Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times

Advertisements

there aren't that many pines in the Greenville / Upstate areas compared to the central and eastern areas of the Carolinas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 01:20 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,288,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZug View Post
How about bugs ? How long is mosquito season ?
I got my first mosquito bite the first week of March this year but it was warm very early this year. Right after that we had several nights of hard freezes and I haven't seen another mosquito yet but I imagine they'll be back out soon.

They normally come out in mid to late March and then tend to hang around until our first frost sometime in late October.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:20 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
there aren't that many pines in the Greenville / Upstate areas compared to the central and eastern areas of the Carolinas.
Art123 wrote:

Quote:
Today the pollen counts are high in pine, cedar and maple
Whether or not it's primarily pine or a mix, he seems to be saying tree pollen is a problem in the upstate.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:14 AM

19 posts, read 23,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I got my first mosquito bite the first week of March this year but it was warm very early this year. Right after that we had several nights of hard freezes and I haven't seen another mosquito yet but I imagine they'll be back out soon.

They normally come out in mid to late March and then tend to hang around until our first frost sometime in late October.
Wow that is early and long :-( I am planning to move here with horses, that is why it is an important issue for me, so during daytime it is ok I suppose ? Any other biting species ? Thanks

Old 04-13-2017, 05:51 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,250 times
I have found, after living here for 3 years, that mosquitos are a lot less of a problem here than they are in the Raleigh, NC area. My son and I do like to take walks in the evening, and then I do get a few bites, but not that many.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 AM

120 posts, read 129,364 times
If you keep windows open do the mosquitos get in the house? Or is the window screen enough to keep them out?

Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,288,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityb1 View Post
If you keep windows open do the mosquitos get in the house? Or is the window screen enough to keep them out?
They have only ever gotten in my house through the doors being open; screens are pretty effective at keeping them out.

After the hard freezes knocked them back, the mosquitoes are back. I got bitten yesterday and had one that got inside my car that I killed this morning. Time to break out the bug spray. Glad I found the lemon eucalyptus spray a couple of years ago. It works pretty well without the foul DEET aroma.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:25 AM

120 posts, read 129,364 times
Thank you. I was getting so excited reading about being outdoors a lot once I move there. Never thought of mosquitoes as they are not a problem where I live now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
They have only ever gotten in my house through the doors being open; screens are pretty effective at keeping them out.

After the hard freezes knocked them back, the mosquitoes are back. I got bitten yesterday and had one that got inside my car that I killed this morning. Time to break out the bug spray. Glad I found the lemon eucalyptus spray a couple of years ago. It works pretty well without the foul DEET aroma.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:45 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
The no-see-ums are another biting insect here.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:25 AM

334 posts, read 625,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZug View Post
Wow that is early and long :-( I am planning to move here with horses, that is why it is an important issue for me, so during daytime it is ok I suppose ? Any other biting species ? Thanks
mossies are everywhere is this country. there is no getting away from them. The worst place I've experienced that was in Alaska denali park, believe it or not... they were swarming . seriously, you couldn't stand to go outside without a net hat on long sleeves and pants in the 80's that's uncomfortable. LOL
Like everywhere, Mosquito population depends on the rainfall of any given year. The more standing water, or lakes, the more mosquitoes.
The only place I've never had an issue was Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area