Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:58 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times

Advertisements

Greenville is a nice city and definitely has no less than any other city in the state. Some will argue that the shopping options are best in Greenville for SC standards, and the dining options aren't bad either. I have no problem with the nightlife when I choose to go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 07:05 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
No problem with it imo, its just spread out vs concentrated, but I think thats okay since Greenville is small area wise.

Speaking of the future: by 20 years, maybe 2, Greenville will have Topgolf. And it will be awesome.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
First you complain about high rents, but now you talk about housing costs [...]
Sorry if my post sounded harsh, Clemson fan. It wasnt meant to be.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:59 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Greenville is a nice city and definitely has no less than any other city in the state. Some will argue that the shopping options are best in Greenville for SC standards, and the dining options aren't bad either. I have no problem with the nightlife when I choose to go out.
i think the majority of 'young professionals' who live here like it. i also think the majority of 'young professionals' have no problem living in the burbs because they grew up in the burbs and you get more bang for your buck on housing.

i personally like living closer to golf courses and my gym (SportsClub), a Barnes and Noble, a Best Buy, and movie theaters. and the biggest appeal of the area for many 'young professionals' is the proximity to the mountains and lakes.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-15-2016 at 09:21 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 07:59 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,475 times
Quote:
Sorry if my post sounded harsh, Clemson fan. It wasnt meant to be.
No not at all, I'm enjoying the back and forth and appreciate the exchange of viewpoints! You do raise good points about this not really being a yp mecca and agree with you completely and of course as a late twenties single post grad, that is what I would like to see here much more than a family city (though if I stick around here I imagine that tune will change when I meet someone and start a family).

To be honest, I agree there are certainly things outside of downtown that YPs can enjoy, like golfing. My whole main point really with all of this was just to show how smaller towns around the Upstate might be able to benefit from rising home prices in Greenville, especially with a YP audience rather than to say Greenville is terrible for YPs. Even without it being a mecca for them, its still a great city with much to offer overall, I don't disagree with that at all I just think there are steps we can take within the city and the region as a whole to foster that demographic a bit more because I think in terms of economic growth, you want to ensure that your region has a strong YP presence, maybe not dominated by YPs, but a strong presence of them.

As far as rental rates vs home prices, I have really been looking at both really. Supply and demand at least for rentals are about to help those prices and somewhat already have as the building boom is starting to even out so I think it will all end up working out overall.

I think you and I actually see more eye to eye on most of this than not but this has been a fun back and forth!

Old 12-16-2016, 09:45 AM

While I still don't think the home price rise is that drastic, especially compared to Charleston where it's really getting out of control (downtown Charleston is the 2nd most expensive place psf in the southeast), I do think these outer cities will benefit from the sole fact that they have more land/space.

That's for families though. As a single or taken young millennial with no kids, you don't really need land, or much of it. I lived in a townhouse in Alexandria and actually had a a good size backyard, and I don't recall ever using it lol (I wish I had a dog then i wouldve). So can central Greenville accommodate with denser space?

And I agree, while I do think Greenville has enough for it's size, it'd be great if there was a little more for the younger crowd. One issue is Clemson being far. Full of youth, but it doesn't make much sense to travel that far for entertainment when they have plenty right there around campus, or even Anderson. I ran into Sammy Watkins 3 times lol: the bowling alley, CVS, and the movie theater. He actually sat beside me. Anderson's more accessible. The distance doesn't help Greenville's market for "younger stuff." Just getting from Clemson to D&B or Frankies can take around an hour.

Downtown's biggest problem is that it's just so small. 1 square mile. Uptown Charlotte is around 4.5 to 5 square miles. Columbia is around 7+ with USC included. With such a tight squeeze, there's not too much you can fit in downtown Greenville without infilling. Best way to make cheaper prices would be to go higher, but no one wants to. So you get these 4 story, boxy urban apartments instead.

Every time a new apartment is built, demand goes up, and so does supply, but since the apartment is really not that high, supply can't go nearly as high as it should. This is actually the same exact problem San Francisco has. Who knows, maybe you'll begin to see it. Camperdown is coming, and something has to pass the Windstream building at some point right?

In order for downtown Greenville to go cheaper, it has to go higher. Just having an apartment tower the height of the Windstream building would have a ripple effect on all the units downtown. Many millenials/YP's want that urban living, but this area just doesn't have the accommodations, so you have to settle around town. Downtown is best molded for executives and people who move from up north with the money already in place. The average Greenvillian living alone can't afford a $2000 rent, let alone a $1,100, unless you want to spend over 35% of your income just on rent.

I do agree both agree more than it it looks like.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 12-16-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 10:25 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1995 View Post
Metro Greenville today is around 850k give or take. Add Spartanburg County and you get to 1.150MM. Anything beyond that is pure speculation on what will or will not be added. But, adding over 800k to these numbers in 20 years in order to approach 2MM is not realistic. Greenville and Spartanburg counties are very large in terms of land and are growing towards one another, adding more counties to the metro is tough to see. But, a 2MM metro for the upstate.....no.
I know you've been banned yet again, but you're probably lurking so I'll respond anyway.

The Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA 2015 estimated population is 1,426,625. You may have problems with the way the Census/OMB defines the CSA, but it is what it is and that is what is in view here. Now, from 2000-2010, the region gained approximately 400K people; thus, it is very reasonable to expect (outside of something major and unforeseen) the region to add 575K people within 20 years, especially with regional growth rates being higher now than they were in the previous decade.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
While I still don't think the home price rise is that drastic, especially compared to Charleston where it's really getting out of control (downtown Charleston is the 2nd most expensive place psf in the southeast), I do think these outer cities will benefit from the sole fact that they have more land/space.

That's for families though. As a single or taken young millennial with no kids, you don't really need land, or much of it. I lived in a townhouse in Alexandria and actually had a a good size backyard, and I don't recall ever using it lol (I wish I had a dog then i wouldve). So can central Greenville accommodate with denser space?

And I agree, while I do think Greenville has enough for it's size, it'd be great if there was a little more for the younger crowd. One issue is Clemson being far. Full of youth, but it doesn't make much sense to travel that far for entertainment when they have plenty right there around campus, or even Anderson. I ran into Sammy Watkins 3 times lol: the bowling alley, CVS, and the movie theater. He actually sat beside me. Anderson's more accessible. The distance doesn't help Greenville's market for "younger stuff." Just getting from Clemson to D&B or Frankies can take around an hour.

Downtown's biggest problem is that it's just so small. 1 square mile. Uptown Charlotte is around 4.5 to 5 square miles. Columbia is around 7+ with USC included. With such a tight squeeze, there's not too much you can fit in downtown Greenville without infilling. Best way to make cheaper prices would be to go higher, but no one wants to. So you get these 4 story, boxy urban apartments instead.

Every time a new apartment is built, demand goes up, and so does supply, but since the apartment is really not that high, supply can't go nearly as high as it should. This is actually the same exact problem San Francisco has. Who knows, maybe you'll begin to see it. Camperdown is coming, and something has to pass the Windstream building at some point right?

In order for downtown Greenville to go cheaper, it has to go higher. Just having an apartment tower the height of the Windstream building would have a ripple effect on all the units downtown. Many millenials/YP's want that urban living, but this area just doesn't have the accommodations, so you have to settle around town. Downtown is best molded for executives and people who move from up north with the money already in place. The average Greenvillian living alone can't afford a $2000 rent, let alone a $1,100, unless you want to spend over 35% of your income just on rent.

I do agree both agree more than it it looks like.
Over time, downtown Greenville's footprint will expand. It's inevitable.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Over time, downtown Greenville's footprint will expand. It's inevitable.
There's only so much expansion that can be done. Some of the neighborhoods around downtown likely have historic or environment protections, while other ones are too valuable to bulldoze. There is much more room in downtown Columbia and Charleston. '

There's no room in downtown Greenville to do a Bull Street or Lorelei scale development.

Greenville has to go up. Infilling is the best option and there's still plenty of room to do it.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
There's only so much expansion that can be done. Some of the neighborhoods around downtown likely have historic or environment protections, while other ones are too valuable to bulldoze. There is much more room in downtown Columbia and Charleston. '

There's no room in downtown Greenville to do a Bull Street or Lorelei scale development.

Greenville has to go up. Infilling is the best option and there's still plenty of room to do it.
Yeah it will be a combination of both. Downtown's future expansion will probably be somewhat uneven due to the historic neighborhoods in the vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area