Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:34 AM

604 posts, read 583,310 times

Advertisements

I hope you folks down in Simpsonville are all OK. Looks like it got pretty rough! Up in Tigerville, we got a grand total of 3" from all of this weather. Nothing violent, though, just blessed rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:29 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
The tornado hit my neighborhood. Thank goodness my house only sustained light damage, but many in my neighborhood have major damage. Looks like a war zone in one section. One house I feel may be totally destroyed, since the second floor is caved in and one whole wall is gone. Several houses lost entire walls, lots of siding torn off, many fences down, trees down.

Power is still out in that area (thankfully again, we were spared) as of 6AM this morning. (All of the neighborhoods surrounding Braisher campus seem to be out).

Braisher Middle College and Greenville Tech - Braisher is closed today.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:17 PM

387 posts, read 330,725 times
How horrible. I never really think of tornadoes around here but of course they aren't that rare. Hope everyone is safe.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:47 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown27 View Post
How horrible. I never really think of tornadoes around here but of course they aren't that rare. Hope everyone is safe.
Talking to many of my neighbors, few took the warnings seriously, since tornado's here are so rare.

You think that you would have time, like when you watch it on TV and see the tornado a mile away in a field or something....but it's not like that. It comes on you like the blink of an eye...does it's destruction...and has moved on equally as fast.

So in the future, heed the warnings if you get them.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:59 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
...Talking to many of my neighbors, few took the warnings seriously, since tornado's here are so rare...
My wife and I are from Birmingham, AL - part of "Dixie Alley" - our weather radio would routinely go off for multiple tornado warnings yearly - James Spann (local ABC weather person there) is considered a celebrity because he's broadcasting live alerts all the time!

Then, we moved to Upstate SC - no alerts for years (it's been refreshing). I texted my wife Wed evening re the tornado warning - basically, she minimized the alert. She was shocked to see the damage in Simpsonville the next day (as we've never seen anything like that in SC).

Last edited by drfranklin; 12-02-2016 at 07:42 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 07:33 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
I can only think of 4 or 5 right off the top of my head in the upstate within recent years. Seems like most of them were in odd months, like November and seems like 1 in January. I had one very close to my house, lifted the double wide off the blocks and dropped it right back down. Then it moved on closer to my house and pretty much dissipated 300 feet from my house. I remember the trees just kinda laying over and then coming right back up and the wind just dieing off very fast. Closest Ive ever been to one, and hope to never go through that again.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:50 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
I took this one seriously because of 3 things: unseasonably warm weather could unleash a huge amount of energy when clashing with cooler weather, the rotation seen in Williamson/Piedmont, and the accompanying rain front which could hide the funnel.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:57 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
Interactive map of past SC/NC tornados. Click/tap an icon for info on them.

And yes, Spann is a GrEaT asset to have!

Historic Tornado Data for the Carolinas and Northeast Georgia

Last edited by Psychoma; 12-02-2016 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-04-2016, 01:54 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Now, this is what I call rain! Hate being stuck inside, but happy to have this much needed rain. My plants are happy too. Seems it's going to be a every-other-day event for the next few days. Looks like it will be nice tomorrow, and perfect for getting some more of my plants planted in the ground!

Old 12-07-2016, 10:02 AM

477 posts, read 840,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The tornado hit my neighborhood. Thank goodness my house only sustained light damage, but many in my neighborhood have major damage. Looks like a war zone in one section. One house I feel may be totally destroyed, since the second floor is caved in and one whole wall is gone.
You are correct. That is our house and it will have to be taken down. Thankfully nobody got seriously hurt.
We have amazing friends and neighbors. We have received so much help that I don't even know where to begin to thank everyone. We do not take any of it for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area