Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:33 AM

126 posts, read 138,039 times

Advertisements

Hello Again,

I recently posted about a possible relocation with my family to the Greenville area. My spouse has a hopeful job opportunity at Clemson U. She has also applied for a position at Furman but we haven't heard anything from them. The job opportunity in Spartanburg unfortunately did not work out.

We really want to live in the Greenville area, specifically at/near Paris Mountain off of 253 as we are avid cyclists/hikers'runners and want immediate access to a outdoor/state park.

There is the conundrum...it would make a long commute to work for her everyday. I would likely be working in/near Greenville (healthcare) and would have a much shorter commute.

Who makes the Clemson commute? Is it terrible on a daily basis or not to bad? We are just trying to work out best spot to live for our needs vs commute time and appreciate any insight so suggestions are welcome.

We still plan to come down right after xmas and maybe sooner depending on her interview.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 10:42 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Clemson has a large research forest with numerous bike trails. this is actually probably better than the Paris Mountain trails. It is also close to mountains, whitewater river, waterfalls, and pristine lakes. Clemson itself is right on a lake and i go over there a lot to walk on the di-kes next to the lake. lot of runners out there. if you have a dog , this is a good place to go b/c there is a fence on one side and a lake on the other so they can run free safely.

i would recommend living in Clemson, Seneca or north Anderson if working at Clemson. if you get a job in Greenville, then north Anderson or Powdersville / Easley is a good halfway point.

it is about a 50 minute commute between the Clemson and Gville. the most stressfree way is to take I-85 from Greenville and exit onto highway 76 (Anderson Highway), a 4 lane state highway with not a lot of lights. it is about 12 miles or so down 76 .

you can also take highway 123, a more direct route, but it runs through Easley with a lot of lights. Easley / Powdersville and north Anderson are about 20 minutes from CU.

both Anderson and Seneca have good hospitals. the one in Seneca is now associated with Greenville's hospital.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:47 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Pryde1, South Carolina Highway 253 (State Park Road/East Mountain Creek Road) is not a bad area. Would you consider Half Mile Lake and Pebble Creek to be within close distance of Paris Mountain?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:55 AM

here's some info on outdoor stuff around Clemson

Attractions near Clemson, SC – VISIT CLEMSON

Old 12-05-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Pryde1, South Carolina Highway 253 (State Park Road/East Mountain Creek Road) is not a bad area. Would you consider Half Mile Lake and Pebble Creek to be within close distance of Paris Mountain?
Yes Half-Mile Lake is exactly the area we are looking at...just a short bike ride to Paris Mtn.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
here's some info on outdoor stuff around Clemson

Attractions near Clemson, SC – VISIT CLEMSON
Thank you. I will have a look. The other issue is making sure our 2 junior-high kids are entertained. We don't want to be too rural for this reason that is why we have not considered living in Clemson

EDIT: Can you tell me why the Clemson experimental forest trails are better than Paris Mtn? I see it is larger but I like good climbs and descents.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:37 AM

i've only actually been out there once to ride with friend. it had a lot of ups and downs, and I believe it has more trails. it was way too tough for me as a novice rider. i flipped up over my bike when i hit a root riding down a hill and it landed on me.. that ended my mountain biking interest for life.

i would think it is at least as good as Paris Mountain state park.

if your kids love college sports and outdoor stuff, it doesn't get better than Clemson in my view.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i've only actually been out there once to ride with friend. it had a lot of ups and downs, and I believe it has more trails. it was way too tough for me as a novice rider. i flipped up over my bike when i hit a root riding down a hill and it landed on me.. that ended my mountain biking interest for life.

i would think it is at least as good as Paris Mountain state park.

if your kids love college sports and outdoor stuff, it doesn't get better than Clemson in my view.
Sorry bout the bike crash...been there and done that many times It looks like the trails there are intermediate level for the most part (rolling with occasional roots/rocks, etc.) but there is a lot of them (17,000 acres).

I would mostly be riding Dupont or Pisgah on the weekends so that would give me all the climbing and technical riding I need.

We really like the idea of riding/walking to a trail from our house but not sure how possible that would be there. We will definitely be checking out the Clemson area for a living spot also but we "think" we would like that half-mile lake neighborhood close to Paris Mtn (sans the commute)

Old 12-05-2016, 03:24 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde1 View Post
Thank you. I will have a look. The other issue is making sure our 2 junior-high kids are entertained. We don't want to be too rural for this reason that is why we have not considered living in Clemson

EDIT: Can you tell me why the Clemson experimental forest trails are better than Paris Mtn? I see it is larger but I like good climbs and descents.
The commute from Half Mile Lake to Clemson would be pretty unbearable for most people. The road from the Northern Part of Greenville over to Easley is choked with redlights. After Easley it's a straight shot to Clemson on a freeway but it's still another 20 miles. I'm guessing over an hour each way.

There are a lot of families of professors that live in Clemson and have kids. The high school serving Clemson (Daniel High School) is very good. Clemson is a small town but being a college town, there is a lot of stuff to do. I don't think I would be worried about my kids getting bored.

The trails out at Fantt Grove are mostly old logging roads. There is some elevation change but not a ton. There are however, some more exciting mountain biking trails out at Isaqueenah, which is also managed by Clemson and close to town. There is also a pretty intense mountain biking park nearby in Pickens at Town Creek Park.

Look at the Clemson section here (this is the upstate mountain biking nut hub):
Local Trails | Upstate SORBA

If you want a compromise between Greenville and Clemson, you could live in Powdersville which also has good schools. It's about 30 minutes to Clemson and 20 or so to the main GHS campus depending on where you are. We live in Powdersville and I have several neighbors that are avid mountain bikers. They do a fair amount of riding after work during daylight savings time (often see them pulling into the driveway near dark with bikes on racks while I'm working in the yard). They seem to ride on the weekends most of the year. Issaqueenah and DuPont are the places they most often talk about.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The commute from Half Mile Lake to Clemson would be pretty unbearable for most people. The road from the Northern Part of Greenville over to Easley is choked with redlights. After Easley it's a straight shot to Clemson on a freeway but it's still another 20 miles. I'm guessing over an hour each way.

There are a lot of families of professors that live in Clemson and have kids. The high school serving Clemson (Daniel High School) is very good. Clemson is a small town but being a college town, there is a lot of stuff to do. I don't think I would be worried about my kids getting bored.

The trails out at Fantt Grove are mostly old logging roads. There is some elevation change but not a ton. There are however, some more exciting mountain biking trails out at Isaqueenah, which is also managed by Clemson and close to town. There is also a pretty intense mountain biking park nearby in Pickens at Town Creek Park.

Look at the Clemson section here (this is the upstate mountain biking nut hub):
Local Trails | Upstate SORBA

If you want a compromise between Greenville and Clemson, you could live in Powdersville which also has good schools. It's about 30 minutes to Clemson and 20 or so to the main GHS campus depending on where you are. We live in Powdersville and I have several neighbors that are avid mountain bikers. They do a fair amount of riding after work during daylight savings time (often see them pulling into the driveway near dark with bikes on racks while I'm working in the yard). They seem to ride on the weekends most of the year. Issaqueenah and DuPont are the places they most often talk about.
Very helpful information, we really appreciate this. I am certain we will look at the Powdersville area as well as I have heard it recommended often here on the forum. Are there any local parks/wooded green space in Powdersville? I am not really seeing anything on the maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area