U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 AM

5 posts, read 2,062 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Greenville this weekend, considering a relocation. We just signed a contract to sell our existing home this weekend, so our time is limited. Greenville is one of our top three picks. We would love feedback about the area, things to see and do, best family focused neighborhoods to scout out to either rent or buy.

A little more about our family......my husband and I both work from home. We have 3 children, ages 2, 4 and 6. Excellent Public schools are very important to us, as is a family friendly community with sidewalks, a community pool and neighbors with young children who enjoy a social environment. We are searching for a home at least 2,500 SF, Between $250-350K with 4-5 bedrooms and an office. 1/4 acre lot is ideal. Nothing built before 2000.

Also open to suggestions on where to stay, restaurants to scope out and parks to take the kids to. Anything that will give us a real sense of community and culture. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 06:06 AM

3,592 posts, read 11,324,921 times
Sidewalks will be a challenge. It seems most of the newer "corporate"subdivisions (like Ryan homes, slab foundation, small lots) have them but a lot of other ones do not. There seem to be a lot of homes with lots between .18 and .25 acre lots. I know I live in Simpsonville and they are building like gangbusters here which I think is driving down all prices so you can get a good deal. My kids are grown. Can't speak to the schools.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:30 AM

1,590 posts, read 3,021,671 times
where are you moving from? (you haven't completed your location information)

you do know this weekend is Artisphere - one of two biggest annual events for the city of Greeville (the other being Fall for Greenville) - DT parking will be near impossible to obtain

public schools in Greenville County are generally very good - even within the city of Greenville - all schools in SC are county-based - no city schools here - also, there are numerous city-data threads on local public schools - use the search function at the top right

as for sidewalks - the city of Greenville actively adds public sidewalks thru the NSTEP program - the county does not - much fewer sidewalks in the county

competitive and summer swimming are both HUGE in the Upstate - locally, Team Greenville is the competitive year-round program - fantastic coaches; alternatively, SAIL is the summer swimming organization - my kids swam for Gower Pool (which is considered the best community swimming pool/organization)

the Greenville area is GREAT for having/raising a family - only a few cons (personal cons IMO): high summer humidity (I hate humid days and it's humid here from June thru early Sept - dreading the upcoming summer) - of course, not as severe as Florida; there are distinct seasons and I often want a little more snow annually (it does snow/ice 2-3 time per winter); no easy access to winter sports (long, LONG drive to a decent ski resort); no pro sports (must drive to ATL or Charlotte)

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-14-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 05-14-2017, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 2,062 times
We are moving from Jacksonville, FL. Torn between Greenville, SC and Mooresville, NC. I was not aware of the Artisphere, but realize my op should have said this upcoming weekend, the 19th. I want seasons, less heat and humidity year round. A safe, clean, family oriented environment to raise our kids and enjoy life.

Last edited by MamaSnell; 05-14-2017 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 04:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,147,099 times
I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about Mooresville; you might want to post on the appropriate forum. However, I can answer some of your questions about Greenville. We definitely have 4 seasons here. Fall is particularly lovely. Spring is as well but in early spring there is a lot of green pollen to deal with, and it can get hot by mid May. However the humidity doesn't come until later, with July being pretty uncomfortable. Winters are generally mild; it can get cold but the cold weather doesn't last long.
With your price range you can get a nice home in Simspsonville, in a newer neighborhood.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,232,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSnell View Post
We are moving from Jacksonville, FL. Torn between Greenville, SC and Mooresville, NC. I was not aware of the Artisphere, but realize my op should have said this upcoming weekend, the 19th. I want seasons, less heat and humidity year round. A safe, clean, family oriented environment to raise our kids and enjoy life.
I think this upcoming weekend is the Greek Festival. They do a lot of different events downtown.

School quality in the area varies a lot from not good to excellent. Like others have pointed out, it has been discussed in a ton of previous posts on here.

It gets hot and humid here in the summer. The spring and fall are pretty awesome, though. Sadly, spring is almost over with highs forecast near 90 for much of this week. Winters are pretty mild with 1-2 snow / ice events per year. If you go further north where the summer humidity is less, you trade that off with more winter weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area