Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I assume it was grass-fed; back when I bought meat i only used grassfed, and I would buy it at Earthfare on sale. That's probably on okay price for that kind of meat.
Agree completely, and that's a decent price. We usually pay about $20 lb at Whole Foods for grassfed rib eye, and about $22 for dry aged. Grading can make a big difference as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 01:38 PM

308 posts, read 269,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastermaster83 View Post
I know one is going on woodruff rd just down the street from Aldi.
Curious if you now exactly where. I didn't think there was any vacant land left that wasn't already spoken for along most of Woodruff.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,005,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
Curious if you now exactly where. I didn't think there was any vacant land left that wasn't already spoken for along most of Woodruff.
Between BI-LO and Goodwill tucked in the corner there from what I understand.

BTW, there is a fairly good sized commercial trac between Hobby Lobby and back of Walmart (part of the Hobby Lobby shopping center) that has shockingly not been developed yet. There is a few sleepers in that stretch.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
We stopped in on Friday. Didn't have time to look at everything. I bought some produce and it was fresh and reasonably priced. Very nice store. It's bigger than Aldi. It definitely is competition for Aldi. Aldi is giving out $5 coupons now and I know why Aldi is my go to store but next time I might try Lidl for my next trip.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Went there about 9 AM today; it was crowded but not unmanageable. Nice bright store. Produce prices were the same at at Aldi except fr sale items such as pineapples for $.89. Huge selections of meat, cheese, and wine. Nice bakery. They carry some name brand items as well as their own, which are cheaper. Great selection of chocolate, as well! You dont need a quarter for the cart and they bag for you. For me it is out of the way and not worth driving to.
I agree. Sampled their "Product of Germany" chocolate private label versions of M&M's, Kit Kats and Twix today. Very good.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:10 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,175,541 times
Friend is in from ATL and we went to Lidl this evening.

It was impressive when we walked in. The fresh bakery was nice with an interesting array of baked goods. The Everything Bagel looked good, was 65 cents, as other items did. From there, it was evident that the store has been very busy as there are quite a few areas that have empty shelves.

There is a refrigerated meat display that was totally empty and shut down. I asked about it when I was checking out. Was told they were having trouble with it, so they moved the meats to another area for now. What was missing from the area it went to temporarily, I don't know.

As mentioned, the area where they have chocolate, that area was impressive, I like chocolate, I bought chocolate.

There are a lot of unusual non-food related items...I bought a solar charger for my phone for $14.99

Produce looked good. Most prices were inline with Aldis' I think. The signage needed a little tweaking. Pineapples were priced when we walked in in the little entrance way at $1.99, but inside the store where the produce was the sale price was .89, yet there were no pineapples in the store.

Overall, the store is bigger than Aldi's, not just by 1 aisle, but the length of all the aisles are longer. The store is nice and bright. As mentioned, no charge for carts, BUT, you do have to bring your own bags and bag your own items. They only provided bags and bagging for the 3 opening days.

I think they resemble Aldi's and maybe Sprouts (was recently at one in ATL). They have more gourmet items than Aldi's, I think.

I'm use to Aldi's...I go in and know what I buy on a weekly basis, and where everything is. It's closer to my home. As mentioned before, I will be an occasional customer, it's just too far. I did manage to buy stuff, I always find stuff to buy, but nothing exciting.
Attached Thumbnails
Lidl Wade Hampton opening date?-20170620_202000.jpg   Lidl Wade Hampton opening date?-20170620_195719.jpg  

Old 06-21-2017, 05:35 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,250 times
I'm with you, Eldermila! Since I buy mostly produce anyway and Aldi is much closer to my home I will continue to shoo there. If I am in the area, I can see stopping into Lidl for the baked goods. (I get my chocolate at Deal Mart!)

Old 06-21-2017, 06:00 AM

For some reason certain aspects of the store like the price signage and the nonrelated food items the way they are displayed reminds me of Ikea a little. The person with me said the same thing.

Wonder if Aldi drops the charge for the carts as more of these stores are added? Not that big of a deal but it is aggravating if you can't find a quarter and unappealing to a lot of customers. I am usually digging for one in my car if I go to Aldi's.

I read limited assortment grocers like Aldi and Lidl can be unappealing overall to many people because people are stuck on national brands and they will return to the traditional supermarkets which makes sense. I like trying private label store brands at different grocers and enjoy the savings.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:19 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,175,541 times
Quote:
I'm with you, Eldermila! Since I buy mostly produce anyway and Aldi is much closer to my home I will continue to shoo there. If I am in the area, I can see stopping into Lidl for the baked goods. (I get my chocolate at Deal Mart!)
I just looked at the ad that starts tommorrow and thought the exact same thing, it has an IKEA feel to it. I hadn't seen their ad before now.

Wanted to mention their hours are 8am-9pm which is an hour before Aldis opens and an hour after Aldi closes.

I forgot to ask if there is a way to call the store if you need to check to see if something is in stock, that's something you cannot do with Aldis.
Another friend wants to go check out the store today so I will suggest the Spartanburg store.

BTW, the honey mangos they have for .39 were delicious! The items they have actually that are a sale price is good. There is definitely some good savings, especially if you shop for a family.

I've attached a pic of the 2 chocolate bars I settled on. I should have taken a pic of this bag of candy that sounded so un-appealing...will try to remember if I do actually go back today.

I think some of the gourmet foods won't be items that fly off the shelf. Jarred anchovies, extra long pasta, lots of cured meats like prosciutti. Tons of cheeses I've never heard of.

Go when you have time to really look. We didn't do that last night, and I'm sure missed a lot. Its a new store we are all not use to, new products, new layout, new concept, it will take a couple trips to find your favorites, as it took me at Aldis when they first opened. I'm in and out of Aldis like a Ninja. I'm a creature of habit and basically buy the same stuff every time if in stock, that is.

And like BigRedBeth says, Aldis is closer...build a Lidl near me, I'll shop there too!
Attached Thumbnails
Lidl Wade Hampton opening date?-img_20170621_101107.jpg  

Old 06-21-2017, 08:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Wonder if Aldi drops the charge for the carts as more of these stores are added? Not that big of a deal but it is aggravating if you can't find a quarter and unappealing to a lot of customers. I am usually digging for one in my car if I go to Aldi's.
I rather pay a quarter to use a cart when I shop rather than spend more in costs because other customers take carts away from a grocery store thinking they come with their purchases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area