Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 01:30 AM

105 posts, read 101,662 times

Advertisements

Hey all -

I'm collecting data about interest in rail transportation in Greenville county - including either commuter rail or light rail. 130,000 commuters come in to Greenville county for jobs daily, and with a county population of now over half a million and a metro population approaching 1 million, it's a good conversation to have.

I'll be bringing results to the county and cities and will follow up with my tabulation here.

Of note: This primarily focuses on the Southern half of the county for two reasons:

1. Higher commuter traffic from the Southeast
2. Potentially existing corridor

So, Please help out and take the survey specific to your residence area! Thank you!

* FOUNTAIN INN: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/X9LRC8Y
* SIMPSONVILLE: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NZ87CDJ
* MAULDIN: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NZCGHTM
* GREENVILLE: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NZJ3N6Z

This is also being shared through various Facebook groups as well as on Reddit to collect the most statistically neutral data possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 06:22 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,071 times
I took the survey for Simpsonville.. Think its a great idea.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:04 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Done. Just curious how feasible this is.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Thank you - the goal here of the first line is to keep costs minimized, increasing feasibility. Hence using an existing rail line with existing right of way

Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
Its not.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Its not.
I disagree, personally. Data shows over 60,000 commuters come in from the southeast to Greenville county daily, so a park & ride setup plus resident volume would bump it up. The county did one feasibility study already, and estimated approximately 2400 riders per day at 2009 population levels - which have significantly increased.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:44 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn56 View Post
I disagree, personally. Data shows over 60,000 commuters come in from the southeast to Greenville county daily, so a park & ride setup plus resident volume would bump it up. The county did one feasibility study already, and estimated approximately 2400 riders per day at 2009 population levels - which have significantly increased.
I think the commuters are there. Traffic has gotten very busy on 385 during rush hour. Backs up daily during the week at different spots.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I think the commuters are there. Traffic has gotten very busy on 385 during rush hour. Backs up daily during the week at different spots.
Here's Greenville's commuter profile from 2011 - and it of course has grown since.

https://lmi.dew.sc.gov/lmi%20site/Do...Greenville.pdf

See how big the inbound commuters from the Southeast are

Old 04-15-2017, 02:34 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn56 View Post
This "idea" has been beat to death over the last 25 - 30 years, although varying in forms. What was Greenville County spent, half a million, on a study a couple of years ago on the feasibility of alternative transportation, in specific a monorail type system. Not to mention your talking about using existing rail systems, that the county doesn't own, unless theres some deal with the railroad I don't know about. I'm not knocking the idea by any means, I'm just saying it probably wont happen in our lifetime. Good luck though with this project.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
This "idea" has been beat to death over the last 25 - 30 years, although varying in forms. What was Greenville County spent, half a million, on a study a couple of years ago on the feasibility of alternative transportation, in specific a monorail type system. Not to mention your talking about using existing rail systems, that the county doesn't own, unless theres some deal with the railroad I don't know about. I'm not knocking the idea by any means, I'm just saying it probably wont happen in our lifetime. Good luck though with this project.
I was actually a part of the podcar feasibility project, and no county funds were spent on that. The goal here would be to use existing lines and refurbishment to keep cost as low as possible. The most recent study the County actually paid for and commissioned gave an initial estimate of 2400 riders per day for this specific line, increasing significantly as transit oriented development was invested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area