U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 01:18 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,029,567 times

Advertisements

Thought it would be a good idea to do an updated thread for those who garden.

If you are searching (or can recommend a place) for mulch, manure, compost, plants, nurseries, local plant sales, local plant/weed ID, or anything else pertaining to gardening in the Upstate, please post them here.

Best of luck to all those who garden this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 01:28 PM

The gal I usually get my horse manure from hasn't been available when I have use of a truck so had to go elsewhere, before it gets too late (and too hot) to put plants in. Ended up going a little ways, up to Lake Cooley Farm and Garden. Nice rich black leaf compost with chicken manure and lime already added in.

They are starting to get in plants. A hosta variety named Vulcan managed to come home with me as well. Seems I lost a few in my garden this year.

If anyone knows of a place that has bearded iris, please let me know. Not the bagged ones.

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2017, 01:31 PM

183 posts, read 253,825 times
Greenbrier plant sale tomorrow. Pricey, but all organic and high quality. Starts at 9, and pickings get slim by 11am.

Annual Plant Sale - Greenbrier Farms

Old 04-14-2017, 02:49 PM

912 posts, read 422,936 times
Grrrreat idea for a discussion!

My Hydrangeas stopped blooming last year.. They were fine through the spring and early summer, but then... nope. The leaves were green and healthy looking, but no blooms. Hoping this year will be different though because I mixed some cow manure into the dirt. (edit: I have no idea though and am wide open for suggestions)

If that don't work them I'm sure I'll be back here begging for help lol.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:53 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,321,557 times
If you are interested in gardening with native plants, then you will want to check out the SC Native Plant Sosciety sale next Saturday, the 22nd, at Lake Conestee:Upstate - South Carolina Native Plant Society

Old 04-14-2017, 07:37 PM

Did anyone go to the sale at Clemson last week?? It looks like they had a ton of wonderful plants. I missed it. There's a second chance sale. I'm thinking of going and making a day of it.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
If you are interested in gardening with native plants, then you will want to check out the SC Native Plant Sosciety sale next Saturday, the 22nd, at Lake Conestee:Upstate - South Carolina Native Plant Society
Thanks for posting, a reminder for me. Will have to check out their offerings this year.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:49 PM

2017 PIEDMONT SPRING PLANT & FLOWER FESTIVAL - Greenville State Farmers Market, 1354 Rutherford Road, Greenville, SC

5/4/2017 - 5/7/2017 | Thursday – Saturday 8:00 am – 6:00 pm - Sunday 10:00 am – 4:00 pm

We usually go to this and then hit the Asheville Herb Festival, which is always the same day.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Grrrreat idea for a discussion!

My Hydrangeas stopped blooming last year.. They were fine through the spring and early summer, but then... nope. The leaves were green and healthy looking, but no blooms. Hoping this year will be different though because I mixed some cow manure into the dirt. (edit: I have no idea though and am wide open for suggestions)

If that don't work them I'm sure I'll be back here begging for help lol.
Have you put any type of fertilizer on them? Did you prune them at all?

Do you know what variety you have?

This article may help:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...t-blooming.htm

Old 04-15-2017, 07:12 AM

912 posts, read 422,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Have you put any type of fertilizer on them? Did you prune them at all?
Other than cow manure, no.. And I didn't prune them. I'll check out the article though - thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area