U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 06:12 PM

3,058 posts, read 931,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Outline of the impact of the bill:
I've never understood the flat cap on sales tax on a car. It means someone buying a new Ferrari pays the same tax as someone buying a new Nissan Sentra. I think it would make more sense for that tax to be at a reduced rate without a cap. If it's really intended to offset the wear caused by the car on the road, it would probably make even more sense to base it on the weight of the vehicle.

The electric and hybrid vehicle tax seems odd as well. Most of those cars are lightweight vehicles that cause very little wear on the roads. We should be encouraging people to buy these types of cars, not adding a surcharge on them.

NC had the out of state vehicle fee set the same as their new car tax rate when we moved there 15 years ago. Cost me several hundred dollars per car and felt very unwelcoming as a new resident.

The income tax rebate seems particularly odd. Why not just do a smaller increase to the gas tax without adding more complexity to the state tax code? Is this intended to shift the tax burden to out of state drivers buying gas in SC?

The increase "sunsets" at the end of the 6 year period by default. That means this entire issue will again have to be debated at the end of 6 years, which seems like a huge mistake. I am glad they abandoned the idea of automatically adjusting the tax with inflation the way NC does. Taxes that automatically increase without legislative input are a bad idea.
Even Washington is starting to tax electric cars. Electric cars typically carry a lot of battery weight and currently pay nothing toward the roads they use. Increased fuel efficiency in general is bad for road funding so perhaps another funding method should be approached sometime soon.

The shift of tax s to out of state drivers is a good one. Currently 95 is terrible but doesn't really go through any major SC city. So drivers on 95 are just passing through, getting cheap gas and not spending that savings in state. If they want a smooth I 95 so they can drive from Miami to New York, they can pay for it.

The flat $300 tax is odd, but it does help offset the property tax we pay on cars every year. Doing the math, I end up better off buying a car in SC without paying sales tax than the annual property tax comes out to added up for the length of the loan. I agree it should be weight based.
It was odd when I paid more sales tax on my used golf cart than if i would have bought a new Ferrari.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 06:21 PM

3,058 posts, read 931,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Obviously there's something wrong when SC ranks 44th in road safety. According the DOT, 20% of SC's bridges are obsolete and 40% of the roads are in mediocre or worse condition. Both of those seem to be standard.

The mighty infrastructure rich Texas has 19% obsolete bridges, NC is 30%, and ultra wealthy Connecticut is 34%. 45% of NC's roads are bad, Texas is 38%, and ultra wealthy Connecticut is a whopping 73%.

As someone said earlier, SC is good enough in the primary roads. It's our rural roads, curvy back roads, outdated interchanges, sections of interstate, and poor drivers that's the problem. 95 needs to be widened, but there's other roads that need attention first.
Coincidently the rural roads are where most of the accident fatalities come from.
From overall road quality however, SC ranks near the middle of the country.
https://www.google.com/amp/247wallst...rst-roads/amp/

I get the northeast gets poor roads from winter weather and massive traffic, but California blows my mind that it ranks so poorly when it has high gas taxes and fair weather.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:00 PM

1,749 posts, read 922,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No, the only area that they're working on in my list is Hwy 25.

The two areas on 385 that I mentioned are outside the current construction area.

Do we even want to talk about Hwy 14 up there by exit 19 in Gray Court, right outside the turn for ZF? That's an area that I can show you lots of pictures of, because every single day that I drive through there my dash cam gets enough of a jolt to trigger an auto-record because it thinks i've been in an accident. I had to slow down quickly around that area last week and hit that pothole/whatever it is.. Disrupted the vehicle so much that it triggered the anti-lock brakes and everything.

I agree with you that for the most part, the roads a fair to decent. But it just doesn't take too many bad spots to make people think that all the roads are all complete crap. And we've got alot of those bad spots.
I would have swore they were doing some work between Roper Mt and Pleasantburg on one side and Pleasntburg and the bridge in town there. Oh well.

Yeah, I know the place youre talking about on 14. For some reason that place has been there for decades. I remember it back in the late 70s early 80s when we would haul soybeans to the scales on Friendship. Even after repaving what 3 times now, the pothole keeps coming back.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:23 PM

6,003 posts, read 3,944,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I would have swore they were doing some work between Roper Mt and Pleasantburg on one side and Pleasntburg and the bridge in town there. Oh well.

Yeah, I know the place youre talking about on 14. For some reason that place has been there for decades. I remember it back in the late 70s early 80s when we would haul soybeans to the scales on Friendship. Even after repaving what 3 times now, the pothole keeps coming back.
There's been some work on the southbound side between Pleasantburg and Haywood.. And they have 'grooved' the Northbound side within a mile of the Pleasantburg exit.. So.. Perhaps that will get fixed. However.. I think that's one that is like the 14 pothole.. It keeps coming back. Probably due to drainage from the bridge.. Office is moving to Mauldin within a few months.. So that one won't bother me for too much longer.

Ones like that are especially dangerous, though. When you're hitting it coming down from a high rate of speed.. And, yes, the speed limit is 55 there, but still..

Someone mentioned fatalities.. You look at the states with the highest road fatalities, and they're mostly rural states. Places like Northern Virginia (Beats CA for bad traffic and bad drivers) you don't have alot of fatalities, mainly because many of the roads have lower speed limits, and the ones that don't you never get the chance to get up to speed because of traffic.

Having said that.. A friend from high school died in a traffic accident in NoVA, supposedly falling asleep at the wheel (I have suspicions as he did have a drug problem).. But, he went off the road, the car rolled, he wasn't wearing a seat belt.. And he went halfway out the sunroof when it rolled.

So.. Not to say that low-speed accidents can't be fatal..

Old 05-14-2017, 10:59 AM

270 posts, read 319,839 times
Default I agree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You should see Jacksonville's portion of 95 now. It's like the road fairy came and made everything new again.
When you cross from ( I95 ) SC to Georgia it is like another world. Better road and wider. As for Florida, much improvement to I95 as well. All that being said, I still love living in the upstate and would not move. I was just trying to point out, how someone traveling through SC on I95, might interpret our road systems.This could be the same for any road travel in SC. In my opinion, they would think the road system is very poor. Again, JMHO.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:25 PM

3,922 posts, read 5,314,899 times
Should this be in the South Carolina section instead of the Greenville section? 95 doesn't run through here.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,653,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Coincidently the rural roads are where most of the accident fatalities come from.
From overall road quality however, SC ranks near the middle of the country.
https://www.google.com/amp/247wallst...rst-roads/amp/

I get the northeast gets poor roads from winter weather and massive traffic, but California blows my mind that it ranks so poorly when it has high gas taxes and fair weather.
Good ole' Wisconsin ranked at 4th worst, only bested by CT, NJ and RI. Makes SC's middle of the pack ranking look fantastic. Even California is an improvement!

I've always thought the roads up here were pretty crappy, and now there's some data to back that up. Another reason to look forward to smoother cruisin'!

Old 05-15-2017, 02:49 PM

6,003 posts, read 3,944,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Another reason to look forward to smoother cruisin'!
Yeah.. Giving the government more money always fixes things.

sorry.. But I'm fully in the 'believe it when I see it' mindset with this.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:54 PM

3,623 posts, read 1,969,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Good ole' Wisconsin ranked at 4th worst, only bested by CT, NJ and RI. Makes SC's middle of the pack ranking look fantastic. Even California is an improvement!

I've always thought the roads up here were pretty crappy, and now there's some data to back that up. Another reason to look forward to smoother cruisin'!
Well Readers Digest has SC as the 3rd deadliest state and Wisconsin 37th, so I wouldn't get too comfortable with the smooth cruisin'. The state of SC's roads arent in third world state like people act, but we still have a ways to go to make things safer for everyone.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:38 AM

923 posts, read 1,460,423 times
We just made a trip from Greenville to Richmond. I-85 above Durham is in terrible condition. Then, I-95 all the way to Richmond is even worse. The roads in Richmond are dreadful. My point? It seems as though many states have road issues, not just little ole' South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area