......

Old 11-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Theres alot about Anderson in the main forum because that's where CK puts it all. Anderson news definitely has a place here, and should be here in my opinion. It doesn't matter what City data calls it, this is the Upstate thread.

Not trying to start a war either, just saying. If someone is asking about a Greenville-Anderson commute, there's no need to tell them they should look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area