U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 06:44 PM

25 posts, read 20,990 times

Advertisements

We just moved into our new build home in TR and am looking for anyone that has a need to pare down their Hosta plants... I would love to plant them here, as our yard in IL was filled with them, and since I am not a big gardener, they are an easy plant to keep alive! So if anyone has some to give away, I will take them off your hands!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 08:40 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,545,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddfd View Post
We just moved into our new build home in TR and am looking for anyone that has a need to pare down their Hosta plants... I would love to plant them here, as our yard in IL was filled with them, and since I am not a big gardener, they are an easy plant to keep alive! So if anyone has some to give away, I will take them off your hands!
I have a lot of hosta, but none are at the point that they could be divided, that's years down the line. Plus, I have just one of everything. I've lost a few over this past year - some due to the dry summer we had last year. Mine are still coming up.

Daylily's are another plant that thrive here. There are a lot of hostas you can buy cheaply, locally - big box stores and even nurseries - especially Plemmons, they have a lot of hosta very cheap. You may want to post on a local garden site, or Craiglist on the wanted page that you're looking for some. There are some people selling hosta on CL cheaply.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:47 PM

25 posts, read 20,990 times
Thanks! Great ideas!!

Old 05-05-2017, 09:41 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,252,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
2017 PIEDMONT SPRING PLANT & FLOWER FESTIVAL - Greenville State Farmers Market, 1354 Rutherford Road, Greenville, SC

5/4/2017 - 5/7/2017 | Thursday – Saturday 8:00 am – 6:00 pm - Sunday 10:00 am – 4:00 pm

We usually go to this and then hit the Asheville Herb Festival, which is always the same day.
They had some nice plants there yesterday. There was a vendor inside (Shady Characters) with great prices on shade plants. He had an awesome selection of Heucheras. His selection of ferns and hostas was a bit more limited but he still had some good selections of those at very reasonable prices.

There is another bigger vendor there that has a good selection but their prices were pretty high compared to other options.

Lots of smaller vendors with a wide mix of vegetables, annuals, natives, and sun and shade perennials and shrubs.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:46 AM

790 posts, read 339,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Grrrreat idea for a discussion!

My Hydrangeas stopped blooming last year.. They were fine through the spring and early summer, but then... nope. The leaves were green and healthy looking, but no blooms. Hoping this year will be different though because I mixed some cow manure into the dirt. (edit: I have no idea though and am wide open for suggestions)

If that don't work them I'm sure I'll be back here begging for help lol.
Ok, still no blooms.. I did prune them, however. I read somewhere to get the soil tested, so does anybody know where I can get that done at?

Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Ok, still no blooms.. I did prune them, however. I read somewhere to get the soil tested, so does anybody know where I can get that done at?
You can pick up a kit at the county extension office or order one from Clemson. Detailed instructions here: HGIC 1652 Soil Testing : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

What kind of hydrangeas? The mid-March freeze we had after the abnormally warm winter weather likely zapped the blooms on hydrangeas that bloom on old wood.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:41 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,545,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
They had some nice plants there yesterday. There was a vendor inside (Shady Characters) with great prices on shade plants. He had an awesome selection of Heucheras. His selection of ferns and hostas was a bit more limited but he still had some good selections of those at very reasonable prices.

There is another bigger vendor there that has a good selection but their prices were pretty high compared to other options.

Lots of smaller vendors with a wide mix of vegetables, annuals, natives, and sun and shade perennials and shrubs.
I was there today. I was disappointed, to say the least I've been going to this show twice a year for the past 6 years. There were less vendors than in past seasons. Usually the inside is packed, and the entire outside has vendors. There was only 2 new vendors, 1 being a guy I buy garden art from in Hendersonville at the Garden Jubilee, and one other guy with some hyperturfa planters.

Greenpond is always there, you can find their plants there all the time. Shady Characters out of Aiken does have some good coral bells/hueucheras, something I do have a lot of. I bought 3 I didn't have, and a cute little hosta. I always buy something from them.

I also get some tomatoes from Rodger's Heirloom Tomatoes from Little Mtn. We've gone to their Tomato Festival for the last 3 years (July 22nd this year). Everyone is encouraged to bring tomatoes for everyone to try, which is nice to have the chance to try new varieties. Rodger has a great selection of dwarf tomato varieties.

Other than those 2 vendors who I always buy from, I nothing else was interesting, for me, at least. At the time we went, about 9am, there were very few people. Could easily have been too early, and weather related.

From there we headed up to Asheville to the Asheville Herb Festival - that was packed! This is a show I go to every year. It's so interesting to see so many different and unusual plants. It's not just herbs, lots of tomatoes, peppers and other veggies. Picked up 4 plants, 3 unusual melons and a Red Greek Sweet squash I've grown for the past 2 years. I highly recommend this show, which goes through the weekend. Visit Jesse Israel Nursery which is right there, along with the farmers market.

We stopped at BB Barnes on the way home. Expensive, but a selection like no one else around. I always like to see what they have, but hit the half price area. I usually try to go there to buy end of season plants in October - when they do a deep discount. Have gotten great plants there.

I will be planting the last of my veggie garden tomorrow, hopefully. If I can somehow keep the squirrels, rabbits and cats out of my garden, I'll be happy - and I will wish a better season than last year - need some decent and frequent rain.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:17 AM

123 posts, read 57,620 times
I planted a nice bed of hosta that did wonderfully- for one year! Most of them failed to come back- I was advised that maybe voles ate them during the winter? I have 7 acres of shade, so I'd like to find something that does well in shade. Oddly enough, we have no trouble with deer.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:31 AM

790 posts, read 339,865 times
Quote:
You can pick up a kit at the county extension office or order one from Clemson. Detailed instructions here: HGIC 1652 Soil Testing : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

What kind of hydrangeas? The mid-March freeze we had after the abnormally warm winter weather likely zapped the blooms on hydrangeas that bloom on old wood.
Crap, I was afraid somebody would ask what kind lol. I honestly have no idea..

But last spring they started out good, but by mid-summer they stopped blooming.. I fertilized and hoped they'd come back this year, but no luck. I'll check out that kit though - thanks!

Old 05-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
It's listed as Sunday May 7 at 4-6 PM. Location is Swamp Rabbit Cafe and Grocery. 205 Cedar Lane Rd, Greenville, SC.

It sounds like it's open to whoever shows up. My yard is all shade so I'm lucky to find a spot for a couple of tomato plants. I'm hoping it's not all vegetables but it's worth a drive over there to find out.
Did anyone in here go to the Upstate Permaculture plant swap last Sunday? We ended up losing track of time doing something else and I missed it. Curious if it was worth trying to make this in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area