Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:05 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Not sure what you mean. Charleston didn't have any legal right to kick them off and didn't. The protestors were allowed to remain on site. It wasn't until after the SEWE festival that the city passed an ordinance to stop the flag from being flown on top of the city garages. Greenville has no such an ordinance in place at this time so these protestors weren't breaking any laws.
Okay, my bad. I thought I had heard the city was able to kick them off because it was private property. I got it confused with them passing the ordinance after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I just rode by the arena, and I did not see any protesters or any Confederate flags. There are media people on twitter blowing it out of proportion. This topic is supposed about the college basketball tournament.
You didn't see any people when you rode by because they left, though they said they'd be back. If the topic is about basketball then don't drag the media into it.

I don't care about Twitter, though I saw nothing blown out of proportion there either. The major news sites, who receive the flack, have reported this fairly and haven't tried smearing Greenville. Just reporting what's been going on. How about actually put some flack on the "protesters" since they're the ones, you know, drawing attention.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:15 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
How do you know protesters 'said they'd be back'? I don't think they told the media this.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:17 PM

" Citing safety issues, Greenville Police made the truck move back 50 feet from where it was parked. There has been no indication that the group was made to remove the flag. Police did force one group waving flags to leave because metal poles don’t comply with Greenville city ordinance.

The group allegedly left before telling police “they’ll be back.”

Okay "allegedly" if that makes you feel better.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:18 PM

Ok. But as you concede, it was a small group. it doesn't appear they are shutting down the roads or using bullhorns like BLM did a few months ago.

Upthread, people were talking about this is something we should be 'worried' about compared to the condition of the floor.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:20 PM

Not surprised in South Carolina as that who this group represents, after all. I didn't say the "Greenville Flag Party", relax. I'm not surprised some people in the state won't let it go. And I'm not the only one.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM

Ok. hopefully this topic can get back to the basketball tournament

in my opinion, a small group of non-violent protesters is not news. who cares.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok. hopefully this topic can get back to basketball.

in my opinion, a small group of non-violent protesters is not news. who cares.
It's only news because of our recent history. The flag came down only 2 years ago and when we finally get games back, it pops up again. You may not care, but it really shouldn't be surprising in the slightest that it's news. If you don't want it to be news, tell the protesters to stop drawing attention.

North Carolina teams playing here with their recent issues just adds to the spotlight as well. After all, that plus the flag removal strengthened Greenville's case for the games.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 PM

i don't think most people in Greenville and SC support males being allowed into female restrooms and locker rooms.

It was silly and rather humorous for NCAA to move the games to Greenville if this is their core value.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-19-2017 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM

I was literally just stating that NC venues being barred + the 15 year ban being lifted helped Greenville make a case. Relax...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area