Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 AM

12 posts, read 19,116 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed the new utility poles going up that have a large round antenna (I think it is an antenna) that looks like the picture I have attached? The only thing I have been able to find is they may be DAS (Distributed Antenna System) for a cell company. Does anyone have any information on this? They are being put up quickly. There are several along Woodruff Rd and a couple in Mauldin that I have noticed.
Trey
Attached Thumbnails
Antenna installations in Greenville-das.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 AM

387 posts, read 330,988 times
You may be right but that looks like a transformer to me.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:58 PM

42 posts, read 54,375 times
Its an antenna all right............. like the OP said, its part of a cell system Distributed Antenna System (DAS)

Old 01-10-2017, 05:10 PM

387 posts, read 330,988 times
I stand corrected! Definitely looks like a smaller version of the barrel transformers in my neighborhood. But very interesting to learn about a new kind of cell antenna. Is this for regular cell service or a fixed wireless data service? I can't remember the name of the company but a few years ago there was a company marketing wireless over the Sprint network as an alternative to a home isp.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:07 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,627,818 times
Was curious and did a quick google search on DAS which brought up DAS and C-RAN networks...saw a couple places mention Verizon C-RAN expansion, and found this cached list on the web for Verizon...don't know if it's this system or not tho:
Enhanced coverage on Maudlin Rd., Ridge Rd., W. Butler Rd., and Main Street.

Enhanced coverage along Piedmont Hwy, Bessie Rd., and SR86 near Piedmont.

Enhanced coverage on Cedar Lane Road, W. Blue Ridge Drive, and Saluda DamRoad.

Enhanced coverage on Locust Hill Rd., Mountain View Rd., and Jackson GroveRoad.

Enhanced coverage in the rural area west of US25 north of Farris Bridge Rd.

Enhanced coverage on I-385 exits 29 to 26 and Harrison Bridge Rd.

Enhanced I-385 exits 24 to 22 and SR418.

Enhanced coverage on SR 14 and Taylor Rd.

Enhanced coverage on US29, US123, and Hampton Ave.

Enhanced coverage on State Park Rd., Piedmont Park Rd., and Rutherford Rd.

Enhanced coverage between Haywood-Howell Road and I-385 from exit 39 to 40.

Enhanced coverage on I-85 between exits 44 and 46, Augusta Street, PleasantburgDrive.

Enhanced coverage on SR101, Fews Chapel Rd., and Jordan Road.

Enhanced coverage on Fork Shoals Rd., Garrison Rd., and W. Georgia Rd

Enhanced coverage on J.Vern Smith Highway and Woodfield Drive.

Enhanced coverage on I-85 between BWM Plant and Highway 290.

Enhanced coverage on Highway 25B and SR 291 in north Greenville area.

Enhanced coverage on Woodruff Rd around Rocky Slope Rd area.

Enhanced coverage on S Batesville Rd area north of I-85.

Enhanced coverage on Highway 29 and Edwards Mill Rd area.

Enhanced coverage on I-385 and Downtown Greenville area.

Enhanced coverage on Highway 81, Anderson Rd, in the White Horse area.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:06 AM

9,497 posts, read 9,812,678 times
More info: https://www.scribd.com/document/2881...South-Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area